SDA 2 Purchase

Options
Hello, all. I've discovered the board by way of AK after purchasing a pair of SDA 2's today. Since this is where the experts reside, I'm throwing some questions out for response.
Thanks in advance!

I found a pair of these on CL listed for $250 but no interconnect cable. They looked in fine shape and the seller was quick to drop his price to $175 when I asked about the interconnect, so I was a bit skeptical. I went to his home (which is in an affluent area FWIW) and they looked even better in person. He had them hooked up to a small Realistic receiver just to show me all the drivers were working and I handed over the coin and loaded 'em up!
I was previously using some Klipsch KG4's with Crites upgrades and was in no way dissatisfied or even looking for other speakers. I just couldn't pass these up. I have a small room and since I also have 6 TV screens mounted on the wall that holds my audio gear, the speakers need to reside close to the wall on each side. Perfect for the KG4's but I wasn't sure about the Polks.
Anyway, they're sounding pretty nice right now and I plan to hunt down an interconnect ASAP.
So for some questions for the crowd. Does anyone know a source other the eBay? The only one on there now is $90. Speakers are currently 1 foot from the back wall and 9 1/2" from the side walls, with no toe in, and that's about the best I can do. Even so, comments on placement welcome.
How do I tell what series they are? I'm thinking SDA 2A's, but not too certain on how to pin that down. The sticker on the back just says SDA 2.
I'm powering them with a Luxman M-02 (with Luxman CX-100), so I should be good as far as their power needs. I also did a multimeter test to ensure it's a common ground amp.
Power Amps: Luxman M-02, Luxman M-2000, Luxman M-300
Preamps: Luxman CX-100, Luxman C-1010, Luxman C-120A
Speakers: Polk Audio SDA-2B's (no mods...yet), Klipsch KG4's (Crites Crossovers and Titanium Tweeters), Genesis 1's
Digital Front End: Marantz CD6005, Denon DVD-2200, Fiio X5 II
Headphones: Sennheiser RS180, Sennheiser HDR170 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (home). Sennheiser HD449 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (portable)
EQ: SAE 180 Parametric

Best Answers

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For the cable, if you intend on keeping them, I'd suggest converting to SpeakONs.
    Much better quality connectors, and you can use quality speaker cable, instead of the low grade type used originally, and the aftermarket ones being sold.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Those are definitely 2A's with the blade/blade cable. Neutrik SpeakOn's are your best bet. Be sure to get the 4 pole version (higher quality) and also be sure the socket is an air tight version.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,483
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Welcome to CP & Congrats on your beautiful speakers :) .... On a side note :::: we all here have talked about the Pin/Blade IC's & the pin is the important one & you can run temporary cord/wire from pin-to-pin & its ok to use -SO- with Blade/Blade which is the important one here. Is it just 1 blade ? And if so which one ? Can you run a temporary-so you can hear the SDA effect ? Just curious
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    Answer ✓
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Welcome to CP & Congrats on your beautiful speakers :) .... On a side note :::: we all here have talked about the Pin/Blade IC's & the pin is the important one & you can run temporary cord/wire from pin-to-pin & its ok to use -SO- with Blade/Blade which is the important one here. Is it just 1 blade ? And if so which one ? Can you run a temporary-so you can hear the SDA effect ? Just curious
    Randy, on the 1st through 3rd generation, two conductors were used. The full left and right signals were sent to the opposite speaker. On 4th and 5th generations, only the difference signal travels between the speakers via a single conductor.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,185
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I bought my connectors for my old blade blade on eBay if you go that route . I think they were called Jones Cinch plugs but I can't remember what model number.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,660
    Answer ✓
    Options
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    IIRC, you won't be able to see or respond to my PM(?), so I'll post here.

If you're in the CONUS, send me your address and I'll send you a blade/blade cable. Assuming you can't send me a PM, email it to me. Click on my user name in this post to see my email.

Congrats on the SDA's!

Craig

Nice gesture man!

Answers

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Options
    Post some pictures,that would be helpful
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • highway_chile
    Options
    5xvj7f8rob3k.jpg
    ajtymma6ke9j.jpg
    1x2sabi9b28k.jpg
    1nr9w2pq4isi.jpg
    e5l9lb9g368m.jpg
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA-2B's (no mods...yet), Klipsch KG4's (Crites Crossovers and Titanium Tweeters), Genesis 1's
    Headphones: Sennheiser RS180, Sennheiser HDR170 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (home). Sennheiser HD449 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (portable)
  • highway_chile
    Options
    Serial L SDA II 17236....well that tells us something right there!
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Welcome to CP. SDA-2As most likely.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • highway_chile
    Options
    Thanks for your input, gentlemen. I shall investigate the SpeakONs.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    A rule of thumb, never "corner" your SDA speakers :p
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    edited April 2016
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    A rule of thumb, never "corner" your SDA speakers :p

This is very true. It looks like there is not much space. Once you get an interconnect set up, I recommend trying them in different room or location so you get a better idea of what they are supposed to sound like. Once this is done, if they are going back to the location pictured, try and move them out a little more from the back wall and close the curtain. It looks like their may be some open space on the left, and if the curtain is heavy enough, it will help remove reflections on the right. A floor length curtain may also help. You may need sound deadening or a curtain on both sides, or may need to run the one on the right to the back wall.

If you are running these in an HT setup, try it without the interconnect first. Do it this way to at least get the delay times between speakers. Depending on your equipment, you can hook up the interconnect cable and all will be fine. At the easiest you may need to adjust their volume relative to the other speakers. If you are running a center and things sound off, you may need to adjust the front speaker width in the surround processor settings. Make them wider than they are. Make sure this does not change the delay or the distance relative to the listener.
  • highway_chile
    highway_chile Posts: 37
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks, Polkie and pkquat.
    The speakers you see sitting on top of the Polks are Wharfedales that are used with an Onkyo AVR for HT. I understand that SpeakONs would be the way to go if I were definitely keeping the SDA's, but due to my space limitations I may not be able to maximize them. I have a larger room downstairs, but it's really used only for HT, not stereo music listening, and the wife wouldn't want these big puppies down there.
    I still would like to get an interconnect and experiment first. I'm not having any success online finding the proper blade/blade hardware to make my own cable. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a suggestion on that?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    Speaker cable and some automotive crimp on spades in the right size. IF you go this route be sure to connect positive wire to one blade hole and Negative to the other OR YOU could let the magic smoke out.

or you could call Polk customer service and have them sell you one.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    IIRC, you won't be able to see or respond to my PM(?), so I'll post here.

If you're in the CONUS, send me your address and I'll send you a blade/blade cable. Assuming you can't send me a PM, email it to me. Click on my user name in this post to see my email.

Congrats on the SDA's!

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    I will say that your setup is the oddest that I have seen. Tell us how you utilize that many monitors from that seating distance. I have seen a lot of panorama gaming setups on desktops, but your rig confuses me.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • highway_chile
    Options
    Dennis-
    It's not for gaming. It's used during college football and basketball seasons. The additional screens pretty much lie dormant from April 1 to September 1. It's actually hard to imagine how the setup could be any better. I'm around 9 feet from the wall. 65" screen on top, 2-32" on the sides, and 3-40" below. The audio runs through an Impact Acoustics 6-way audio switcher and into an Onkyo TX-NR708 AVR with 5 Wharfedale speakers and an SVS PB-1000 subwoofer.
  • highway_chile
    Options
    You have a PM, VC. What a generous offer!
  • vcwatkins
    Options
    Cool. Guess you don't need 10 posts (or something like that?) to PM anymore.
    PM coming shortly.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • highway_chile
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I know this is an audio board, but since it was brought up I thought I'd post a photo of the system in action.
    thb9t9mdg9i8.jpg

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    Options
  • vcwatkins
    Options
    Nice! Like being in the Venetian sports book. How's the beer selection?
  • highway_chile
    Options
    Nice! Like being in the Venetian sports book. How's the beer selection?

Good food and drink is the norm and not the exception, let's put it that way VC!
    I shall certainly report back once the interconnect has arrived. I'm looking forward to it! The more I read about these speakers, the happier I am about the deal I got on them. A free cable just about makes it too good to be true.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Remember proper placement is very important! Rock on
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• vcwatkins
    Options
    Maybe drop the big boy down, so that its top is even with the top of the smaller two, and move the row of 3 to the top? Slide the SDA's inward a bit, face up, open beer.
  • highway_chile
    Options
    Maybe drop the big boy down, so that its top is even with the top of the smaller two, and move the row of 3 to the top? Slide the SDA's inward a bit, face up, open beer.

That actually sounds like a viable plan, VC. Not easy, but it just might work. The cable is slated to arrive on Thursday, so the experiment is about to begin. At this point I can place them accordingly. And I guess I'd have 4 months to get the screens moved if it came to that!
  • highway_chile
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I came home for lunch today to discover the cable had arrived from the generous Mr. Watkins. I don't have a ton of time for extensive testing at the moment, but I did get the SDA's moved back into the listening room, connected the interconnect, and put on Steely Dan's "Gaucho" MFSL CD on the Marantz CD6005.
    The room is set up as such: SDA's are 21" from the back wall. The right speaker is 27" from the side wall. Being pulled out from the wall and corner, the left speaker is now 47" from the closed door (which is the left wall). The speakers are 7' apart. My listening spot is atop a 7' triangle. This seems close, and some of the other measurements may seem helter skelter, but I'm playing the hand I'm dealt as far as room dimensions.
    I am noticing much more depth than I'm used to. I also have both fans running on the Luxman M-02, as these are much more power hungry than the KG-4's. I'm eager to get the day finished and do some more serious listening. I"ll have a good hour or so after work before the wife gets home.
    Thanks again to all who've offered their expertise, and first and foremost to VCWatkins for the interconnect. That is totally stupendous! More to come later.
  • boston1450
    Options
    You may find they are too far out. By looking at pictures above & being that far out creates quite a area behind them. Just saying. Placement is usually a issue with SDA's Try them & you decide
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited April 2016
    Options
    nm..,,,,,
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine