Dual DSW550s

I have added another DSW550 to my setup. I use the Sony SRT-DN1050 AVR and the Blackstone satellites. I have a 7.2ch setup. The subs are placed about 2.5m apart on the front wall on either side of the TV and below the L + R front surrounds.

I was wondering what the phase should be set to on the subs "0"? The volume on each is set to 24. I hear the bass but I just expected more of it with a second sub. Any ideas?
Polkaudio TL350 satellites
Polkaudio OWM3 satellites for front high
Polkaudio DSWpro550wi subwoofers (x2)
Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
DSTV Explora HDPVR
PS4

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Assuming you have your L - C - R speakers set to "small" in the AVR, correct? If not give that a try. How large your room is, is also important, as well as how open it is to other rooms; you may be asking a lot of those subs to pressurize a big area.
    Try playing with the AVRs crossover setting as well, if it's set too low the subs will only play the freqs below that setting (usually 80Hz?). Maybe bump it up to 100 or 120Hz and see if that makes a difference. And if you control crossover with the Sony make sure it's disabled on the subs.

I don't believe the phase control has much to do with volume, I think it's just how it will integrate with the main speakers? Not totally sure on that but I always have the phase on my sub set to "0", that seems fine to me...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Kalito
    Kalito Posts: 30
    Hi thanks for that insight.

The room size is around 10m x 5m and on the right from the listening position is an open area adjoining to the dinning area which is around 4 x 5m. The opening is near where one of the subs is and is about 1.5m x 2m.

The surrounds are set to small yes and the cross-over is set to 120. I believe the Polk DSW550 with sub cable connected to LFE and setup as such disables the crossover on the sub automatically? The setting for crossover is therefore set on the Sony yes.

I think I was relying on the usual sound sources i.e normal digital satellite TV viewing to hear the subs rumble. I downloaded a Dolby ATMOs (but 5.1ch) clip and yup I did hear the thunder and the falling rain alright. Phase is set to 0.0vntwxqebw22.jpg
    Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
    Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
    DSTV Explora HDPVR
    PS4
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Yes, that is a big room, so you might want to play with the volume settings on the subs a little too (I think they go to a max of 40?).
    Nice setup there, I like the high ceilings with the speakers up there - the Wiremold neatens things up a lot.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Kalito
    Thanks Polrbehr and yes they go upto 40 but I have them around 25 and on the AVR around 3db. I am not sure if that is correct i.e if on the AVR perhaps they should be on 0?
    Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
    Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
    DSTV Explora HDPVR
    PS4
  • Kalito
    edited May 2016
    The high surrounds are OWM3s. Trying to make full use of the 7.2ch AVR B)
    Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
    Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
    DSTV Explora HDPVR
    PS4