PSW10 Modification

skrol
skrol Posts: 3,330
I just picked up a mix and match sub (PSW10) and surrounds (4x RM7s and RM7 center) at CC that I though would be fun to start an entry level HT system with. I figured I couldn't go wrong at $97 for the package. I have read good things about the PSW10 with the only real complaint being some port noise at high volume.

I was wondering if anyone has tweaked theirs up any? The PSW10 looks to have good potential but I have noticed some possible areas for improvement.

First is the lack of flaring on the inside end of the tuned port. I'll likely add a flare.

Also, inside the box there is a board (support) between the driver chamber and the amplifier that has sharp corner edges. I plan to round over the corners to reduce turbulence.

There is also little cabinet damping material. What is there is glued down but not placed directly behind the driver. I plan to line the walls with material and specifically behind the driver.

Lastly, I may replace the feet with spikes to improve stability.

Any other suggestions?

All these mods should be fairly inexpensive and will hopefully result in a killer little sub.

FYI. The driver is a RD1018 and appears to be very similar to the Polk car sub DB1040.

Stan
Stan

Main 2ch:
Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
Post edited by skrol on

Comments

• skrol
    edited February 2009
    Oops. The driver model number is actually RD1012.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • javygonx
    javygonx Posts: 70
    edited February 2009
    Youre luckly!.. I bought the same sub in CC for $109 alone on the clearance sale for my bedroom. I have AccoustiMass Bose System at room, but that Sub Bose its not enough, so I add this little baby. Sounds pretty good, and helps the bass sounds on movies and music for my bedroom.

But I think its not set as I like. The manual says to connect to the Left or Right RCA, or use a "Y Adapter", and move something counterclock full, Its that moving the crossover to 250?, or to 80? to get the LFE Effect as manual said? Please help. Also if you found anything to improve the sub, let me know. Thanks
    Panasonic 65" Plasma
    Pioneer SC81
    PS4 BluRay / Memorex BD-Player
    Polk RTiA7 Fronts
    Polk CS2 Center
    Polk RTi4 Surrounds
    Eomtiva XRef12
    Monster Power HtS 1600 Power Line Filter/Conditioner
  • gsquared
    gsquared Posts: 11
    edited March 2009
    I would strongly recommend the y-adapter idea mentioned by the previous poster- worked wonders for me
  • 5seconds
    5seconds Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I have been experiencing quite a bit of port noise on my new PSW10, and I wanted to see if there was a result from skrol's modifications.

I have added some polyfill, and without testing too much it seems to have made a slight difference (but I'm nopt sure how much to use on this sub, there seems to be conflicting advice on Polyfill in a ported enclosure) but I wanted to know if there is more I can be doing to reduce this port noise.

Thanks very much!
  • skrol
    edited January 2010
    I really have not gotten around to playing with the PSW10 yet. I agree that there is port noise at higher volumes.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff:
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    Put a sock in it. No I'm not kidding...though it will reduce the lowest bass you can get from this sub...just block its port with something and see if that gives you a bit more control over the sound it puts out! Not recommended if you have a big room?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • 5seconds
    5seconds Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to keep playing with the polyfill, including in the port (can't hurt to try) and then try plugging the port to see what it will do.

I noticed while testing the sub that my seating position makes the bass produced from the sub sound/feel very weak. Walking around the room gave me a stronger sense of the bass, so I think that if I can get a more optimal position of the sub, I can turn it down a little, and the port noise will reduce as well. We'll see!

Thanks!
  • rpetersen
    rpetersen Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Somebody knows the TS parameters of the RD1012 driver?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2010
    Gents, everything has a purpose. The psw 10 sub was meant for small speakers, in a small room. Trying to get the volume out of it that you may want is beyond it's capabilities. While there are tricks and tips for better performance, the sub is limited at what it can do.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • INOV8TN
    INOV8TN Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    Try putting the working sub in your primary listening position. Then walk around the room until you find where it sounds the best. Switch places with your sub and you should be getting the best the sub can deliver in that room.
  • DozerCSX
    DozerCSX Posts: 22
    As per another forum thread, I would like to direct PSW10 owners to the following video, which shows how to remove the internal "rat guard" from obstructing the port opening, thus almost completely eliminating the famous "chuff" which has ruined the reputation of this subwoofer - with this simple 10 minute mod, the personality of the PSW10 changes dramatically, for the better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKsMdcjh8KM
    HT1: Polk Monitor 7C's L/R, Polk CS400i center (bi-wire)
    Sides: Polk RT10+, modified with Vifa 1" polymer dome tweeters
    Rears: Polk VX300i surround speakers
    Subwoofer: Pioneer PSW-8mk2
    Receiver: Denon HD-750H 7.1

HT2: Polk CS175i+ L/Rs with Vifa 1" polymer dome tweeter
    Center: Polk CS300
    Sub: modified Polk PSW10 (ratcage fix)
    Surrounds: CSW cubes sides, rears
    Panasonic SA-XR57
  • Will this mod damage the sub at all? Just wondering.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Will this mod damage the sub at all? Just wondering.

Maybe just a smidgen where they screwed and glued the rat guard. Some report that the glued pulled a little MDF off but other than that no damage .....well that unless you have a rat problem
  • As a followup to this. I purchased a PSW10 to go with my Vanatoo T0's per their recommendation. Initially I was pretty unsure about the sound. After about 15 hours of break in and removing the rat guard I am quite pleased at the value. Note the rat guard is no longer glued. And there appears to be more fill and and wrapping of the cables internally then some of the earlier images I have seen. Great deal.
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    +1 on that xophere. Welcome to the forum :smile: . I saw the video as well and removed the "rat guard" from my 108...great results :smile:
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• I recently decided to build a Surround Sound set up and focused on POLK speakers since I came across some great deals on Polk equipment, including two PSW10 subs. I am quite happy with them so far since I get plenty of bass out of them with the little I have been able to figure out so far and I don't have any port noise from them. The only negative I have with the PSW10 is that they aren't matching with one being black and the other being cherry finish but that is no big deal. I have purchased a used PSW505, which I am yet to physically get, thinking I would need it due to reading so much negative feedback in the internet with many stating that one 12" sub is better than two 10" subs. I obviously have to keep an open mind and wait until I install the PSW505, but so far I'm thinking I might have jumped the gun and was premature in buying the PSW505. I might still use some combination of the three with this set up plus I am still looking to put a Surround Sound set up in my bedroom so I am sure I will want to use a PSW10 there. Any input on one 12" vs. two 10" vs a combination of three.
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Hello ultrasound first and foremost welcome to the forum :smile: . When it comes to your sub setup it depends on what you're looking for. the one 12" will dig deeper in the bass than the 10", but if you want a more even response in your room the use of two or more subs is best.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• Thanks for the video on removing the rat guard. Am going to try that now. I just found a PSW 10 for $30 on craigslist. Great deal so far!
  • bigdogk5
    bigdogk5 Posts: 1
    edited February 2019
    I know this thread is old... but I opened up a PSW 10 that I got for free and removed the rat guard to get rid of the chuffing issue... and then I stuffed the enclosure with polyfill.

It already sounded better ..but I decided to throw in an Alpine E10 subwoofer that I had laying around ..and oh my God this thing is thunderous now ,even with the 50 Watt polk amp. I am thinking since everything was free on this ,I will shell out a couple bucks for a Dayton audio subwoofer amp down the line... I know everyone says just get a better sub ,but you can't beat free and I am already impressed with the improvements . Plus I just enjoy tinkering.. I don't use the subwoofer for music because my Mains have 8 inch woofers and I am pleased with their bass output .the sub is strictly for movies and I am overly impressed with this upgrade... this is copy and paste from another place so if you are getting Deja Vu reading at that is probably why LOL