Lets Build A Plex Server......That Does Offer Stuff As Well

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    ^Lets just say, Ryans is bigger than mine......

genetics...
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711

genetics...

It just means that said person yanks harder.....That's how length is achieved. Genetics Shmo-shmetics

I started to assemble last night, against my better judgement (2.5yo daughter still awake and pregnant wife cooking dinner) which was short lived. Tonight is a no go after testing the waters last night which means that, like my original plan, it looks like a friday night/saturday build. Booo!

To further this discussion, these M.2 drives from Samsung are getting rave reviews. Some say that going from SSD to M.2 isn't much of a noticeable increase at all but those going from a Platter to M.2 is earth shattering. Is it worth the premium since i already have an SSD ready to go?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    mrbiron wrote: »

genetics...

It just means that said person yanks harder.....That's how length is achieved. Genetics Shmo-shmetics

I started to assemble last night, against my better judgement (2.5yo daughter still awake and pregnant wife cooking dinner) which was short lived. Tonight is a no go after testing the waters last night which means that, like my original plan, it looks like a friday night/saturday build. Booo!

To further this discussion, these M.2 drives from Samsung are getting rave reviews. Some say that going from SSD to M.2 isn't much of a noticeable increase at all but those going from a Platter to M.2 is earth shattering. Is it worth the premium since i already have an SSD ready to go?

Not for your purposes. SSD is more than fast enough.

BTW, I just wante to be sure you understand you don't have to go from Win 8 to Win 10 with that product key I gave you. You can just create a Win 10 x64 install media (on your USB Stick), boot from it and enter the key I gave you. It will authorize with Win 10 Pro. I did it myself last week with my new X99 build.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mrbiron
    SHWEET!

Actually, i just talked to the IT kid in our office about an hour ago on this very subject. He told me he'd take care of me by making a boot thumb drive.

I love go-getters!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    SHWEET!

Actually, i just talked to the IT kid in our office about an hour ago on this very subject. He told me he'd take care of me by making a boot thumb drive.

I love go-getters!

Yup.

So there is a chance I have some time for Halo on Saturday.... you gonna do that or build this stupid computer :smile:

PS your gonna love Plex... and I can explain why later
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrbiron
    Hmm.....well, my wife will be going out to get her hair did, nails did, and someone is going to rub her down. That means that Daddy has to watch the little one. But, little one takes nap from 12:30-3. I'll be building it as soon as mommy walks out the door around 9am EST so i think we're golden!

IT kid just sent me an email that he doesnt have time. Guess i'm on my own... :(

I have a proposition PM coming your way...
  • billbillw
    edited March 2016
    Its really not difficult to make the USB install media. Just need a decent internet connection. Sometimes you have to turn off firewall/virus to get it to go. Its all done by the little Microsoft Media Creation Tool, download here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

For instructions, click on where it says "Using the media creation tool", then click "Perform clean installation using a USB or DVD"
  • mrbiron
    I'll most likely do it at work tomorrow morning as my home laptop sucks. I have a new 16GB thumb drive arriving this afternoon which was a whopping $6. With nobody on the work network at the time i arrive 6:45-7am, i should get the full bandwidth making the download pretty fast.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Yeah the USB route is the easiest and doesn't waste a sata port. They even recommend it typically with FREENAS.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • billbillw
    Yep, I'm totally done with installing on a DVD if I can help it. USB installs are so much faster (and quieter). You'll be amazed to see Win10 install done in something like 15 minutes.
  • EndersShadow
    billbillw wrote: »
    Yep, I'm totally done with installing on a DVD if I can help it. USB installs are so much faster (and quieter). You'll be amazed to see Win10 install done in something like 15 minutes.

Yup, and they are easier to store too lol... I cant tell you the number of times I've had to use it to fix a corrupt OS file. The Windows Repair aspect of it is quite cool...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrbiron
    Its really not difficult to make the USB install media. Just need a decent internet connection. Sometimes you have to turn off firewall/virus to get it to go. Its all done by the little Microsoft Media Creation Tool, download here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

For instructions, click on where it says "Using the media creation tool", then click "Perform clean installation using a USB or DVD"

So I decided to do this when I got home. I only had the options for Windows 10, Windows Home Single, and Windows N. I went with just "Windows 10". Was that correct?
    60% left to go.
  • billbillw

So I decided to do this when I got home. I only had the options for Windows 10, Windows Home Single, and Windows N. I went with just "Windows 10". Was that correct?
    60% left to go.

Yes, Windows 10 was the correct choice. Hopefully done now and installing OS?
  • mrbiron
    It's on the USB drive now. I haven't put the computer together yet. That is this weekend's task. I SHOULD be able to do it an a couple hours tonight barring the friday night beers don't slow me down.
  • billbillw
    If you haven't built an Intel LGA system yet, be VERY careful with the CPU socket. You bend those pins, you're screwed. Steady hand, no beers, leave the plastic cover on, open up, set down with care that it touches down flat (don't lead with one edge in first). Double check it is all aligned, then close the holder.

I attached a good guide from Asus (it says 1150, but 1151 technique will be the same)
  • mrbiron
    Thanks Bill!
    I've actually watched a couple of videos on recent builds just for that exact reason. Just wanted to freshen up and see if there were any new procedures that i didn't know about such as, the new temp dust cap that pops off once you've seated the cpu and lowered the clamp. (which is illustrated in your guide) Also noted that the CPU's are much more fragile this time around. As long as the arrow is still located in the bottom left, i feel comfortable with that.

