Preschool for 2yo... good experiences?

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    +1 for preschool. We have 3 kids aged 5 and under. They are all in care of some kind. My 5yo is in Pre-K which is what I equate to preschool. The others are at a daycare, but it has some academic curriculum so maybe that is what you are referring to as preschool? Our kids do very well socially. I think some of that can be attributed to their preschooling.

How many days/week do you get for $660/mo? That seems like a pretty good price.

6 hours of preschool a week only.
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Just my opinion---but with my lack of trust in people (in general) I would minimize the time (if my kids were still small) they spent in someone elses care if I could avoid it.
    cnh wrote: »
    It's been YEARS now, but, yes, we did have our daughter in a preschool for about two years, almost the full day (not quite), because both of us work and the grandparents were no longer with us-they had provided care during the first two years, and a bit! Fortunately, we're a block away from the center so we could pop in whenever, and it's a small town where things are pretty safe and calm. Plus we knew the woman who ran the center.

The unasked question, and forgive me if I'm prying, is that's an awful lot of maintenance for your daughter, I'm assuming she has some kind of condition (at birth). Our daughter was born with no problems, she spoke early, about 16 months or so, and hasn't stopped talking since, she also, like her mother, has a gift for language and languages, and is currently a freshman at University (went British on you there!).

Regarding socialization! YES, that's important, serves a child well as they move forward. Cost, the daycare/school does not sound like much there, but you also have a lot of other expenses most don't so I understand the concerns. Only you can answer those questions, but where I come from, we spare no expense for our children, sacrifice everything, kinda like rooftop above!

Appreciate the advice. My daughter is small and has had feeding problems due to allergies that even I couldn't figure out or help with. Because of that she has some speech delay and gets good experience at preschool. I am not sure if speech therapy is helping or if they are just pushing it just because... So I feel like I am being taken there. Preschool to me is a hit or miss because I never went to one and developed fine. So that's why I brought this up.

Here is my problem - I am not convinced that preschool is a necessity. But I don't want to hold my kid back too because dad didn't want to spend money when he's got a huge audio system.

That would make me completely stupid as a parent and I would deserve to get kicked in the balls.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'll help you with that Joey. I promise no steel toe boots...

Make an effort to see if speech is helping. Check out what they are working on and see if it helps. Personally I thin 2 years old is young. I think we started our son at almost 4 years old. I can't remember if UNT pricing is insurance dependent but I think it isn't.

Skip

That's the thing I can't separate what is helping or what is normal development.

But if I stopped speech, what if it IS helping? Then I just made a huge mistake.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    My comments was strictly financial based. At 2600 a month, you'd have to bring home roughly 4k gross a month to balance it all out. After taxes, then added gas to and from work, dry cleaning bills, etc. You have to add up what it cost to chase that working salary too and then balance if it's worth it to you or not. That's all I was referring to. If it works for you, cool....I just have a bad habit of doing math is all. ;)

Even on a purely financial basis, you are not thinking long-term my man. Mom who stays home loses out on valuable work experience, raises, promotions, retirement, benefits, etc. One study found that women who took just one year out of the workforce sacrificed 20% of their lifetime earnings. Women who took two or three years earned 30% less. Another study found that leaving the workforce has a significant negative effect on women’s wages even twenty years after a career interruption. The bottom line, the smarter longterm financial choice for an educated, successful women is to stay at work, even if it doesn't really make in the short term. As we say in my house, short-term pain, long-term gain.

As to Joey's question, yes I think that a development center is worth it, not necessarily just a day care where they just babysit your kids.

And dude, are you seriously concerned about spending 8 grand a year on your precious child when you are thinking of spending almost that much on speaker cables? WTF is wrong with you??? You 6itch about not being able to put 55 grand in retirement a year when there are people on this forum who don't make that much a year. You flaunt all your huge purchases, your perfect credit score, etc., and then ask if you should pay a couple grand for your wife and child's well-being? Wow, just wow.

Sorry for the rant. I'm out.

