Monitor 7s recapped... wow - blown away!

Thanks to the helpful community of audiophiles here, I was able to recap the crossovers of my vintage Monitor Series 7s. I thought they sounded great before, but now I'm absolutely blown away at how sweet these speakers sound. What a marvelous piece of equipment!

In case anyone else out there is considering doing the same, here are the parts I ordered from Parts Express with great success for the crossover repair:
    Dayton Audio PMPC-12 12uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor Item# 027-246 Dayton Audio DMPC-33 33uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor Item# 027-441 TE Connectivity/Raychem RXEF050 0.50A Polyswitch Item# 071-254

It was the best $40 I ever spent and the whole job only took about an hour and a half. Here are a few photos.

New Dayton capacitor vs the original TI cap:
8wzh5up30n7n.jpg

Before:
kgb5bog8iwhi.jpg

After:
kcypzz4fmn8g.jpg

hcau0tb5chk5.jpg
d6g2ukzf9n62.jpg
pf9pj7ppwh3c.jpg

Comments

• Is there a reason why you did not go ahead and do resistors while you were in there?

I used the same type caps with mills resistors to do my M-7's and have heard a big difference. Nice work
  • Is there a reason why you did not go ahead and do resistors while you were in there?

I used the same type caps with mills resistors to do my M-7's and have heard a big difference. Nice work

From what I read up on I didn't think that there would be any benefit from replacing the resistors if they tested out to original specs. Do you think I should replace them?
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Are you running the 7s off the 2270? I would imagine that helps as well. I was quite impressed when I ran my 10A (peerless) off my 2265, I'd say there is a bit of synergy between those old Marantz receivers and the Monitor series!

Nice work!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • cnh wrote: »
    Are you running the 7s off the 2270? I would imagine that helps as well. I was quite impressed when I ran my 10A (peerless) off my 2265, I'd say there is a bit of synergy between those old Marantz receivers and the Monitor series!

Nice work!

Thanks!

Yeah, I do have the 2270 powering the 7s and I have to say that it is a pretty awesome sounding setup. Marantz + Polk is a match made in heaven.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Nice work and looks great!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Looks good! I know after Trey recapped mine with Clarity Cap PX/Mundorf Mox they are in a different league now. Enjoy!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Hofy
    Hofy Posts: 169
    Wait until you replace the tweeters!
  • amb426amb1
    amb426amb1 Posts: 148
    Just finished capping my speakers and can't believe the difference...now it's a matter of burning the new parts in to really get there
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Nice work the speakers look great. I love the Marantz. Now, it's time to sit back and enjoy them.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Difference or not I would replaced the resistors. Those cement type were never very good and the cost of mills resistor's is so cheap and not to mention so much better built.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Difference or not I would replaced the resistors. Those cement type were never very good and the cost of mills resistor's is so cheap and not to mention so much better built.

Thank you. I think I will order them ASAP!
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I'm part of the recap team here also. My M7s were dated from the yellow cap '78 so it was time for Dave to do his thing. I've been rocking them for a few months now them and w/ the original Peerhao604h3d3db.jpg
    less Tweeters in them they sound great,He used Sonicaps and other caps and resistors. Also added were new terminal cups and new nice binding posts.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Nice speakers, I'm sure they match pretty well site your 2270, it's such a great sounding receiver...did you restore yours?