IPads

Options
I've been researching some IPads and could use some advice on them. I'm looking at the Mini 4 and Mini 2. My wife is thinking of getting one for the obvious reasons of having something smaller around rather than using the desktop for everything. My youngest son, a Marine, has an IPhone and we could face time with him, which, of course peaks both our interests. I thought about Skype but have read that most don't really like it. Seems to me it would so much easier to do this face time thing than Skype.

So..., what would be recommendations between the two? It would mainly be used for "old people" using. Mail, surfing, face timing, stuff like that. No gaming or "young people" things, he he. Any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated!
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,995
    Options
    I don't really see any reason to get a 4. I think a 2 will do everything you need quite well. Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Skype works fine for audio calls, I use it all the time, but it's poor for video conferencing so just depends on what you need. Between those two I'd go for the older gen mini 2, but as a desktop replacement I'd seriously consider going with the full 9.7" model, again depends on what you need

And no I'm not just saying that because I happen to have an iPad Air 2 for sale :smile:
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    I'd recommend going to a store to check them out in person with your wife as there is more to it than just screen size. Other choices are whether to get a WiFi only version or to get a cellular model with a data plan. Another choice is what amount of memory to get in it. For my purposes 16GB works alright, but is not optimal. 32GB is about right for me.

I use an older iPad mini with a data plan for work purposes, but also have a WiFi only iPad Air for use around the house. The mini is perfect for me when away from home and the office, but a bit too small for use at home. I always use an Otterbox case for protecting the iPad when out, but remove the clear plastic screen from them. The iPad Air is the perfect size for what I use it for at home. A store can give you good advice to best meet all of your needs.

It could be that the Mini 2 meets all of your needs, and the price is decent on those, but I think it's worth checking out the other options too.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    On the used market the Ipad Air 1's run for about $300 +/- a few $, and have the retina display and the faster processor than the Gen 1-3 versions. I second the above idea that you visit a store, BB has them, and see what you think will meet your needs better. Personally I would not get a mini as I already have an iphone. The full size is much more useful to me. I've bought plenty of them used of CL and never had a problem. But with all CL items, you must be careful and prudent. If it sounds too good to be true, it most assuredly is.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Options
    I have used a few iPads. For portability, any of them will do. All of the iPads are much lighter than any laptop. I personally use FaceTime a lot with family all over US and the World. I have not had any real issues. If Internet is slow, it affects anything that you are using, I don't care if it is Viber, Skype, Sococo, FaceTime, etc.

I would go with a bigger screen in your case.

For my personal use, I have sold all my previous iPads and currently have the Pro. My eyes aren't as sharp and I could use all the screen I could get. And it's ultra thin and light.

halen
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    I can 99.999% guarantee that when you get one of these devices in hand and start playing with it, the list of "things i'll do with it" will keep growing. Right now you say you'll do mail, surfing, FaceTime and things like that, but you'll keep discovering more and more as you load apps.

Do yourself a favor, if you can swing the cost, get the 9.7" iPad Pro. I've had the iPad 2 and iPad Air and just setup my new iPad Pro 9.7".

Get it! It's gorgeous! Your eyes will thank you.
    No excuses!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    I have used a few iPads. For portability, any of them will do. All of the iPads are much lighter than any laptop. I personally use FaceTime a lot with family all over US and the World. I have not had any real issues. If Internet is slow, it affects anything that you are using, I don't care if it is Viber, Skype, Sococo, FaceTime, etc.

I would go with a bigger screen in your case.

For my personal use, I have sold all my previous iPads and currently have the Pro. My eyes aren't as sharp and I could use all the screen I could get. And it's ultra thin and light.

halen

Halen sold his air a few months ago
    Now he's addicted to the size of the pro.

We set up a new air today to use at LSAF, he thought it was a mini

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,463
    Options
    Thanks for all the insights on the models. We visited BB the other day to check them out. They didn't have all the models but most. I agree that the 9.7" would be great but would like to stay in around the $3-400 range. I could not believe how light they were. My daughter has an IPod which we "face timed" with the past weekend and my wife kind of fell in love with the thing, seeing as we could see/talk with my son in Commifornia at the base.

Thanks again for the recommendations, I need to talk with the wife a little more!
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    Options
    You could get a brand new iPod touch 6th gen ( w/ name engraved for free, in your color of choice) for the cost of a referb one, I've done it twice.
    I was looking for one for my daughter, called them & asked about their refurb program & was told that they don't do refurbs anymore but I could buy a new iPod at a refurb price. I of course said yes, & it was at my door in no time ( you have to be there to sign for it btw)
    My daughter uses it to FaceTime her friends & family besides using it for a ton of other stuff.
    The second time I called them, the person didn't know about this & thought I was crazy telling me "sir, I can't give you a brand new iPod at a refurbished price" I told her to check with her supervisor & soon the other one was at my door, with her name engraved on it.
    Ended up paying a little north of $200 each for 2 new iPod touches 32gig.

- SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, BH5, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555 Amp
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s) {Storage}
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - RT25i (Cherry) {Storage}
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds) {Storage}
    - Audioquest Interconnects
    - Blu-Jean Speaker Cables & Interconnects

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Thanks for all the insights on the models. We visited BB the other day to check them out. They didn't have all the models but most. I agree that the 9.7" would be great but would like to stay in around the $3-400 range. I could not believe how light they were. My daughter has an IPod which we "face timed" with the past weekend and my wife kind of fell in love with the thing, seeing as we could see/talk with my son in Commifornia at the base.

Thanks again for the recommendations, I need to talk with the wife a little more!