Last thing RT

I find this forum to be very accommodating. I've been on this forum for over a decade. I think of this place as a sounding board where legitimate people of all sorts of backgrounds reside.

If you feel like I have been showing off, then that's my fault. Not my intention.

Why show off? Nothing to gain, just animosity. Honestly I don't care. I post about audio because it's fun and it's the core of this forum. The other stuff, I choose to post because I like the people here and value their opinions. It's nice to hear from others, they give input, either publicly or the numerous PM I get.

I have made some good friends on this forum. But I understand as well if I have made some who may not like me. And that's ok. That's life.

I treat this place like a good hang out. Good things and bad things or questionable things I post about it. Polk forum just holds a special place in my heart.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    The summer is coming up. Evaluate then. I have noticed a regression in my sons speech since he quit at UNT. They helped him considerably. The schools refuse to help because according to them he is 'on par'.

See that's what I fear.

Good info skip, as per usual bud
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    We have 4 kids, both work and moved twice while they were young. We went through a lot of preschools. We found excellent ones but went through some less than stellar ones on the way. Make it a point to drop in unannounced occasionally. If it's not what you thought, move on. Preschool was good for ours - just make sure it's what it appears to be.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The summer is coming up. Evaluate then. I have noticed a regression in my sons speech since he quit at UNT. They helped him considerably. The schools refuse to help because according to them he is 'on par'.

Nuthin' like high standards some schools hold eh ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited April 2016
    Options
    BTW Joey,
    Allergies are usually a symptom of a weak immune system. Let that kid play in the dirt, build up some resistance. :) Nutritionally do the best you can to boost her immune system. You may also have to keep an eye on her digestion as well and take steps to boost that also.

Speech therapy works, but it works better when reinforced at home also. I wouldn't stop it, she's too young and still developing her speech. My oldest was in it for years when she was young. Didn't have any problems until they took out her tonsils. Which to me is a useless procedure. I go by the theory if it ain't broke don't fix it. The wife at that time said " But the doctor said...", and I was against it. So they took her tonsils and it cost me big time in speech therapy for a few years.

I'm not sure what occupational therapy is for her, or feeding therapy, so maybe you can elaborate on that some.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    We have 4 kids, both work and moved twice while they were young. We went through a lot of preschools. We found excellent ones but went through some less than stellar ones on the way. Make it a point to drop in unannounced occasionally. If it's not what you thought, move on. Preschool was good for ours - just make sure it's what it appears to be.

Good point here
    BTW Joey,
    Allergies are usually a symptom of a weak immune system. Let that kid play in the dirt, build up some resistance. :) Nutritionally do the best you can to boost her immune system. You may also have to keep an eye on her digestion as well and take steps to boost that also.

Speech therapy works, but it works better when reinforced at home also. I wouldn't stop it, she's too young and still developing her speech. My oldest was in it for years when she was young. Didn't have any problems until they took out her tonsils. Which to me is a useless procedure. I go by the theory if it ain't broke don't fix it. The wife at that time said " But the doctor said...", and I was against it. So they took her tonsils and it cost me big time in speech therapy for a few years.

I'm not sure what occupational therapy is for her, or feeding therapy, so maybe you can elaborate on that some.

Ha tony... We need to talk behind the scenes. I'm going to catch you up
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

Goodness, $110/hr? That's way high. And don't get me wrong, I am spending $30k this year alone for my kids care so I have a realistic reference point.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here is my problem - I am not convinced that preschool is a necessity. But I don't want to hold my kid back too....

It's not.

At that age I think it's more important for a child to spend as much time as possible with their parents. For a while now there's been a push to start the formal education process at a very young age, which more or less deprives them of being kids. The tragic results you see on the news just about weekly.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I think it is sad that you would farm out raising babies for making money

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think that's the case with Joey as his wife, from what I can tell, doesn't work.

Speaking of work, a stay at home mom works a thousand times harder than any "career" woman.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I was not talking about Joey.

Putting babies in daycare when it optional is sad to me. What a rotten thing to say huh?
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Speaking of work, a stay at home mom works a thousand times harder than any "career" woman.

It was never implied, anywhere in this thread, that stay at home mom's work don't work as hard as mothers with "careers". In fact, to even insinuate that makes you sound like a pure knucklehead.

Do the trust issues with daycare not also apply to school? I guess everyone should stay home. Skip, I don't trust you.....

I'm just a little confused why you older individuals find it hard to believe that people use daycare. It's a necessity, not a luxury. We are a duel income household where we need both to maintain what we have and we do not live beyond our means.

Awful lot of judgement on 0 basis...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joey_V
    Options

Goodness, $110/hr? That's way high. And don't get me wrong, I am spending $30k this year alone for my kids care so I have a realistic reference point.

30K/yr... dang man. That's a whole lot of post tax dough. Do you qualify for some tax write offs? Do you use FSA?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @mrbiron certain things are age dependant (appropriate) don't ya think?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    A better question - is preschool something that was just developed in recent history and became popular or has it been around forever? Any of you guys went to preschool?

I remember I went to kindergarten prior to 1st grade and that was it.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options

30K/yr... dang man. That's a whole lot of post tax dough. Do you qualify for some tax write offs? Do you use FSA?

Yes we do FSA. It helps a little bit.

Thankfully we are only spending that much this year. My oldest starts kindergarten this fall. Our school district charges a small fee for full day kindergarten but it is much less than the early childhood center program that he is in now. So our costs will go down each year until our youngest gets to 1st grade and then it will be $0.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    A better question - is preschool something that was just developed in recent history and became popular or has it been around forever? Any of you guys went to preschool?

It certainly was not common when I was a kid in the stone age.
  • Joey_V
    Options

Yes we do FSA. It helps a little bit.

Thankfully we are only spending that much this year. My oldest starts kindergarten this fall. Our school district charges a small fee for full day kindergarten but it is much less than the early childhood center program that he is in now. So our costs will go down each year until our youngest gets to 1st grade and then it will be $0.

Nice man.. i'm sure you're looking forward to when it goes down to $0.

It's a little frustrating on my part (and I'm sure yours), you do so much to pay down student loans to relieve yourself of monthly payments.... only to build up monthly payments yet again.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »

It certainly was not common when I was a kid in the stone age.

See that's the thing, I don't think it was. Then now it has become common and it appears to be faux pas if you don't send your kid to one. Some friends of mine make it a point to send to these super preschool places that cost an arm and a leg... and I'm thinking - does it really matter?

Then again, they do say brains are most compliant during the first 3 years so perhaps there is some benefit to such a preschool.

Again, it's hard to say unless you have twins and one goes and one doesnt go and then you compare later on and see what's what.

Best thing to do is to expose early on and hope for the best.
  • tonyb
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

It was never implied, anywhere in this thread, that stay at home mom's work don't work as hard as mothers with "careers". In fact, to even insinuate that makes you sound like a pure knucklehead.

Do the trust issues with daycare not also apply to school? I guess everyone should stay home. Skip, I don't trust you.....

I'm just a little confused why you older individuals find it hard to believe that people use daycare. It's a necessity, not a luxury. We are a duel income household where we need both to maintain what we have and we do not live beyond our means.

Awful lot of judgement on 0 basis...

I don't think anyone is judging, just curious. You know what they say about walking a mile in another man's shoes.

Trust issues do follow through every level of schooling, or whenever your most precious possession is in the hands of complete strangers.

We "older individuals" have nothing against a good daycare or it's worth, just the cost in relation to income. Obviously Joey is a doctor and makes a good buck, 30k a year to him is peanuts. 30k after tax dollars to someone who makes 50k gross dollars is why we scratch our heads. Everyone's situation is different, lots of gray areas, we are not attempting to make it a black and white issue.

From where I sit in the cheap seats, for decades women have been told being a stay at home mom is somehow undesirable. That they need to be their own person and compete with men on every level. That they are better off leaving the raising and education of their kids to the "professionals" because they are too ill equipped to do so. Being a stay at home mom is somehow inferior to the career woman portrayed in many magazines and social media, a lower life form to be looked down on.