I forgot to ask. SSD formatting. NTFS? Does Windows 10 decide this on it's own?
  • billbillw
    Windows install takes care of formatting. Nothing to worry there.
  • mrbiron
    And here we go!
    io5kk55elpmd.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    And here we go!
    io5kk55elpmd.jpg

735f6440bbc7e9a4b597cf75ad451c54fc42939b9ad065d68de7679993e95f6c.jpg

• mrbiron
    Over site #36. Anyone know of an adapter that goes in a drive bay that'll accept an SSD so it's not flowing?

pjz8tn2esa3n.jpg
  • mrbiron
    By drive, I mean optical, not HDD.
  • billbillw
    edited April 2016
    I'm confused. Are you asking about mounting an optical drive or the SSD? There are adapters at newegg for $10 or less that will hold a 2.5" disc and give mounting for a 3.5" disc. Not sure if they have one for 5.25" disk (optical size). This is where a newer case will be great. They usually have 2.5" mounts aplenty or ssd specific mounts (on the backside of MB or elsewhere. I don't worry too much about the SSD being mounted securely. If you can get one or two screws in, that's usually fine. Some people use velcro tape or zip ties. You can get creative. SSDs don't care if they are horizontal/vertical and you don't have to worry about airflow with them (they don't get hot).
  • mrbiron
    Yeah, to clarify, I WAS looking for a 2.5 to 5.25 adapter. Ordered a $6 jobber an hour ago.

Been running stable for an hour but I really haven't done anything yet. Only hiccup I had on first power up was the case power cables were accidentally installed in the PWR LED slot instead of just PWR. Took a quick minute to troubleshoot.

8r5flrd8iws9.jpg
  • mrbiron
    Update!
    I finally got around to ripping my first movie. Toy Story 1 as I want my daughter to see it. I started Makemkv and guessed my way through a trial run. 22minutes later, I have a full size DVD rip. Open the file and I have a bunch of trailers and junk. Easily deleted. Anyone want to make a quick tutorial?

I just receive the Force Awakened on blu/DVD/Digital. I got confused with this. There are 3 titles with the same file size. Which one to choose? Also, it appears my Makemkv expires in 6 days. Wth?!

8185ftps032y.jpg

• EndersShadow
    Update!
    I finally got around to ripping my first movie. Toy Story 1 as I want my daughter to see it. I started Makemkv and guessed my way through a trial run. 22minutes later, I have a full size DVD rip. Open the file and I have a bunch of trailers and junk. Easily deleted. Anyone want to make a quick tutorial?

I just receive the Force Awakened on blu/DVD/Digital. I got confused with this. There are 3 titles with the same file size. Which one to choose? Also, it appears my Makemkv expires in 6 days. Wth?!

8185ftps032y.jpg

Just grad the one with the biggest file size, and th format you want.

Same with force awakens. If all same size pick one lol...

Make MKV does that, just google the new code, it's in perpetual beta meaning you have to enter a new code every couple months... No biggie

• mrbiron
    Alright, so if there are multiple files that are the same, only grab 1....got it.
    When you selected the audio track, i only have a 5.1 with no intentions of going 7.1 but also want to have the stereo track for just casually watching a movie on a TV or a tablet. Do i selected both the stereo AND dts file or does that not work?

I haven't tried Handbrake yet which will be next. Just toying around right now.

I did notice that when i tried to sample The Force Awakens, it did stutter a bit when skipping around. I'm assuming it has something to do with the file size? I was in a hurry so maybe i was clicking too much....i'll revisit that later.

I'm waiting for the last possible minute to start ordering HDD's as i don't need it at this very second, and the longer i wait, the better the price. Haven't decided on which one to buy. WD Red or Black, Hitachi, Seagate? I've been a devout WD fan since i started tinkering and have never strayed from the brand. I have 9 WD drives in the house but if financially, it makes sense to buy something else, i will. I still have a Raptor running in an external that i purchased 11 years ago. Not to shabby...

I'd ask for a preference but i know it's like beer, everyone has their flavor. The reviews for HDD's are to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't review a product unless it is less than perfect and it's the same for HDD's. Everyone wants to write a review when they have a bad experience.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Actually, Disney is notorious for this.

The 3 files are English (00800.mpls), Spanish (00801.mpls) and French (00802.mpls).

Typically, they go in order so just pick the first one.

Some retail discs use "Cinavia" protection where you will see a few hundred titles all of the same size. What they do is randomly scramble the chapters with only one of the titles being correct (a lot of rental discs do this too).

99 times out of 100, you will simply google the movie title and makemkv and the MakeMKV forums will have already found and posted the correct title or MPLS for the movie.

Occasionally you may run into a SCSI error when you either try to read or rip the disc. If you do, try cleaning the disc with distilled water and a microfiber cloth. Most of the time this works but some discs just have bad manufacturing (Master & Commander comes to mind as I have tried 7 different discs with the same error).
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrbiron
    Thanks for the input Z!
    I just selected them all and let it go. Took an hour for the 3 files but once i realized they were all the same, a quick delete resolved that error.

Thanks for the heads up on the MakeMKV forum. I'll check it out later today.

Now for movies that come with the DVD/Blu/Digital, is there any difference between the Blu and Digital? Or, just stick with ripping the Blu?
  • EndersShadow
    Thanks for the input Z!
    I just selected them all and let it go. Took an hour for the 3 files but once i realized they were all the same, a quick delete resolved that error.

Thanks for the heads up on the MakeMKV forum. I'll check it out later today.

Now for movies that come with the DVD/Blu/Digital, is there any difference between the Blu and Digital? Or, just stick with ripping the Blu?

Sometimes the digital requires you to use a special software both to download and access the rip, rending it useless in Plex...

I basically dont use any of the digital downloads... but I'm not the expert so if I'm off someone PLEASE correct me.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I use the digital codes as gifts more than anything. The digital files are usually compressed files and lose video and audio quality.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip