Cartridge options....

Options
I have narrowed my selection down to these...

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/cartridges-clearaudio-titanium-v2-mc-in-sealed-box-free-shipping-2016-04-03-analog-680602

http://clearaudio.de/_assets/_pdf/manuals/cartridges/CA_MC V2_E+D.pdf

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/cartridges-einstein-the-pickup-cartridge-positive-feedback-a-2016-03-24-analog-90077-los-angeles-ca

http://www.einstein-audio.de/download/The-Pick-Up-en.pdf

The Einstein intrigues me quite a bit, but it would appear the ClearAudio does spec out a bit better. Anyone have some opinions between these two, or perhaps some other options I have yet to consider?

Thanks for any help here guys, as I am so far out of my depth here that it scares the crap out of me....
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I'm pretty sure either of those would be a statement piece. Dropping that amount of coin with out being able to try it out on your table first would scare me. What cartridge are you running at the moment?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    I am using a Dynavector 20x2 high output
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What type of sound are you looking for and what are you using for your phono preamp? Also like gudnuyez was saying getting your ears on some really good carts is definitely a great idea in your price range. From what I've seen on the Gon, there are a lot of high end shops in your area. I think your OL is medium mass, so it should pair well with a lot of carts.

If you like the Dynavector sound, the XV-1s would be a good one to look at. Haven't heard it personally, but have heard the XX-2 and loved the sound. I have a Karat and really enjoy it. I really like the Shelter sound, warm yet detailed. Get your ears on a high-end Shelter if you can. Another I would look at besides the high end Soundsmith carts mentioned above would be the Cartridge Man carts. I have a Music Maker 3 and love it! It has moving coil quickness and detail with moving magnet/moving iron tone. It's a wonderful cart. CM makes two carts above the MM3 that would be great on your deck.

Of the ones you mentioned above haven't heard either but can say that CA carts in general can sound a little on the analytical side to me. In your price range, you have a ton of options. Get out to the shops and get your ears on as many carts as you can. I would also contact Origin Live and Triangle Art and get their recommendations.
    Post edited by Dawgfish on
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Pass Xono pre... Looking for a warmish, full bodied sound that has some sparkle up top and slam down low. For the coin spent on this, I guess I kinds want it all and thensome.

• Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    Wow, you are so far out my depth on carts it's unreal..
    Best of luck finding what you want for that kind of coin..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Dawgfish
    Options
    I hear ya, as well you should! :-) Both the upper end Shelters and Dynavectors have the type of sound you described. The Shelters in general are slightly warmer, while the Dynavectors in general are slightly quicker. I love the sound of both, but prefer the Shelters for everyday listening. They do everything right and are easy on the ear.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The ClearAudio can be mine for 4k, and the Einstein for the same... I have been somewhat unimpressed by the Dynavector I currently have, and preferred the Sumiko BPS EvoIII over it by a wide margin. I need to pull the trigger here on one of them in the next 24 or I lose out on them. The Einstein is local, and the other comes from Singapore if that matters.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Can't really help you as usual. Definitely can't tell any differences between the 2, but if you decide to change again I think the Clear Audio would be easier to resell...just my HO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I did see a C/A Goldfinger v2 go for 5k not to long ago... Part of me is wondering if I should hold out a bit more.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Did you chat with TriangleArt, and Origin with recommendations? Even Pass labs
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Not yet... That will happen tomorrow

• txcoastal1
    Options
    With that kind of dough and especially cartridges you have to be very methodical due to loss of value...I know you know that, but even from here I'm nervous for you...just glad you ended up with a super star :)

• Dawgfish
    Options
    The ClearAudio can be mine for 4k, and the Einstein for the same... I have been somewhat unimpressed by the Dynavector I currently have, and preferred the Sumiko BPS EvoIII over it by a wide margin. I need to pull the trigger here on one of them in the next 24 or I lose out on them. The Einstein is local, and the other comes from Singapore if that matters.

I hear ya. I had the 20XH as well and it didn't float my boat. The 20X has the most recessed mid-range of all the DV carts. The Karat and XX-2 run circles around it imho. A lot of people including myself even like the 10X5 over the 20X. I wouldn't be in a great rush given what you are going to spend on the cart. Take your time, get your research in, and listen to as many carts as possible. A deal will always show up, and there are literally dozens of other brands of carts that will sound awesome in your price range. I wouldn't limit yourself to only the two carts you identified. I would also see if any of the local shops let you try carts on a trial basis so you can hear how they mesh with your arm, deck, system, and llistening preferences.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The Einstein will be coming home tomorrow even though I lean towards the C/A. He is letting me home demo for a week, and knocking the price down quite a bit. The C/A is said to have a 95db or better s/n ratio, whereas the Einstein is about 78db.... We shall see what my ears tell me to do.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    What your ears tell ya to do ? How about your conscience....."Told ya not to go down that vinyl rabbit hole....told ya....told ya ".

Lol.....good luck though, hope you find your huckleberry.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    What your ears tell ya to do ? How about your conscience....."Told ya not to go down that vinyl rabbit hole....told ya....told ya ".

Lol.....good luck though, hope you find your huckleberry.

Thanks Tony. The C/A seller threw a wrench into things this morning. 4k ahipped and paypal'd for new in the box on a 9k cartridge. The reviews on it have me thinking it is the right call....

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    These cartridges cost more than all my gear and car combined. You dudes are way serious about vinyl which is putting it mildly. lol or holy sh%t.. I'm scared to ask how much are your TTs
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    that is how you play lets make a deal!

Now if you had multiple tonearms you could get both B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • txcoastal1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    These cartridges cost more than all my gear and car combined. You dudes are way serious about vinyl which is putting it mildly. lol or holy sh%t.. I'm scared to ask how much are your TTs

Put it this way...
    The sweet deals he's made putting it together he'll lose very little if any on a resale, I know this because I'll buy it ;)

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited April 2016
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Put it this way...
    The sweet deals he's made putting it together he'll lose very little if any on a resale, I know this because I'll buy it ;)

You're in the vinyl rabbit hole?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Put it this way...

You're in the vinyl rabbit hole?

Nope, but John's setup would be a helluva start

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Just for opinions sake. I used to own a Dual 1225 w/ a Shure cart MK5 I think. Back in the day when clean albums meant nothing to me and they supplied a multi stacking spindle ,that's exactly what I did. I figured if the machine can do the work,why not. I loaded a good 5 LPs let them drop and nodded out to mostly at that time the British Blues scene. Original Fleetwood Mac, Beano album, Fresh Cream Savoy Brown and others like Procal Harum,Spooky Tooth and of course Ten Years After. Round about way to ask what you guys thought of Dual TTs w/ the beveled United Audio Plinth base.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I went for the C/A... for less than 50 percent of the retail price for a class A+ cart like that, it seems to be a no brainer. I will be selling off my entire franklin/Danbury mint car collection to pay for it, but they have been boxed up for so long now that I forget what they even look like.

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    Who is doing the install?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    Who is doing the install?

I can handle it, but I may have someone come out and take a look. the last "professional" that saw my rig thought I was effin' nuts for having 1.2TL's, and said I should look for something better. When I asked him what I could get for under 5g that would be better, he just gave me a stupid look.

• thsmith
    Options
    Good for you. I use a Best tractor and USB microscope and very pleased with the results, followed by test record and fozgometer.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    Good for you. I use a Best tractor and USB microscope and very pleased with the results, followed by test record and fozgometer.
    You need to use a plane ticket and come to visit us at the end of the month

• thsmith
    Options
    Would love too and who knows I might just do that.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Anybody ever in my neck of the woods is welcome to drop by and spend some time in the sweet spot. It is an amazing place to be with eyes closed and a beer in hand.