With your budget in mind, i'd go with the 16gb iPad Air 2 at $399. You're gonna want that 9.7" screen. When i'm at home and vacationing, my iPhone sits most of the time in favor of that much larger screen. Trying to sit and read news articles, emails, websites and do everything else...is far and away better on a larger screen. My 48 yo eyes are not what they used to be for up close reading!

No excuses!
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    I agree with getting the larger screen..
    I have an iPhone 5s and never use it for anything other than a phone call, or text.
    As soon as I get home the phone goes away, and my iPad Air 2 comes to life, much bigger screen, easier to read, even though I still need glasses now..
    My next iPhone will be a bigger screen as well..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,463
    Options
    Well, she surprised me this afternoon and bought an iPad Air 2, in gold (go figure). This was after we talked about the screen being bigger on them and I told her that after reading that smaller screen for a while it would probably strain her eyes. So..., now I know she just bought one. She never usually buys anything so what the heck.

What do you think about protective cases? She is looking at the Otterbox Defender series, in Pink, I think. Remember, she will put it in her purse, car, whatever, and it probably will get some, or alot of, abuse along the way, not to mention dropped probably...
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Great buy, that's the model I'm currently using great choice..

Enjoy
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I just bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Generation-Full-body-Protective-Protector/dp/B00O8RCKAY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Just as good as an otter box, a lot cheaper. They also come in pink
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    By all means, get a protective case for it, It's just good sense to protect it especially if she is going to be carrying it around with her.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    What do you think about protective cases? She is looking at the Otterbox Defender series, in Pink, I think. Remember, she will put it in her purse, car, whatever, and it probably will get some, or alot of, abuse along the way, not to mention dropped probably...

I wouldn't be without one. They are trade offs though. The Otterbox defender series about doubles the weight and triples the bulk of an iPad. The iPad is much more secure feeling in the hand though and easier to hold onto for me. I like to feel some weight to the thing. The Otterbox includes a built in stand, which some competirs don't include. I always remove the clear plastic screen because I found fingerprints on it had a rainbow effec, and anyway the case has two parts that completely protect the screen when it's not in use.

You should look for cases that are designed for the Air 2. The Air 2 is a bit different design layout from earlier iPads and the cases from the earlier models are not designed for the Air 2's different layout.

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    https://www.amazon.ca/Belkin-Ultimate-Wireless-Keyboard-Display/dp/B00BWHILCY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459640561&sr=1-2&keywords=belkin+ultimate+keyboard

This is the best case / keyboard u can get IMHO and I've owned over 20 cases. The case can separate from the keyboard with ease as it attached with magnets, it fits well and is very slim. The keyboard is back lit and holds a charge for 3 months.

Cheers
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    If you decide you want the Air 2 shoot me an IM
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,966
    Options
    fwiw.....I have an ipad mini2 w 16gb. I wish I would have bought a regular ipad with 128gb.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am on my second iPad The 3rd edition. Always in an otter box. Great photos. I am really close to pulling the trigger on the 13" pro. Saw them on sale for $ 749.99 128 GB model on eBay. Repedable Ebay store. Thing I like best about my iPad and iPhone. Always work and when something has gone wrong. Apple replaces it for free. Nuff said. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I've been testing both Pro models the past week. As much as I really WANT to like the larger 12.9 inch model better because the larger screen is so nice, I just can't do it. I use mine for probably 75% content consumption and 25% content creation and for that mix the smaller screen just works better for me.

If I were doing lots of video editing (these things are fast enough to edit 4K videos easily) that may sway me over to the larger screen, but I don't do that much on the iPad. For drawing I thought I would like the bigger screen better but the smaller model being more workable and easier to spin around actually makes drawing for me easier, a real artist would probably enjoy the larger space though.

Also, if you're using as a full laptop replacement with the keyboard the larger size is definitely the way to go as I don't think the 9.7" screen is big enough to replace a laptop. Although I do much of my computer related things like reading, forums and emails on the tablet the iPad is NOT a replacement for a computer for power users, but for alot of people it'll work just fine and the larger screen is nice in that scenario.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Hey Danny can u have the Pro set up for dual screens? As in the ipad as screen on and an external monitor as the second? That's how I use my Macbook Air, and if the pro can do that it might just work for me as a computer replacement.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Options
    That's actually not what I was asking, but a quick Google search turned up that feature and I bought the app for 10$ and used it all afternoon. Duet is pretty frickin cool! I will be using it a lot I think...

What I was asking was could an iPad Pro completely replace my laptop by using the pro as the main screen and having an external monitor as a second screen, just like I do with my MacBook. Looks like it can't do that yet, so I will be sticking with my MacBook Air. Duet actually makes me less inclined to use a tablet as my main work machine...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Correct, you could get the iPad screen on a bigger screen obviously, but not have a desktop extended to a second monitor. As I said the iPad Pro only works as a computer replacement for those who have minimal needs like general internet, email and some light productivity work. If you need things like dual monitors of professional media tools like full Photoshop or Premiere or even want to do something like rip a CD it won't work.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Thanks Danny, that's what I needed to know. My macbook air is so thin and light is really hardly worth it anyway. Plus I really do like using the ipad as a second screen. My office has cream walls, flourescent lights, no windows, and smells like a** half the year, but I stay in in more often than not because I need dual monitors. Looks like I'll be working at the library, coffee shop or bar a lot more often. The app only cost 10 bucks, but I gonna lose money on this deal!!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Yea, sorry, won't be selling it for two reasons. One I really like it with Duet and my ipad, and two, its a work machine. I get a new one every three years, but no selling aloud. Communists!!!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1