Looking for opinions on Emotiva amplifiers

Options

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Nothing funny about that

ya know when they delete post it makes it look like people are saying something that they did not say
  • Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    Thank you all for your opinions so far. Honest opinions are very helpful to the uninitiated. Ya'll are great!
    The Hillary scared the crap out of me. Thanks motorhead43026 I needed that! LOL
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    The Hillary scared the crap out of me. Thanks motorhead43026 I needed that! LOL

I thought Motorhead's post was hilarious, but apparently there's at least one person without a sense of humor.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    For cryin out loud F! whats LOL mean to you? It was hilarious ROFLMAO. There something I did to you that's causing all this negativity?
  • F1nut
    Options
    I was agreeing with you that it was funny and ragging on the one that deleted it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They work fine and sound good with budget/mid level speakers.
    I did a comparison test of few budget amps including emotiva and crown with my vandersteen 3a signatures and sonus faber.
    While they sounded good, they were not as refined as my rotel nor Aragon.
    Also, if someone thinks Polk monitor 5 or sda-2B etc is high end speakers (love is blind) and buys $2.5k amplifier, well, it's your money but I can think 1000's of better uses.
    Flaming comments welcome.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    I did a comparison test of few budget amps including emotiva and crown with my vandersteen 3a signatures and sonus faber.
    Also, if someone thinks Polk monitor 5 or sda-2B etc is high end speakers (love is blind) and buys $2.5k amplifier, well, it's your money but I can think 1000's of better uses.

I wish you would have told me this before I spent the $1600 to upgrade my McCormack.....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options

This coming from a guy who uses a Crown amp. LOL, ok sure, whatever you say........
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Rex81 wrote: »
    Then there's all the evidence out there showing that even the most experienced audiophiles can't ever tell the difference between amps of similar specs in double blind comparisons regardless of whether they're $200 or $20,000, but that's a different topic.

LMAO.....If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone repeat that. One bozo says it on a forum and it gets repeated on every one sooner or later. Kinda like the Russel reports. People just parrot what they read, never experiencing anything.

That statement is about as far from the truth as our next galaxy.

Anyway, if the OP cares to, do a search as we've cover this topic more times than Kim Kardashian takes selfies.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I do hate to admit it but I have a friend who has a Emo amp and he brought it over to test with my SDAs...let's just say I couldn't wait to get the Parasound back in it's place. Just my opinion however short it is.

Why because it sounded so good.............you might be tempted? Lol :o
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

People just parrot what they read, never experiencing anything.

Referencing a pile of proven findings isn't "parroting". Neither is offering an opposing viewpoint to your own. That's called "discussion". And it could stand to be a little more civil around here.

And for the record, I didn't say I agree with these findings, I just find them interesting. There are plenty of people (Stereophile editors included) that admit to failing to pick out an amp in a blind test, but very much hear a difference in amps during sighted listening.

The interesting part: Is this because blind tests put stress on our brains and impair our ability to process what we hear or is it that sighted tests enable unconscious bias, impairing our ability to process what we hear?

Either way, and no matter your opinion on the topic, isn't this interesting and worthy of a civil discussion?

• heiney9
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rex81 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

People just parrot what they read, never experiencing anything.

Referencing a pile of proven findings isn't "parroting". Neither is offering an opposing viewpoint to your own. That's called "discussion". And it could stand to be a little more civil around here.

And for the record, I didn't say I agree with these findings, I just find them interesting. There are plenty of people (Stereophile editors included) that admit to failing to pick out an amp in a blind test, but very much hear a difference in amps during sighted listening.

The interesting part: Is this because blind tests put stress on our brains and impair our ability to process what we hear or is it that sighted tests enable unconscious bias, impairing our ability to process what we hear?

Either way, and no matter your opinion on the topic, isn't this interesting and worthy of a civil discussion?

Horse....beat...dead!

YAWN

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    The ignore list grows...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    I wish you would have told me this before I spent the $1600 to upgrade my McCormack.....
    I'm not saying better amps don't improve sound.
    Of course they do and if you want and can afford, why not but improving speakers is a major ugrade for sound.
    Upgrading Polks by replacing almost everything except mids does make them sound like better speakers and SDA is unique effect that many love and can't get from other speakers so there is a following.
    One amp can sound better than another same level amp with certain speakers so it's a combination of all the chain links for a purist.
    If you are on a budget and powering budget speakers, try budget amp. There is no harm. If you don't like the sound, return/sale and upgrade.
    Not everyone has thousands of buckaroos to spend on an amp.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

This coming from a guy who uses a Crown amp. LOL, ok sure, whatever you say........

someone say "Crown"...?

14384482776_f1a989abff_b.jpgcrownies by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Options
    I do hate to admit it but I have a friend who has a Emo amp and he brought it over to test with my SDAs...let's just say I couldn't wait to get the Parasound back in it's place. Just my opinion however short it is.

What did your friend think?
    Also what were the differences between the two?
    What did you not like about it compared to the Parasound?
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options

Are $9,000 Focals high end? Because I like the Polks better, in every way.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    I'm not saying better amps don't improve sound.
    Of course they do and if you want and can afford, why not but improving speakers is a major ugrade for sound.
    Upgrading Polks by replacing almost everything except mids does make them sound like better speakers and SDA is unique effect that many love and can't get from other speakers so there is a following.
    One amp can sound better than another same level amp with certain speakers so it's a combination of all the chain links for a purist.
    If you are on a budget and powering budget speakers, try budget amp. There is no harm. If you don't like the sound, return/sale and upgrade.
    Not everyone has thousands of buckaroos to spend on an amp.

I meant to be lighthearted in my response. The upgrade was a spur of the moment decision and is likely to be the biggest audio investment I ever make. And we all like what we like.
    That being siad, after my Parasound, B&K, and Conrad Johnson, the McCormack makes all of my vintage speakers sing in a new way. I was surprised at a new level of detail and spaciousness the old Polks and Infinitys could attain. The Lsi9 were another step up.
    Baby steps.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Are $9,000 Focals high end? Because I like the Polks better, in every way.

Unfair to judge a speaker by poorly matched components. Just sayin
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Parasound Halo?
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    slbenz wrote: »
    I used to own a XPA-5 that replaced my Parasound HCA-1205A 5 channel amp. The Emotiva was neutral and had a more upfront sound stage than the Parasound that it replaced. Very well built and ran much cooler than my Parasound. I would recommend Emotiva.

Not even sure where to start with this.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I love my gen2 XPA-1's...they are nothing short of amazing with the RTI12'S and Musical Fidelity Dac.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Parasound Halo?

Exactly. I remember the thread on this.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    Options
    What did you think of the KEF LS50's?

President of Club Polk

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    deucekazoo wrote: »

What did your friend think?
    Also what were the differences between the two?
    What did you not like about it compared to the Parasound?

I have fairly stock 1985 vintage SDA2 speakers with dual SL2000 tweeters placed horizontally as the outboards are dimensional tweeters and are hooked up, the rest of the system at the time was my Onkyo TX-NR717 AVR as the pre and a Marantz CD6004 spinning discs. XPA-2 v HCA1200II.

He and I both came to a similar conclusion, the Parasound was much more lively in it's presentation, more musical and warmth as compared to the Emo. Also the Emo produced very shrill and extremely phasey highs with my speakers and my friend also noticed this. A very forward presentation indeed is made by the Emo whereas the 1200II was more relaxed and let the music sound like well, music. One thing I did notice a lot more than he did was how shallow the image was. We also sampled both amplifiers on his KEF LS50 speakers and well, to wrap this up, he sold the Emo soon after and is the proud owner of a serviced and recap'ed HCA-1500A and loves it.

I like this post because its sums up the emo experience for me.
  • F1nut
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    What did you think of the KEF LS50's?

For the price they command up here, meh. I'd rather listen to my RTiA3s to be honest.

LOL.....thanks!

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Just wondering. I've seen a bit of talk about how good they are, but I've also noticed a lot of them don't stay with the original owner either. They've got a pretty dismal bottom end on paper.

President of Club Polk