Polk Monitor 10 Opinions?

Options
Gunther16
Gunther16 Posts: 243
edited May 2016 in Vintage Speakers
Have a chance to pick up a pair of Monitor 10 (not A or B series) for what I think is a steal but know little to nothing about them. They are clean, sound good, Grills are in great shape, look lightly used, Cabinets are ok no major scratches/nicks. Heard them in not the best environment, stuck in corners about 4 inches from side walls and directly against the rear wall. Are these old vintage speakers any good? If you say yes or no please elaborate. Seller wants $100.00 for the pair. Any good?
Post edited by Gunther16 on

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have some 10's and really like them, but the 2 side by side drivers suffer from cross talk, so most will tell ya the Monitor 7's are the sweet spot.

But I like my 10's and for that price I would grab them up if it was me...I have some CRS+'s that i\I use more then the 10's as the SDA cable eliminates the cross talk but the 10's are still fun Speakers. I'm not selling mine anytime soon.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I own some 10's and I liked them enough to rebuild the crossovers and update the tweeters. I am not using them right now, but I am keeping them. If in good condition $100.00 is a good price.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They're nice sounding speakers but they suffer from a condition called lobing which if i remember correctly is because of the identically timed snd dispersion of the side by side mids causes the imaging to be perceived as wider than it should be/I use a set for rear surrounds which works well with their wider dispersion
  • Gunther16
    Options
    I was also contemplating on trying them as rear surrounds (at least comparing them to the FX I'm using currently or as a 7.1 setup). Thanks
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The 10s are great party speakers, and sound very good, but the 7s are better. They do everything the 10s do, without it's drawbacks. Very balanced from top to bottom.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Ha, Got the best "Party" speaker now thanks to you Dave. I think I just may get them for SAG. Not much to lose for $100. Can always relegate to the garage or something.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    At that price enjoy them & if you need-sell em off-get your money back. Great speakers. Good luck
    Randy/Maine
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    Anyone tried adding an inductor to one of the MWs to rid the lobing?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    I bought a set for the same price and A/B'd them with my 7's.

To my ears, the 10's are a bit more "open" and seem to do better with Classical and some Jazz (like Big Band).

The 7's are more focused overall and do better on other types of music.

The difference is pretty small, so I say go with the 10's and enjoy them.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Thanks all for your input. It was a bust, shortest speaker buy ever, Went to pick them up and was informed by the lady of the house that they were not for sale. Seems that the speakers in question did not belong to the person selling them. Speakers were given to her when she graduated from college by her father, had sentimental value and that the man of the house had no right to sell them. I said that I completely understand and went back home. I bet there are fireworks in the neighborhood tonight.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well that's too bad - for them, yikes, and for you too. You may have liked the Monitor 10s. I really enjoy my Monitor 10a's, even completely factory original, although they aren't quite at the level as my recapped / hurricane nuts / sound deadened / RD0's Monitor 7 v2's. The peerless tweeter is lovely.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • westmassguy
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Anyone tried adding an inductor to one of the MWs to rid the lobing?
    You could, that's what Polk did essentially with the RTA-12B & C. The outer woofers are rolled off above 600 Hz. You would need a 2nd order filter, an Inductor and Shunt Cap. This will throw off the voicing of the speaker however. The combined output of the two woofers relative to the output of the tweeter would be less.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    Monitor 10Bs are what brought me to this forum, so I thank mine for that. BUT, every other purchase I've made since just keeps moving the 10s further and further back in the rotation. As of this weekend, they are officially on garage duty. Looking good and doing a fine job there.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    The Monitor series has always applied to me. Now that I have a pair of 10As I have been bitten by "the bug" and had been looking for a pair of monitor 7s since. Definitely wouldn't mind a pair of SDAs but I'm pretty sure I'll need a bigger house/listening space first.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    JPete wrote: »
    Monitor 10Bs are what brought me to this forum, so I thank mine for that. BUT, every other purchase I've made since just keeps moving the 10s further and further back in the rotation. As of this weekend, they are officially on garage duty. Looking good and doing a fine job there.
    Before you give up on your 10Bs you should try putting the drivers, wiring and terminal cups from your CRS+ into your 10Bs to make them SDAs. (Keep the 10B passives in place.) You may find that putting your 10Bs in the garage was a mistake. I ran SDA 10Bs for a couple of years before I purchased my 2Bs. I preferred the sound of them over my CRS+.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    Before you give up on your 10Bs you should try putting the drivers, wiring and terminal cups from your CRS+ into your 10Bs to make them SDAs. (Keep the 10B passives in place.) You may find that putting your 10Bs in the garage was a mistake. I ran SDA 10Bs for a couple of years before I purchased my 2Bs. I preferred the sound of them over my CRS+.

