Proper SDA functionality, tests?

Options
13»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    SDA's, IMO, have one of the most consistent, rock solid front, center image (if it's in the recording) that I have heard. At times, because of recording processes and techniques you will get some less than ordinary results with some of the background instruments. To see what I mean put in any stereo Beatles recording.

It's also amongst the best speaker I've heard recreating live recordings. One of the best, most realistic and engaging.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xllr8
    xllr8 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hehehe, not silly at all. But, yes that was always correct. I was always so struck at having a left/right speaker.
  • xllr8
    Options
    heiney9
    Great call on the Beatles! The band that got me into "psychoacoustic" ponderings. I'm thinking it may be time to purchase Floyd Toole's book.

amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers-Engineering/dp/0240520092
  • soulsurfer
    soulsurfer Posts: 22
    Options
    LOL
    I just picked up a pair of SDA SRS2s and can certainly attest to their need ...maybe fussiness? for specific placement as well as (usually) older recordings having an unusual affect on the stereo effect.
    Beatles are mostly dual-mono or a hybrid stereo/dual mono...which can reek havoc on that use phase cancelation of some sort to 'clean up' the stereo fx.

I have my pair in a 20x17-10ft ceiling with two windows, two doors and a closet/sliding door on one whole wall. (converted bedroom to my office/sound room)

Good in many ways but not necessarily perfect for the SDA SRS2s ...and yet, I've found them to outperform every speaker (some high-end) I've had in this room.
    Stereo is one thing...SDA is a whole nutter butter cookie.
    Carver TX-11b - Carver 4000t - Carver TFM45 x2 - Polk SDA SRS 2 (094 tweets) - RSL CG 8^2 (Howard's XO upgrade + driver upgrade = 350w rms and amazeball toanz)
  • heiney9
    Options
    Just telling it like it like I see it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tugboat
    tugboat Posts: 393
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Just telling it like it like I see it.

H9

How about trying it without the condescending attitude. Some don't have the experience others have with setting up the SDAs and are trying to get assistance. With some genuine help, they might be able to get it perfect, or good enough with compromises. Trying to make them feel they are wasting the time of the people here or talking down to them as if they are inept doesn't help and it makes for a poor environment for those seeking assistance. After all, that is what these forums are for. It's not the personal playground for the "elite" Polk owners.
    Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition

Pedestrians have the right of way, unless they are in the way
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Dude, you need to chill.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mrm24nvp5ru1.gif
    Randy/Maine
  • heiney9
    Options
    I do apologize tugboat as perhaps my wording was a bit terse. It was a general statement not really aimed at anyone in particular.

I still will call it like I see it, but perhaps, after re-reading it, I may have come off a bit dismissive.

H9
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I do apologize tugboat as perhaps my wording was a bit terse. It was a general statement not really aimed at anyone in particular.

I still will call it like I see it, but perhaps, after re-reading it, I may have come off a bit dismissive.

H9

Big meanie!
  • Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    No worse than others. I didn't read it as terse or dismissive :D
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Next time one of my rich neighbors throws our their 2 year old super thick carpet I am going to experiment with it on the side wall and the area in front of the speakers. Reason being is I think maybe IMHO that reflective (hard floors and side walls) surfaces may have an impact on the SDA effect seems like I remember and that was many years ago (26) the salesman asked me if I had carpeted floors or not.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • xllr8
    Options
    PolkieMan I'd absolutely get upon that as quickly as possible. All speakers benefit from a nice combo of scattering & absorption of early/first reflections, that a nice couch (bass trap) & BOOM!!! better stereo from ANY speaker.

That's straight outta the "Master Handbook of Acoustics; F. Alton Everest".

It's a simple maddeningly lesson I'm always "forgetting"/fighting, & you know what it's like fighting physics (you're gonna lose).

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    Hardwood floors can wreak havoc. Carpet placement is key. Even its location can change the sound. Side wall reflections with a hard floor are can be a touch combo to solve.

I met someone who loved hardwood floors. He once had a pair of older klipsch which he complained they were the worst speakers he ever heard, and anyone who liked them must be nuts or deaf. He hated most horn speakers, radiating tweeters, and even most domes. I had somebook shelf speakers on tall stands that were the "best ever". Even though it was explained that the floor was the problem, he would not hear of that. I think even when he heard horn speakers ans maybe others he didn't like in a carpeted room, he still heard the reflections in his mind. Only if he didn't know or couldn't hear what type of driver it was would he think they sounded good.