Ahhhh cr@p man, I just woke up on the floor ontop of my headphones and snapped em!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    Options
    Do what I do with broken headphones.
    Take them apart, remove the speaker elements and hot glue them into a motorcycle helmet's ear cups.
    I have an old pair of Seinheiser phones that I built into my WWII style helmet (with foam earpads).
    I just took a stereo 1/8" cord, snaked the wires under the shell and soldered them to the speakers.
    My helmet has a cloth strap that snaps on the rear and I clip one of those iPod nano shuffles back there.
    All I have to do is to reach back and hit the play button when I want music.
    263 of my favorite oldie moldies are in there.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Polka can you imagine me getting a motorbike?
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For some reason I am not allowed to say po..lk.a? Thats just crazy?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

let me know if you do....I'm going to take out a huge insurance policy on you :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    Do what I do with broken headphones.
    Take them apart, remove the speaker elements and hot glue them into a motorcycle helmet's ear cups.
    wow, that's a great idea for repurposing. Do you wear earplugs when you ride?
    Polka can you imagine me getting a motorbike
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    let me know if you do....I'm going to take out a huge insurance policy on you :)
    lol

I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Eff insurance. I'll be calling Vegas bookies...
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    ouch.
    this is one thing that really annoys me about modern merchandise - so much stuff with a cost point that simply doesn't match its quality. I'm starting to feel like an old man as I think to myself more and more often, they just don't make things like they used to...

yeah, I'd be trying to repair that, though given the tension, not sure how successful you might expect that to be.

I tried to fix a broken pair of "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" R/S headphones for my son, years and years ago now, and ran into the same problem (i.e., stress and molded plastic are pretty uncooperative).

voltz wrote: »
    Don't give him super glue :( he will glue them to his face or head by mistake.

I once read an interview with the phenomenal Canadian songwriter/singer/guitarist Bruce Cockburn, in which he mentioned that, as a guitarist, he would often repair and reinforce his fingernails with superglue... but he wryly admonished that doing so after drinking was a recipe for disaster :-P

EDIT: FWIW , from "The Cockburn Project"

http://cockburnproject.net/
    Bruce never uses a plectrum or fingerpicks and plays very hard so he treats his fingernails regularly with Crazy Glue the application of which he warns with a voice of experience should "not be done when you're drunk."
    --from an Interview by James Jensen at Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, circa Spring 1993.
    2 November 1981 -

Some odd & ends - comments that defy classification

Q: A real practical question: playing fingerstyle, slamming the guitar, how do you keep your nails? The Pete Townsend school of manicure...

BC: Well put... I coat them with Crazy Glue. You have to be very careful... you've got to make sure you don't get it anywhere but where you want to put it... when I first started doing it, I glued my fingers together...

Q: It doesn't have any bad effects or anything?

BC: It appears not to... I'm a little hesitant to recommend it to people...It does work, it makes them really strong. You can see this crusty little layer on here... it doesn't actually soak into the nails, but it really keeps them hard.

I super glue cuts closed at work all the time. It works quite nicely.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    Options
    Here's a couple pics of my iHelmet.
    I made this back in 2004, right before I headed out on my 7500 mile cross country scooter ride.
    It helped keep me sane when I was out in the middle of nowhere for hours at a time (like in Montana)foka8amoxknr.jpg
    xk4dnevospgv.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Very nice, I like that.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Yes that looks cooler than I imagined it to be. When I was traveling through europe in my teens I got arrested on the back of my friends bike for not wearing one. It was a shake down for cash.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    Yes that looks cooler than I imagined it to be. When I was traveling through europe in my teens I got arrested on the back of my friends bike for not wearing one. It was a shake down for cash.

That was what, 2 weeks ago?...