Very interesting!. After reading this I immediately went onto ebay looking for a pair of SDA crossovers. I'd like to try this for myself. Any advise?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • TennMan
    Options
    Very simple to do. The only modification to the 10Bs is drilling a hole in the brace in the center of the 10B cabinet to mount the CRS+ crossover board. I think I used the same bolt from the CRS+ to mount them. Then swap everything from the CRS+ into the 10B cabinets with the exception of the passive radiators. Leave the passives for the 10Bs in place. Swap the terminal cups plug in all the wires. It is about as plug and play as you can get. The best part is you swap it all back just as easy if you don't like it.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options

I haven't given up on the 10s. The 10s are great for me in the garage. I spend a lot of time out there fiddling with the cars and whatever this time of year, so they're getting more use now than they were inside.

I have read mention of your SDA/10Bs before, and thought it was pretty cool. I'm sure they sound awesome. I fully upgraded my CRSs and haven't looked back. I like the look of the CRS in my room, with some custom built reproduction stands, everything else original(vinyl, grills, etc..). My next speaker purchase will probably not be Polks since I want to stray for a change. Old Infinity Kappas or Dunlavys.. Haven't decided or even started to search yet. Next good deal on some big SDAs around my area will be tempting though, and I'm always watching for them.

Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • TennMan
    Options
    I just throw this out from time to time in case someone might want to give it a try. It's a fun project for a rainy weekend if you have nothing better to do. You can't hurt anything by doing it. No wires need to be cut and no modifications are made to the CRS+ parts. Some people may like the sound and some won't. Purist probably won't like making changes to the original Polk designs. :)
  • westmassguy
    Options
    I just throw this out from time to time in case someone might want to give it a try. It's a fun project for a rainy weekend if you have nothing better to do. You can't hurt anything by doing it. No wires need to be cut and no modifications are made to the CRS+ parts. Some people may like the sound and some won't. Purist probably won't like making changes to the original Polk designs. :)
    You maniac....
    Franken-Polk
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • TennMan
    Options
    You maniac....
    Franken-Polk
    You know it Dave! You helped me take part in my delusional visions by installing those aftermarket parts on my crossover boards. haha!

I've still not given up on my idea of building a wider version of 2Bs that has the wide MW spacing of the CRS+ using all 2B parts. The only thing holding me back is not knowing how to build a speaker cabinet. Maybe one of these days I will be able to overcome that small obstacle. lol.

• westmassguy
    Options
    Local Cabinet Maker should be able to help you.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    Very simple to do. The only modification to the 10Bs is drilling a hole in the brace in the center of the 10B cabinet to mount the CRS+ crossover board. I think I used the same bolt from the CRS+ to mount them. Then swap everything from the CRS+ into the 10B cabinets with the exception of the passive radiators. Leave the passives for the 10Bs in place. Swap the terminal cups plug in all the wires. It is about as plug and play as you can get. The best part is you swap it all back just as easy if you don't like it.

Apart from the tweeters, What your saying is that the mid drivers from the 10As aren't compatible with the CRS crossovers?
  • TennMan
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    Apart from the tweeters, What your saying is that the mid drivers from the 10As aren't compatible with the CRS crossovers?
    I don't think the mid drivers in the 10As would be compatible. I think you would need to use 10Bs if you want to make a pair SDA 10s. The CRS+ parts that I used were all designed to work with each other. All I did was move them to a different cabinet. In my opinion you would be trying to mix and match too many electrical parts if you start with 10As. Dave might be able to give you a better answer about the 10As than I can.

• voltz
    Options
    would the SDA -10's need to use 1 6510 driver & 1 6511 driver like the CRS+ uses? then what about making a crossover from scratch for them and new binding post with a speak-on for the SDA cable?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• TennMan
    Options
    voltz, I think the key is using a 6511 for the dimensional driver. A 6503 would probably work for the stereo driver. 2Bs used the 6503, along with a 6511, and I'm pretty sure they have the same crossover circuit as the CRS+. I would avoid 10s that have the Peerless tweeter.
  • voltz
    Options
    I agree... I wondered what the other SDA used for stereo drivers and Dimensional drivers. was thinking that some early versions had 6503's and or 6510's then switched to the other.

• TennMan
    Options
    Over the years the drivers used in the SDA models changed as can be seen in the electrical schematics posted above. What I can't tell is if the circuits changed to compensate for different drivers that were used. I'm just not that good at reading the electrical schematics.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    The 2A or 86 CRS+ crossovers are compatible with the 10's woofers. The 2B or 87-89 CRS+ would need two 6511s.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • voltz
    Options
    thanks Dave!

I went to the SDA Speaker identification page and seen what drivers was used in the SDA you listed and now I know why those combo would work :)

http://www.gimpod.com/sda-id.html