Best way to play flac from Hard Drive

I have a squeezebox duet and it does ok but the server the flac is on is a pain. I'm looking for a device that I can plug in an external hard drive and play my audio files from it directly without a server. Yes, just like the squeezebox touch. Is eBay my only hope? Is there something better? Cheaper?
I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Take a look at the Sonicorbiter SE. It will use the Logitech Media Server software or some other software as shown on their website. Great for I2S over USB but will only use Toslink for SPDIF.

Sonore.com
    Carl

• Bigbang
    Bigbang Posts: 233
    Nice option. A little pricy but a great little device. Really worth it just wish it was around 200.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Do you have an Oppo BR player by chance?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Bigbang
    Bigbang Posts: 233
    No oppo but they look nice. The more I look at that sonicorbiter se, the more I like it. Am I missing something. What's the downside?
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2016
    The Oppo option will kill a couple birds with 1 stone---better video, CD play, SACD Play, music files via hard drive OR streamed wirelessly, etc, etc. All for $500 bucks. I use mine as my "universal" transport into a Benchmark DAC2.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    You can use a Go Flex HD Media Player. They play FLAC.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    I just got the BDP105D oppo and it seems to play anything from anything. DSD, 24/192 high res, DVD-A, SACD, BR, streaming etc from disc, usb input to dac, usb thumb drives, hard drives etc, and even has a nice interface and nice xlr outputs. The 103 looks to be the same thing at half the price except no DSD or xlr outputs.

Steve, will it output SACD to the external DAC in full resolution?
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2016
    The 103 does DSD, if that's what you mean.---wait, maybe I'm thinking of my DAC2...I pretty sure the 103 passes DSD via digital out. I haven't downloaded any DSD yet..

If you have an external DAC, the 103 is really the way to go, IMO.
  • steveinaz
    Just confirmed, yes the bdp-103 does dsd.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2016
    I would need to check but my WD Live TV may do FLAC and you can connect a Hard Drive to it to play stuff.

According to Western Digital's website it will play FLAC.

IIRC your also in Indianapolis. This becomes relevant as I'm looking to sell mine am also in/around Indianapolis. If interested I could verify it (I have some FLAC on my pc I could play) and we could maybe work something out.

Not sure if its a ton faster than the Logitech when it comes to browsing your music, but its an option.

Media File Formats Supported on the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, WD TV Live Hub Media Center, WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, WD TV Live (WDBAAx0000NBK) HD Media Player, and WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2) (Based on Firmware Version 3.12.13 for the WD TV Live Hub Media Center, 1.06.16_B for the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live HD Media Player and 1.01.77 for the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2))

Video -- MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264), M2TS, TP, TRP, TS, MP4, ASF, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)

MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.
    FLV file extensions are supported (using a video codec of H.264 and an Audio codec of AAC only) in the latest firmware version for all of the above devices besides the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2).
    RMVB videos from Real Media are not supported. You will need to use conversion software to convert them to a supported format.
    The WD TV Live HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of supported codecs for each file extension.

Pictures -- JPEG/JPG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG

JPEG only supports compressed RGB format files. BMP only supports uncompressed files. TIFF only supports single layer files. BMP, TIFF/TIF, PNG, and GIF have a max resolution of 2048x2048. JPEG/JPG has a max resolution of 4096x4096 unless it is in a progressive format, then maxes out at 1280x720.

Audio -- MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS

AAC/Dolby Digital/DTS decodes in 2 channel output only. You will need an audio receiver capable of decoding these codecs for additional channels.

Playlists -- PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitles -- SRT, ****, SSA, SUB, SMI
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Can I ask what exactly the problem is? Is there lag/studdering with the music, is the navigation taking too long, etc.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)