Benchmark DAC2 HGC does anyone run one?

Options
Benchmark has a special trade in on your old DAC.
10 hours left...
Thoughts?

Comments

• footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't work for them or anything.
    Sorry if I offend...
    did @mikeyb128 every get his? :*
    search function did yield some results :#
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I've had mine since around Christmas, And so does @steveinaz if I recall correctly. What would you like to know?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2016
    Options
    well I'm at a crossroads trying to integrate my HT and 2 channel and
    it seems to be holding me back. Love the sound for the most part
    and for movies I'm good but... nice soundstage but for 3-d sound...
    I've got the Benchmark amp and was thinking the DAC would be
    a no brainer as a "pre" and just split the analog and digital worlds.
    Would you describe the sound as digital or lean or warm of phatt?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anyway, I did want to get out there that their
    trade-in "special" was running again if someone was on the
    fence.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I describe mine as warm, very clean and neutral, I really liked what it did in my system. I found it to have a very wide and deep sound stage with a lot of detail. It was a major step up from the benchmark dac1 pre which was a little more forward. For the price of the dac2 it is a feature packed unit, and performs really well in all aspects. The DAC being the strongest point of its features. I did notice better sound through xlr than through RCA, so I recommend using those. And it uses 4 ESS 32 bit DAC sabre chips per channel on the xlr output if I recall correctly. Also you can crack it open and adjust the gain for the outputs using little jumpers. It does have home theater bypass, and from what I noticed it seems to automatically adjust to the correct gain with the volume knob (does not have fixed and variable switch on the back like dac1).

I use mine as a stand alone DAC right now, but it's good to know it has a pre amp in case I need it as a back up. I really feel the benchmark doesn't get as much love as it should in the audiophile world. They were the one of the first ones in the DAC game from what I know.

Add a power cord and nice cables to it and sit back and enjoy. I had many people surprised with the sound that comes from that small little box. I would say go for it. Mine did require a lengthy break in period though.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    As far as your comment on digital... I have an older buddy who is a vinyl addict, anolog psycho. He has more money into his tt than my entire system and home theater combined. He hated "digital nasties" and refuses any computer listening. He really liked what the benchmark brought to the table when playing from my computer, so I take that as a compliment. No it's not super anolog sounding, but I find it takes that digital edge off the music, and really does well with overly hot recordings.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    How can something be warm and neutral?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks @mikeyb128! That was what I was looking for. :)
    Tip of the cap.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    hngjqn13998m.jpeg

• mikeyb128
    edited March 2016
    Options

Ok I'm not the best at explaning what I hear sometimes. And I'm certainly not an audiophile, I'm also fairly new to the 2 channel game, cut me some slack man. :neutral:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    I will, was just bustin' you balls............... :p

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I have the Benchmark DAC2 "L" which is the HGC minus the headphone section. I got the trade-up credit of $800 from my DAC/PRE. Love the DAC2 version. They now have 2 sets of analog inputs and 2 sets of outputs. Very smooth--love it. I use mine as my preamp; DEAD quiet and supremely neutral. The new DAC2's have a number of other improvements as well, see the BM website for details.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    Options

H9

He's probably trying to relate that the new DAC2 is not as "sterile" sounding as the DAC1's were. I agree whole heartedly. The sound has a touch more "body/solidity" to it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks @steveinaz sounds better every minute!
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You can get a few variations; The DAC2 HGC, DAC2 L, DAC2 DX and DAC2 D--they all feature the Hybrid Gain Control 32bit volume setup.

I've never been a headphone guy, so the "L" saved me $200. The "DX" is new and features the much missed XLR digital input of early DAC1's.
  • mikeyb128
    edited March 2016
    Options

H9

Thanks buddy.. You had me a little worried there :smile:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• steveinaz
    Options
    If it means anything, Stereophile's comments were: "The DAC2's measured performace is superb."
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I subscribe. XMas gift. :)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    And it uses 4 ESS 32 bit DAC sabre chips per channel on the xlr output if I recall correctly.

It has four ESS Sabre 9018 DAC chips with four channels allocated to each side of a stereo signal. ;)

Each 9018 has 8 individual channels which can make an 8 channel DAC or you can join inputs/outputs together. Some manufacturers will use a couple of DAC's for headphone out. Oppo did that. The DAC can be internally remapped via firmware.

This illustration shows what goes on with a single 9018 chip with DSD inputs combined and internal remap. Note we have four DAC's for channel A and four for B.

biiidsddefault.png?w=893&h=608

This one with PCM and inputs combined, no internal remap. Note we still have 4 DAC's per channel.

biiii2sdefault.png?w=893&h=608

Changing the Quantizer in the DAC's firmware alters the output config.

Quantizer / Input Channels Used /Output
    6-bit 8 (All) 8×1 – 8-Channel
    7-bit 8 (All) 8×1 – 8-Channel
    8-bit 4 (#1,#2,#5,#6) 4×2 – 4-Channel
    9-bit 2 (#1 and #2) 2×4 -Stereo

Even more than you would possibly want to know. ;) These details were extracted from a diyaudio thread by the ESS Sabre lead designer. It contained info beyond that in the data sheet.

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/sabre32/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I did read that about the Oppo somewhere (maybe here)
    "Quad 32-bit balanced D/A Conversion System"
    so if I'm following, it depends on the firmware?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The DAC chips firmware determines the DAC's configuration. The manufacturer sets the firmware to fit their design parameters based on the data sheet ESS Sabre furnishes. Firmware settings can be fixed with either manual dipswitches and onboard microcontroller or with I2C serial communication and external microcontroller.

Just a guess, but Benchmark could use two DAC chips for PCM output and two for DSD output. Depending on input sensed the DAC chip can be muted, firmware settings changed, DAC unmuted and ready to go in a second.

Firmware can also be optimized per input. PCM and DSD like different settings. However manufacturers are unlikely to allow customers to change the settings as they can lose the rabbit they were hunting and get lost themselves.

An illustration of most of the settings in an ESS 9018 DAC chip. Without knowing what each do, one could get a poor sounding or non functioning DAC. Missing in this illustration is the OSF or oversampling filter. It can be turned on and off.

lcde8a1a8e7a4bab.jpg?w=595

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It will take me a while to drink this in. :#
    Thanks!
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It will take me a while to drink this in. :#
    Thanks!
    I think what Rich (Scomp) is saying is that unit uses a very high performance dac chip.They also paid attention to the important analog section by incorporating some very good LME49860 Opamps.