FYI, SDA SRS 2 run juuuust fine on a 50 wpc Chinese tube amp

Options
2»

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I ran no preamp for a few years, using the volume on my DAC. I then took a risk and bought a dedicated pre amp, the difference is huge, rolled some vintage tubes in there and the jump in quality is astounding. I'm a firm believer in pre amps now.

If you paid 100 for 8 Mullard tubes they are most likely re-issues. Which aren't that great, I remember trying them and liking the Chinese ones better. For me I'm loving American military tubes, they are dead quiet, reliable, super durable, and they sound great. Buy them with rubbed off silkscreen for a steal. My favs right now are RCA black plate and GE hammonds all from early sixties. Early sixties seems to be the sweet spot in tube production. But I'm still new to tubes, so be careful it's addicting!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    If you paid 100 for 8 Mullard tubes they are most likely re-issues.
    bummer, they sound good though. You've peaked my curiosity...what tube designation are the RCA's and GE's?

SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    If you paid 100 for 8 Mullard tubes they are most likely re-issues.
    bummer, they sound good though. You've peaked my curiosity...what tube designation are the RCA's and GE's?

I use 5814A and a 12AU7A. Mix and match and achieve your desired sound.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Rex81 wrote: »
    However, I also find that A/Bing constantly can drive you insane and it's always better to just sit back and enjoy the music. This hobby can be maddening if you let it.

I thought I was the only one. A/B'ing different LP pressings, LP vs FLAC, this cable vs that cable, for whatever reason starts to stress me out at which point I hear everything as sounding like cr@p. Now if I'm stressed out I don't even turn on my stereo until I get into a more relaxed state.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    However, I also find that A/Bing constantly can drive you insane and it's always better to just sit back and enjoy the music. This hobby can be maddening if you let it.

I thought I was the only one. A/B'ing different LP pressings, LP vs FLAC, this cable vs that cable, for whatever reason starts to stress me out at which point I hear everything as sounding like cr@p. Now if I'm stressed out I don't even turn on my stereo until I get into a more relaxed state.

I found my self doing this on Sunday. I was swapping this and that out, eventually I got frustrated and stopped. Came back and enjoyed the music. For me I have learned to swap something in and sit on it for a few days or even a week before I decide. Wayyy less stressful, I tend to think about things too much and stay up at night lol.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Couple drinks and be merry!!!!
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Couple drinks and do Mary!!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ... on second thought... naah.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TForan wrote: »
    That's interesting. I wasn't expecting the Crown to compare favorably.

I wasn't either. That's why I bought a new amp! :smile:

But this wasn't the first time the Crown has surprised me. Every amp I compare it to it bests. So far that includes Emotiva XPA-2, Yamaha M-2, and a Class D Audio SDS-400C. After hearing all the positive feed back on here I was going to give Parasound a try. So I was searching fro and A23, HCA-1500, or 2250, but went with the Yaqin instead.

There's another guy on some of the audio forums who pretty vocally prefers his Crown pro amp to his Parasound HCA, but people don't seem to like to believe him. :/

There's a big following of audiophiles using Crown DriveCore amps with great results, but there will be just as many people who doubt them. Maybe there's something about their sound that just speaks to certain people. I guess I'm one of them.

You're in Michigan aren't you? If you're ever passing through Lansing, bring your Yamaha over and we'll compare everything. I'd love to get more opinions.

I'm over in Fenton. Thanks for the invite, but if you've tried the Yamaha M2, the PC2002M, from what I've read, is very similar. It might be interesting to try my Parasound P5 through your system.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Mary aint all that, seen her in the locker room at the Ymca..... :p
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

Yeah but...WHICH locker room matters more.lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

Standing next to Bruce Caitlyn :s:s
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    Options

But this wasn't the first time the Crown has surprised me. Every amp I compare it to it bests. So far that includes Emotiva XPA-2, Yamaha M-2, and a Class D Audio SDS-400C. After hearing all the positive feed back on here I was going to give Parasound a try. So I was searching fro and A23, HCA-1500, or 2250, but went with the Yaqin instead.

There's another guy on some of the audio forums who pretty vocally prefers his Crown pro amp to his Parasound HCA, but people don't seem to like to believe him. :/

There's a big following of audiophiles using Crown DriveCore amps with great results, but there will be just as many people who doubt them. Maybe there's something about their sound that just speaks to certain people. I guess I'm one of them.

You're in Michigan aren't you? If you're ever passing through Lansing, bring your Yamaha over and we'll compare everything. I'd love to get more opinions.

I'm over in Fenton. Thanks for the invite, but if you've tried the Yamaha M2, the PC2002M, from what I've read, is very similar. It might be interesting to try my Parasound P5 through your system.

Fenton! The French Laundry has the best breakfast and pressed coffee in the world!
    It's the first place I go to when in town. Highly recommended eatin'!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Fenton! The French Laundry has the best breakfast and pressed coffee in the world!

About a mile away from me. :)

• lightman1
    Options
    Dig it! You are now on my world tour list.
    See ya late summer early fall.

About a mile away from me. :)

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    So, now that you have spent some time with your tube amp, what are your thoughts?
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    So, now that you have spent some time with your tube amp, what are your thoughts?

I really like it. I think tubes are definitely for me. The sound seems to have improved since I got it (about 100 hours on it so far). I won't say it's been "night and day". I think too many audiophiles overstate differences in sound. It's been a nice improvement.

I do have a slight issue with it. I get a little crackling in both channels from time to time. I've been in contact with Silk Audio and the owner has been working with me to troubleshoot. I've been out of the country traveling so I haven't had a lot of time to work on it. It may even be on my end, like my power supply or something.

Other than that, it's very quiet and powers tough loads with ease. I have a pair of big bookshelf speakers that present a VERY demanding load and clipped a friend's Rogue Audio Pharaoh quite easily. That's a $3,500 integrated tube amp. The Yaqin never broke a sweat. I believe it's transformers are quite a bit beefier than the Rogue's.

I also recently acquired a pair of KEF LS50, which are Stereophile Class A rated bookshelves. Although I found the sound of the SRS 2 to be slightly better on the Yaqin than my solid state amp, I think the KEFs REALLY shine on tubes vs solid state.

So in my limited experience, the Yaqin is generally better than my other amps, and much better on some speakers.

I may do some tube rolling in the future, but for now I'm happy with it as is.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you had to pick between the two, KEF vs Polk, which would you be the happiest with ?
  • Rex81
    Options
    The KEFs are certainly easier to place, handle, and have a higher WAF. In fact, my wife called them "beautiful", which is a first with any of my audio equipment. Plus they're new, so no need to worry about updating crossovers or frozen drivers or anything like that. They certainly win on clarity. They are crisp and clean throughout. With tubes they have a certain sweetness that I very much enjoy. They are extremely tonally accurate, something I've always appreciated about the Polks. And they put out a solid bottom end. You can run them without a sub and be happy. They don't go nearly as deep as the Polks, of course, but they produce all notes fully, save for those produced with digital instruments. Pretty amazing for such small speakers. Oh, and the build quality is top notch. They very much feel like a premium component. As you can see, I like them very much.

But, at the end of the day, if I had to choose one, I'd keep my SRS 2. What they give up in ultimate clarity, they earn back in fullness of sound. No other speaker I've heard has the ability to wrap you up in sound and produce such powerful impact throughout the entire musical spectrum. When I listen to them I don't feel like I need more clarity. In fact, I think some audiophile systems are tuned for too MUCH clarity. Real instruments don't sound so crisp and clean. Real instruments have bloom and mud and resonance. I think SDAs get the tonal balance just right. That balance, combined with a full, powerful range, and of course their broad soundstage make them my favorite.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited May 2016
    Options
    But, at the end of the day, if I had to choose one, I'd keep my SRS 2. What they give up in ultimate clarity, they earn back in fullness of sound. No other speaker I've heard has the ability to wrap you up in sound and produce such powerful impact throughout the entire musical spectrum. When I listen to them I don't feel like I need more clarity. In fact, I think some audiophile systems are tuned for too MUCH clarity. Real instruments don't sound so crisp and clean. Real instruments have bloom and mud and resonance. I think SDAs get the tonal balance just right. That balance, combined with a full, powerful range, and of course their broad soundstage make them my favorite.

Very true and excellent statement. FTR, I don't feel SDA's lack clarity, I feel that they are more organic than many "hyper" accurate speakers so it may seem like they come up short in the "clarity" area when in fact they are more "real" sounding.

Balance, decay, natural resonance, impact, etc, etc............all hallmarks of a superior speaker and for that matter superior audio components as well.

I won't expound further because you hit the nail on the head. SDA's are the most realistic speakers I've ever heard besides some electrostatics, and they don't always have that full balance going on.

Are they the "perfect" speaker for everyone in every situation with every piece of gear? No, but the BALANCE is what makes them so damn unflappable and likeable.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Rex81
    Options
    Yes, organic is a good word for the sound of SDAs. Too many audiophiles chase a mentally stimulating sound. It's a trap that's easy to fall into. That stimulation tickles the brain. But if you prioritize the sound effect, you'll find yourself removed from what real music sounds like. SDAs produce the music exactly as intended.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    That organic sound is also why I prefer tubes in the mix and also why I prefer low to medium wattage Pass gear. Which is minimal fussing with the integrity of the audio signal. Simple circuits, 1-2 gain stages, minimal negative feedback, etc. As a whole it all sounds how I think it should.

This, of course, is taking the actual recording out of the equation. There are some stinker recordings out there that reek havoc, but that's something we can't do anything about.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Rex81, very interesting. From what I've read the KEFs are wonderful speakers. I will finally have my SRS 2s together today with all mods completed. Really looking forward to it!
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Great to read about the tubes, and I'm surprised about the Crown - but may follow suit to drive my SDAs, just to see.

On the tube amp, also excellent review. I'm shopping for a tube amp to drive a pair of JBL C40 Harkness and will add this to the comparison list.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)