Anybody try this RCM out?

Options
http://m.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printed-Record-Cleaning-Machine-Bring-your-old-vinyl-back-to-life-/151903631006?nav=SEARCH

Seems legit and is half the price of the inexpensive Record Doctor sold at Audio Advisor, I've seen the video and it appears to work pretty good. If you already have a smaller shop vac you are set. I am considering this as a replacement for my spin clean without having to spend the dollars the VPI's and Okki Nokki's cost
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    Lots of love for it over on AK. The turntable is stout, if you don't require a cabinet and don't mind supplying a vac unit, it might be for you.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/100-rcm-record-cleaning-machine.457854/

Here is the thread I found out about it on one of the posts has the you tube footage you can watch, looks like it would do the job and very well.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• gudnoyez
    Options
    Lots of love for it over on AK. The turntable is stout, if you don't require a cabinet and don't mind supplying a vac unit, it might be for you.

Thats the best thing, I own a few shop vacs so I would be set, and until arthritis sits in the motor will always work :D
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    Man, nice share on this. I'm curious now, as well. Would love to see what a vacuum RCM can do for listening quality, but can't quite get myself onboard with one of higher end recommendations yet. Everyone I've spoken with who owns a vacuum RCM swears by it; essential gear.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited March 2016
    Options
    $100 plus a shop vac? Almost seems too good to be true. Either that or what the brand name RCM's cost are extraordinarily priced. Shop vacs are really loud, that's my only thought on a downfall. At least the Stanley one I have is really loud, are there quiet(er) shop vacs out there?

Thanks for sharing, I'll do some reading. If you get one please share your thoughts.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    I checked out a VPI and honestly it was pretty loud, the best thing about this one if the vacuum wears out you just replace it, a $20 cost and the only part of your cleaning rig ya gotta plug in and turn on and off.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I think that one of these mounted onto a hush box (heavily foamed, plywood) that had a remote switch would be ideal for $150 investment.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Everyone I've spoken with who owns a vacuum RCM swears by it; essential gear.

Yep.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have the VPI 16.5 and its really loud!!! but I can not see being without it, the other cheaper alternatives should work fine as they basically work the same way, but the VPI spins it for you freeing up your hands for applying the cleaner and holding the cleaning brushes...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What about the lick and wipe on my pants method I use on my CDs? :s
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

I use the "Hot Breath, Pant Leg Spin" myself.....

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Don't they dissolve?
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Too weird I was literally just looking at this unit less than 5 min ago and considering ordering.LOL. any down side I can't see?
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • msg
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just finished watching the video - I think I'm going to give this thing a shot.
    I'm going to order direct from Nik at http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/
    I'll let you guys know if it does anything to remove jerk record shop owner juju, too.
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printed-Record-Cleaning-Machine-Bring-your-old-vinyl-back-to-life-/151903631006?nav=SEARCH
    Seems legit and is half the price of the inexpensive Record Doctor sold at Audio Advisor, I've seen the video and it appears to work pretty good. If you already have a smaller shop vac you are set. I am considering this as a replacement for my spin clean without having to spend the dollars the VPI's and Okki Nokki's cost
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I ordered this unit from Nick the Canadian last week. Very polite, eh?
    pa8qc8v80g4l.jpg

I need to find a place to find some cleaning brushes like the ones he has in this video below (any ideas where to source?) And some squeezy bottles for the cleaning fluid and rinse. I'll probably go with one of the cleaning fluid ree-sipes I've seen in some of the other posts I've seen discussion about here: Website - http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/
    Ebay Listing - http://www.ebay.com/itm/151903631006
    Demo video. Looks like pretty decent build quality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbphnT1d-ys
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    I will be getting this one also, but have to hold off a bit need to order a dust cover for a turntable that's in route. I believe I'm going to get the goat hair brush from Okki Nokki to go along with the canfab and order the record doctor concentrate cleaner which mixes with a gallon of distilled water. I plan on using the spin clean in conjunction with this for a distilled water only rinse after cleaning. Looking forward to your review on yours.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• msg
    Options
    The Spin Clean rinse sounds like a good idea.
    Just checked out that brush. Interesting.
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OKGHRCB
    3n715k3iq55k.jpg

I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I was thinking the same. Using it in conjunction with the Spinclean would be a good idea. I'd probably do the Spinclean first and then the vacuum. The Spinclean actually brushes the LP with some force, I'd imagine that would dislodge anything better than just wetting with a very soft brush and then vacuuming?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • voltz
    Options
    The only brushes I have used are the VPI ones you get with their RCM's, I have 3 I use one for each cleaner and 1 for the rinse.
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7660-vpi-replacement-brush-for-16-series.aspx
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I was thinking the same. Using it in conjunction with the Spinclean would be a good idea. I'd probably do the Spinclean first and then the vacuum. The Spinclean actually brushes the LP with some force, I'd imagine that would dislodge anything better than just wetting with a very soft brush and then vacuuming?

I don't think the Spinclean applies any more force than the brushes on my MiniPro truthfully, its the vacuum that makes the difference IMO. I will say I like my Spinclean for the really grungy stuff as a prewash (then I vac on the Minipro)

That said - I applaud the DIY in this thread for a vacuum machine, if I was handier I would have done it myself as well. You're going to get the same results at a much lower price, with maybe a little less inconvenience. (For instance the minipro brushes and vacuums both sides at the same time, or Darryl's note that automatic rotation allows free hands for brushing - both conveniences not to be underestimated!)

On a side note - Darryl, you make me feel like a slacker - three brushes for cleaners and rinse! I am SO lazy LOL!!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• voltz
    Options
    but the 2 extra brushes set me back another $100

Yes the VPI turnes the LP for you but...

If you have never use the VPI then you don't know what your missing, if you don't know what your missing then you won't miss it! B)

• scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited April 2016
    Options
    recently got a KAB, its a model ev1.

I use a hand steamer, then a spin doctor, then the kab with the vacuum cleaner to take it all off, so far so great, will report back.
    Post edited by scottyboy76 on
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • msg
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hey guys, got all my stuff together for the SqueakyCleanVinyl 3D Printed RCM from CanFab3D.

CURRENT KIT IS AS FOLLOWS
    • 1 - 3D Printed RCM Kit from CanFab 3D
    • 1 - Cleaning brush (included with kit)
    • 1 - Shop-vac
    • 2 - Squeezy Bottle (500ml/~16oz); one for cleaning solution, one rinse | http://amzn.to/1Q1LAph
    • 2 - Gallon Distilled Water
    • 1 - VPI Record Cleaning Fluid Concentrate | http://amzn.to/1Q1LrlH
    • 1 - 2 pack 99% Isopropyl Alcohol | http://amzn.to/1Q1LG05
    For the cleaning solution, I used VPI's pour-in concentrate (thanks @voltz), which you mix with 1gal distilled water to make approx 1gal of cleaning solution. I marked one jug W for wash, the other R for rinse. Probably going to draw a skull and crossbones on them, too, so the W won't be mistaken for... Water.

FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
    • I am thinking about removing from the 500ml/16oz squeezy bottle approximately 50-100ml (~1.5oz to 3oz) of the VPI mixed cleaning solution, and replacing with same amount of 99% Isopropyl alcohol (I will probably do this now, in fact, the more I think about it)
    • I will probably add at least one additional brush to this kit/method, and possibly play around with a steamer.
    • I will probably also experiment with a DIY cleaning solution recipe instead of the VPI concentrate, given its cost.
    I'm not really sure what the alcohol will do at this point, and need to read up more for specifics. I would imagine it helps release oily deposits and may help optimize the moisture evacuation/drying process.

I also wanted to post up this link to Nick's site - he offers his plans for a full on stand-alone RCM Station for a more finished approach. You can purchase a more elementary kit from him, and source the other parts yourself for an even cheaper approach if you prefer a bit of DIY. Looks pretty easy, so this could be another option for any DIY'ers interested in building a full on station. If you don't need/want all that, then the turnkey tabletop kit (subject of this thread) seems to be a good option. I like this idea best at this point because it was the easiest way for me to get up and running, and you can set it up and take it down when you're done, and store it away in a tub or something.

http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/diy-rcm-instructions.html
    53jz0ea3c02p.jpg

I'll post up with my impressions of the 3D printed RCM after I get a chance to use it. Not sure that'll be today since I have some grown-up responsibilities to see to, but I do have a couple of dirty records that need some attention.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    Can't wait to hear your impressions, glad I started this thread. I have ordered my ginko cover it will ship soon, then record store day next Saturday, then ordering one of these from Nik. I would go with the VPI or other Concentrates to start out with and gather information on your on home mixture, but I assume SCompRacer has a well tested concoction of his own he could recommend. Get your adult responsibilities done and report back B)
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    When you get tired of turning the record, you could always add the motor from an old ice cream maker. They have high torque and turn slow.
  • msg
    Options
    ah, interesting idea!
    I disabled signatures.
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Just finished building this one using Nick's (3d from canada) used 3/4" cherry hardwood veneer. Stained with traditional cherry stain and 3 coats of Simi gloss polyfb8cuvr06q99.jpg
    gyv5rbcoglt2.jpg
    r69ll0tvrrmb.jpg
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • msg
    Options
    nice! where'd you get your squeezy bottles? I went with the ones I linked above and they leak.

have you tried it out yet? I haven't gotten around to washing any yet, but just got a new album this morning from Discogs, and it needs a little attention.
    I disabled signatures.
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Got the bottles at "Micheals" craft store. Will start using today and tomorrow.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Just cleaned my first album (ARS ) with the RCM. Results were stellar as the album was unlistenable (if that's a word) before ,now like brand new album. Dead quiet. I'm sold!
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable