Polk Audio SDA 1.2 TL's vs Polk Audio LSiM707's

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    They have a better balance from top to bottom.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    The 2.3tls use the same 6510 driver through out, a plus. I listened to both 1.2tls and 2.3tls when I bought mine new in 1990. Money wasn't a problem, I had $5k, spent four days, at Shefield Audio took off work during the week when they were not so busy, lugged records and cd's over there I was a real pest, didn't care! The biggest guys are more impressive with the crossover plate and extra wood sides but I could not justify them they just didn't sound better. I've listened to other speakers over the years. I like SDA speakers, and the effect, period. I bought 1C used $250 for a smaller room. As for as prices I have seen nothing but an increase have not seen 1C for $250 lately :-).
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Options
    Agreed, I think that the 2.3tl was the best SDA made (YMMV). Just my experience.....I'd also say that the SRS 2 (w/tweeter upgrade) would be my second favorite.

A pair of 2.3tl's is on my list of things to re-aquire. I kick myself almost daily for letting mine go.

BDT

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    I am not going to state my preference on the new LsiM series or the vintage far bigger speakers, as it is mostly preference and related to room size and many factors, but I think the decision would be far easier to at least consider, if we had access to being able to hear the LsiM series at Retail locations.

Most of us know what the Vintage Polk sound is, and they were able to be heard in numerous locations, but the LsiM came at a time, when retail audio and brick and mortar stores is becoming a unicorn!
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    No SDA, regular speakers......next!
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    I've had both the 707's and SDA's in the house. I did a side by side comparison of 707s and 2.3TL's. the 707's were part of the Polk demo program and I had them for about 3 weeks. I personally would not consider buying a pair of them and will stick with the 2.3TL's. As Nooshin said, the 707's lack soul and don't have the vast sound stage that SDAs are capable of delivering. That said, they produce very natural sounding vocals which is why I selected a LSiM706C to serve in the center channel position between the SDA's.

One word of caution on the LSiM towers is that they are VERY picky about room conditions. I have heard them sound completely different when placed in different rooms of the house. While the gear you drive any speaker with is very important, the LSiM's seem particularly picky about what they are driven with and you may find that finding synergy between the speakers, room and gear is much more complex than with other speakers.

Another vote for SDA's.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • K_M
    Options
    s,
    dpowell wrote: »
    I've had both the 707's and SDA's in the house. I did a side by side comparison of 707s and 2.3TL's. the 707's were part of the Polk demo program and I had them for about 3 weeks. I personally would not consider buying a pair of them and will stick with the 2.3TL's. As Nooshin said, the 707's lack soul and don't have the vast sound stage that SDAs are capable of delivering. That said, they produce very natural sounding vocals which is why I selected a LSiM706C to serve in the center channel position between the SDA's.

One word of caution on the LSiM towers is that they are VERY picky about room conditions. I have heard them sound completely different when placed in different rooms of the house. While the gear you drive any speaker with is very important, the LSiM's seem particularly picky about what they are driven with and you may find that finding synergy between the speakers, room and gear is much more complex than with other speakers.

Another vote for SDA's.

Yes, but how much of your choice is based on simply wanting the SDA "effect"?

Is part of that also, having the 2.3 TL's for many years, and becoming used to the sound they have?

I think this is an apples and oranges comparison.
    We are talking a vintage speaker with what was and is still, mass market drivers that were not truly anything special.
    I mean not to bash on them, as we own some vintage Polk offerings also, but they are in reality quite average drivers, with limited excursion, stamped frames, and other issues, that many better drivers today do not have.

Would someone used to the Lsi or LsiM line feel the opposite?

Less detail, worse imaging, less clarity etc.

Does it depend a lot on what one is used to hearing first, I mean....?

• F1nut
    Options
    First off, who is this we you keep speaking of in just about all your posts? Secondly, you are quite mistaken about the MWxxxx drivers being nothing special. Doped paper is still one of the best cone materials available. Among others today, Sonus Faber uses them because they produce a natural sound. Then there are the very unique rubber surrounds, which have quite a large excursion. In fact, they are so unique that no one has yet to make an after market replacement and Lord knows there is a market for them.

The one thing you did get right was the apples and oranges comparison as the LSiM's don't even come close to the natural musicality of the SDA's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    "Doped paper" made out of blotter? They get my vote!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    A speakers worth doesn't rest on drivers alone. You can probably look at many higher end speakers today with better drivers but off the shelf cheap crossover parts too. All in all, the only thing that matters regardless if it's put together with chewing gum and paper clips is the sound coming out of them.

What used SDA's go for these days, pretty hard to get that same quality of sound in a new speaker for the same price. Not the most attractive things though, but they do sound good, as with many older speakers using mundane drivers.

You have to remember too, back in the day HT wasn't even born yet or least in their infant stages so everything was voiced for 2 channel. Todays speakers are more dynamic and upfront to accommodate HT and music.....but in that process, imho, they lost some musicality along the way. Not all mind you, but a lot. Just my .02, as this isn't the first time I've heard someone comment about Polks drivers being nothing special.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Tony you're being rational.

H9
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I love my "not high end" (credit to Mystery) made with "average drivers" (Credit to K_M) SDA's.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    Options
    LOL....just sayin'. Can't speak for anyone else but when I listen to a speaker, I don't listen to drivers.....well unless it's real bad and obvious. I listen to the overall sound coming out of them regardless if it's a vintage mundane paper cone, Kevlar that will stop bullets, or 2 squirrels chasing a nut on a wheel inside. Am I right or what ??

That's not to take away from the influence each driver has on the sound either, because they obviously do to some extent, depending of course. I would suggest though that if you find yourself paying too much attention to a certain driver in a speaker, it's not a very good speaker.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rmpolk wrote: »
    Isn't the capitalistic motto for a reputable company's success "Build the best product possible for the least amount of money"?

LOL....In many ways yes. They build to a price point marketing dictates they need to stay under to sell x amount. Now think about what sells products.....Diamond tweeters, special drivers made from the 4skin of Amazonian tribesmen, certain dac chips, etc.

You never hear anyone tout their crossover parts, analog output stages, wire used inside, volume pots...doesn't sell products. Some higher end companies do, no doubt, but generally speaking.

Which, it's part of life to build things to a price point, that's fine and dandy. Like I said, it's the sound coming out of them that dictates their worth, not parts used.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    First off, who is this we you keep speaking of in just about all your posts? Secondly, you are quite mistaken about the MWxxxx drivers being nothing special. Doped paper is still one of the best cone materials available. Among others today, Sonus Faber uses them because they produce a natural sound. Then there are the very unique rubber surrounds, which have quite a large excursion. In fact, they are so unique that no one has yet to make an after market replacement and Lord knows there is a market for them.

The one thing you did get right was the apples and oranges comparison as the LSiM's don't even come close to the natural musicality of the SDA's.

Uh oh, we have an unhappy customer!

Better Let Polk's Speaker Engineers know they made a huge mistake!

"We" meaning a plurality of people, my family. Nothing mysterious!

Unhappy? That would be a negative. However, I do not suffer fools, so welcome to my Bozo list.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited March 2016
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Unhappy? That would be a negative. However, I do not suffer fools, so welcome to my Bozo list.

At this rate Jesse your gonna run out of room soon :wink: ... Maybe we need to go to 200 lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    Options
    Amazingly Dan, I only have 4 on the list right now. Call it the kinder, more tolerant F1.

That said, I had about 80 before the switch to Vanilla.

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    We are talking a vintage speaker with what was and is still, mass market drivers that were not truly anything special.
    I mean not to bash on them, as we own some vintage Polk offerings also, but they are in reality quite average drivers, with limited excursion, stamped frames, and other issues, that many better drivers today do not have.

Here are the T/S Parameters for a typical 6.5" Woofer used in SDAs and some Monitors from that era:

MW 6503
    Fs: 29.8600 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 3.0017 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qts: 0.3100 Total Q
    Qms: 1.7680 Mechanical Q
    Qes: 0.3760 Electrical Q
    Sd: 0.0130 M^2 (Piston area)
    Xmax: 3.1800 mm (Cone excursion, linear)
    Revc: 6.5400 ohms (DC resistance)
    Znom: 8.0000 ohms (Nominal impedance)
    Pmax: 35.0000 watts maximum rated power

If you can find a current replacement from any manufacturer that even comes close, or sounds half as good, I'd like to see it.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • K_M
    Options

Here are the T/S Parameters for a typical 6.5" Woofer used in SDAs and some Monitors from that era:

MW 6503
    Fs: 29.8600 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 3.0017 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qts: 0.3100
    Total Q

Xmax: 3.1800 mm (Cone excursion, linear)

Znom: 8.0000 ohms (Nominal impedance)
    Pmax: 35.0000 watts maximum rated power

If you can find a current replacement from any manufacturer that even comes close, or sounds half as good, I'd like to see it.

I guess you would have to define "Comes close", as to what parameters you feel are unobtainable by replacement drivers first.

"Sounds half as good" that is quite open to interpretation also.

But if your question is serious, the 30hz Fs and Xmax of 3.18mm and Qts of .31 and Impedance and power handling are all easily matched.

The Vas, measurement are somewhat high on the old Polk Drivers, and most newer drivers will have lower corresponding figures relating to a smaller sized enclosure with equal deep bass response.

By far the closest driver, is the Parts Express 6.5" woofer.
    https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-306-dayton-audio-dc160s-8-specifications-46147.pdf

There are other drivers, but that is the only one that is nearly exact specs wise.

You may want to ask your question at Parts Express DIY Speaker building forum, you will get even more help.

But I can tell you most replies will tend towards, "You can actually do better" for less money.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I've used that driver, and while it does perform well, it's no match VAS-wise, The suspension is much too stiff. In addition, it doesn't match Polks classic sound or SQ.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • K_M
    Options
    [quote="F1nut;2218583"
    Unhappy? That would be a negative. However, I do not suffer fools, so welcome to my Bozo list.[/quote]

The thread was one speaker versus another, and for posters to give their ideas and opinions on the matter. No matter what they are.

When someone gives an opinion that differs from your's, it may benefit all involved, if you take a step back and consider, that other people may simply disagree with you.

It is not something to take personally, nor argue about, nor call names about.

People are simply giving opinions. All opinions are welcome!
    Not all will be the same. If they were, the discussion would be quite boring.

One can not throw a virtual temper tantrum simply cause another view is put out that differs with a view you tend to hold dear.

Also, "Ganging up" on someone with a differing view, or perspective, is not seen as an adult way of getting your view across.

Stating your view is fine, but expect some to disagree. Expect that you may even be wrong.
    Hopefully we can agree we are all simply expressing views.
    Doing it politely and maturely will help avoid conflicts and bickering.

In the future, try to not get so hung up on everyone agreeing with you, and open your mind to realizing other views and perhaps posters coming from other backgrounds and levels of expertise, may simply not agree, or may have more in depth information they are basing their comments on.

Thank you, and hopefully we can both view this as adults, and avoid any further bickering or conflict!

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options

But I can tell you most replies will tend towards, "You can actually do better" for less money.

That's open to interpretation as well, define "better"? If it doesn't sound like the classic Polk driver, then I doubt you'd get much agreement that it's "better".

If you are not into the classic Polk sound, that's fine, but just because it doesn't float your boat doesn't mean newer designs are "better".

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • K_M
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

That's open to interpretation as well, define "better"? If it doesn't sound like the classic Polk driver, then I doubt you'd get much agreement that it's "better".

If you are not into the classic Polk sound, that's fine, but just because it doesn't float your boat doesn't mean newer designs are "better".

H9

You missed where I said we actually own a few vintage Polk models!
    I really love the 5jr+ and even mentioned it on a previous thread.

But we own newer designs also, and I value them in other ways.
    We (household) also own other brands of speakers and they have things that set them apart and yes at times better than the older and newer Polk offerings we own.

Each has different strengths and weaknesses.
    Speakers under $5,000 or so are all semi-compromises in one way or another.

Honestly I tend towards a B+W sound And Epos.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A few years ago, I almost bought some Epos ESL-3's for the bedroom. Regretted not getting a chance to hear them

Nik
  • tonyb
    Options
    [
    Each has different strengths and weaknesses.
    Speakers under $5,000 or so are all semi-compromises in one way or another.

Honestly I tend towards a B+W sound And Epos.

No offense pal, but where do you come up with this stuff ? I've heard 20k speakers that in my opinion would classify as compromised. Blanket statements like that don't fly too well in the audio world.

Thing is, there really can be no such thing as compromised since what each of us hear is subjective. Compromised to you may be accurate to another. A come to Jesus sound to me may be just so-so to another. It matters not, except that you enjoy the sound your getting, be it from vintage or new, paper or plastic, caps wound with hair from Unicorns. Just because your preferences are different doesn't make anothers flawed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Quite the opposite tony. Every speaker is flawed, regardless of price. If you truly are approaching live performance quality, it simply will not happen.

That goes without saying Skip, we can also assume every set of ears is flawed too in one fashion or another. Point being, there is no way to even out the variations in subjectivity.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    i could not disagree more with this part of your statement. Prices seem to have actually gone up quite a bit, but this could also be a regional thing.

I am referring to market indicators like sales on EBay. There have only been four sets of SDA speakers sold there (searched on the words Polk sda) since the end of October and none sold for more than $500. Before the recession, there were far more listings, the speakers were in high demand and sold quickly, and the prices sold were about 50 percent higher from what I remember. Of course that was almost ten years ago now when the speakers were not as old. Some of the third generation SDAs are going on 30 years old. Craigslist seems to be about the same in my area and they sit for a long time. For the quality of the speakers, the prices commanded are basically give away prices now. However, I would not recommend putting a lot of money into modifications unless someone loves the basic sound quality and intends to keep the speakers for a long time. Mods don't add much value in the used market. I had ten different pairs over the years and got tired of them when there are so many other options out there.

Emlyn,

There have been a ton of SDA's on the bay, problem is most in the past year have been auctioned for about what the sold for new or very close to it. How do you search for auctions that didn't sell ? I believe you would be surprised on some of the asking prices like they appreciate with age like fine wine.
  • dpowell
    Options

Yes, but how much of your choice is based on simply wanting the SDA "effect"?

Is part of that also, having the 2.3 TL's for many years, and becoming used to the sound they have?

Would someone used to the Lsi or LsiM line feel the opposite?

Less detail, worse imaging, less clarity etc.

Does it depend a lot on what one is used to hearing first, I mean....?

My preference/choice comes from a desire not to listen to music that sounds constipated. That is how the LSiMs sounded to me... and others who came to an audio gathering to have a listen. It was like the speakers had a semi truck jack knifed in their colon were pushing hard just to get the music out.

The SDAs are musical without the interconnect attached. They are astounding with it connected. In other words it's the icing on an already great cake.

You are correct it was an apples to orange comparison. LSiM vs SDA.

You are also not correct in a sense. It was an apples to apples comparison. My ears vs. My ears.

Which comparison matters more is subjective and personal.

The limited excursion you reference is irrelevant when the drivers are properly paired with the right cabinet and bass radiator. My 2.3TLs produce so much silky smooth, undistorted (look at the specs) ultra deep bass in 2 channel mode that my dual SVS PB13 Ultras are not necessary. I use them only for HT.

At the time of demo, I had been in possession of the stock with ancient xo 2.3TL speakers for only 2 weeks and that is what my opinion was based on at the time.

You should hear them now. Upgraded tweeters, Xo's and boards, dynamited driver baskets, new binding posts,.... And a dreadnaught.....all in still less $ than a new pair of 707s.....and a far superior music and home theater experience. But that's just my opinion.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I share your experiences Doug. The SDA is the better speaker for audio. Some of the best sound I have heard came fro your speakers with my tube amps and the X1 connected to them. The 707 did great as a center channel as I recall.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    Options
    Lol that should be dynamatted driver baskets but android wouldnt let me save edits before the 1 hour was up. I don't believe dynamited driver baskets would sound very good. :D