Then you have the Neanderthals who just think women belong in the kitchen, raising kids, uneducated. Two extremes obviously. Women can make up their own minds about their own paths in life, just like men do, that's called freedom. They can be a stay at home mom their whole life, or a career woman, or a little of both. We should be thankful we have the opportunity to cater to any of those desires and nothing is forced on you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options

It's a little frustrating on my part (and I'm sure yours), you do so much to pay down student loans to relieve yourself of monthly payments.... only to build up monthly payments yet again.

That's called life Joey, get used to it. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options

That's called life Joey, get used to it. ;)

Yeah... i know. ;)
  • tonyb
    Options
    We old folks growing up never had day care, and if we did it was a relative. 2 reasons mainly, moms were more the stay at home type and nobody could really afford it. Most everyone I knew were at home up to kindergarten. We were not somehow insufficient in our learning or social abilities because of it either.

That was the norm, what was expected when you made that decision to start a family. That was then, this is now. Our parents made that sacrifice, hardly ever taking vacations, being frugal, moms sewed, cooked, gardened, cleaned, laundry, shopped, taught the youngsters and gave them a start on moral behavior.....right and wrong. Most were church goers too.

Starting a family of my own, I knew we couldn't financially make it as a home owner and kids in daycare but we never wanted them in daycare anyway. I worked days, the wife worked nights so one of us could be with the kids at all times. We injected them into pre-school one year prior to kindergarten to prep them so it wouldn't be a shock to their way of life.

Point is, you do what you have to and still satisfy your own morals and notions of how you want your children raised. There is no right or wrong way. Second point, is to not let others dictate the first point. You do what your conscience tells you is right, not what peer pressure wants or society says is the norm.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    well said tony
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Both my children (now grown) went to preschool. Both are responsible, successful, well rounded individuals. Preschool or not, it all comes down to good parenting in the end. Yes there will be behavioral issues that they pick up in preschool. This is where the parent comes in, and fixes them. All in all there are many more pros than cons to preschool.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Man we have it much better up here than you guys. Not as good as some Europeans .... we get one year off when they are born. To be used or split how we want. My wife took the full year off. I took parental leave at 96% of my salary . I took two months with both kids. We felt it was very important that we spend as much time with them as possible. Then for each we slowly transitioned them to daycare. Every Friday they were with my dad and step mom. Something my parents really wanted. Now as mentioned they are in full time daycare and my son in school.
    We have very articulate bright caring kids. Just the way we chose.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Man we have it much better up here than you guys. Not as good as some Europeans .... we get one year off when they are born. To be used or split how we want. My wife took the full year off. I took parental leave at 96% of my salary . I took two months with both kids. We felt it was very important that we spend as much time with them as possible. Then for each we slowly transitioned them to daycare. Every Friday they were with my dad and step mom. Something my parents really wanted. Now as mentioned they are in full time daycare and my son in school.

Well that's all fine and dandy...but they're still Canadian.

;)
    I took about six months off each when my sons were born. A bit of a financial struggle, but the personal dividends of being with them and Mom was worth it.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

Well that's all fine and dandy...but they're still Canadian.

;)
    I took about six months off each when my sons were born. A bit of a financial struggle, but the personal dividends of being with them and Mom was worth it.

No amount of money can make up or replace that time. Some of the best moments of my life.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • tonyb
    Options

Did the kids feel the same way....I mean after they got out of therapy ? :D:p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options

Did the kids feel the same way....I mean after they got out of therapy ? :D:p

They're still a little squirrely. But overall, they turned out to be good kids.
    They both went to "Moms morning out" at the church preschool two days a week and then when Mom went back to work as a teacher, it was like having on-site daycare. Double bonus!
    I am a proponent of socializing children at a young age. It helps them open up to the fact that there are various kinds of people in the world and, I believe, become accepting of them as the same but different from themselves.
    Cultural diversity type thing.
    I'm proud of them... <3