Onkyo TX NR3010 main 12v trigger

Has anyone figured out a way to rig my 3010 to have a main trigger for my amp? it has zone 2/3 triggers, but that doesn't turn on the amp unless i turn on zone 2/3. Need some help, i dont want to get up to turn on/off my amp, or leave my amp on all the time...
Thanks
(Main) Yamaha rx a3040, Emotiva XPA-5, 2X Polk Audio RTIA9, Definitive Technology Mythos 10, 2X Polk Audio M20, Klipsch RW12d, 55in LG led TV with color changing accent lights behind.
(Zone 2) Athena Technology AS-F2 100 inch elite fixed screen with led accent lights. Epson 1040 projector.
(Zone 3, outside deck) 2X Definitive Technology AW6500.
(Bedroom) Kenwood receiver, 2X Polk Audio Monitor 75t.

Comments

• fraydog07
    fraydog07 Posts: 36
    Here is the back panel... 88asabb4mjzc.jpeg
    (Main) Yamaha rx a3040, Emotiva XPA-5, 2X Polk Audio RTIA9, Definitive Technology Mythos 10, 2X Polk Audio M20, Klipsch RW12d, 55in LG led TV with color changing accent lights behind.
    (Zone 2) Athena Technology AS-F2 100 inch elite fixed screen with led accent lights. Epson 1040 projector.
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    I do it with my 807 and a Harmony One remote control - any chance you use a smart remote?
  • fraydog07
    Thank you so much, I forgot that my harmony one could do that!
  • fraydog07
    Im reprogramming the remote anyways the onkyo is new to me, and I haven't had to add my amp to the remote since my last receiver had a trigger! Thanks again!
  • fraydog07
    It doesn't seem to be kicking on the emo amp? Does it have a sensor in it? Or am I doing something else wrong...
  • fraydog07
    My xpa 5 does not have infrared capabilities.... back to the drawing board...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Hmmt, interesting that there doesn't seem to be a main 12v trigger. Are your zone triggers customizable, by chance?

The way I do this is with a power center that has triggered high current outlets.

I wonder if any of the IR repeater kits could be used to trigger your amp. You hit Monoprice or MCM yet?
    I disabled signatures.
  • adabro
    fraydog07 wrote: »
    My xpa 5 does not have infrared capabilities.... back to the drawing board...

I have the XPA 3 - the trigger comes from the Onkyo - you need the cable out from the Onkyo into the XPA trigger port (sorry it's been a while - forget the actual names).

You use the Onkyo remote to teach the Harmony remote how to turn zone 2 on and off - the emo doesn't need infrared, the Harmony and the Onkyo do all the work.
  • adabro
    OK - found this online - more of a step by step than my rambling...

Zone 2 trigger to activate a power amp

What I did was:
    1. Teach the Harmony one the command to turn on and off Zone 2.
    a. In the Harmony control program, go to the devices tab, select the receiver and click the "learn IR" button.
    b. Go down to the list and in the "Learn New Command" box enter the name you want for Zone2ON and click the "learn" button.
    c. Follow the program instructions and on the original receiver remote, press the Zone button once (it turns red) and then press the ON button. The Harmony should have now acknowledged the key press and learned the command.
    d. Back in the learn page, enter the name for Zone2OFF and click "learn".
    e. Without pressing anything else, press the STANDBY button on the original remote. Another command learned.

2. Now teach the Harmony remote that the receiver needs further commands to turn on and off:
    a. Go back to the devices screen in the Harmony control program and click on the "Settings" button for the receiver.
    b. Select "adjust power settings" from the list and click next.
    c. Go to the "Which command will Power On your device?" and select "My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off."
    d. Select Zone2ON as the second command needed.
    e. Do the same for "Which command will Power Off your device?" now selecting Zone2OFF as second power off command.

3. Update your remote. Connect the trigger to your power amp, make necessary adjustments. And you're all set!
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    edited April 2016
    Or: just hook the amp trigger to the zone 2 trigger output, then use 2 remote buttons in sequence to turn on the amp(s). First, hit the zone button (it will turn red), then the power button. Your amp(s) will turn on. Same thing to turn off. Hitting the zone button a second time turns it green, and toggles back to primary mode.

(Note - I have the same receiver - this works perfectly. You don't have to actually use Zone2/3 for audio output, just as an activation mechanism for the trigger.)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    0.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    F1nut wrote: »
    0.jpg

Hey, Beloved Overly-Zealous Oracle, didn't you already get banned once for being intentionally unhelpful to new posters asking questions?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2016
    You're being a bully.
    q454dg8lnm5q.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    0.jpg

Hey, Beloved Overly-Zealous Oracle, didn't you already get banned once for being intentionally unhelpful to new posters asking questions?

Nope.That was me. Woooooooooo!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    This is a huge advantage when going with the Integra Line instead of going Onkyo. Integra's have 3 triggers instead of just 2.
    The Programing of the remote was going to be my suggestion, just use zone 2 or 3 on and off in your macro and solve your issue you will.

Curious what speakers you are using since your using external amps. The internal amps on that Onkyo are quite nice.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • I loved the onkyo, just was not as user friendly as my wife or I would have liked. I found an amazing deal on a Yamaha rx a3040, and jumped on it. Sold the onkyo for close to what I paid so I can't complain! Love the new yamaha and it does everything I want!