Lsim 705 with knocking noise durring low bass

Options
Just watched a movie and I was standing near the right lsim 705 and heard some loud high pitches knocking coming from the speaker. So I pull the cover off and see the woofers going nuts durring so I touch them and heard the sound stop. So of course I wait for more low bass passages to figure what's going on and isolate it to the lower subwoofer. :/

It's a high rattle/knocking only at low bass parts.

Am I screwed?? These are prob 3-4 years old I'm thinking and bought at polks ebay direct store which mentions only 2 year warranty on towers.. will have to find my receipt if I have one which I don't think so. It might of been new insted if that matters but prob not.

So is that noise a sign of trouble as in its blown or is something just loose?

Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
Fronts - LSiM 705
Center - LSiM 706c
Sides - LSiM 703
Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
Emotiva stealth DC-1
Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Comments

• eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    Options
    Oh btw . I don't have a subwoofer.. I have the fronts set at full range.. and have a emotiva xpa-2 runing them.. I believe it's rated at 250 watts like the speakers but never go crazy loud on them.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    It sounds like you are over extending the drivers as they try to keep up with the low bass. It would probably be best if you got a sub and set the speakers to small. Everything has its limits.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • eclypse
    Options
    Even though the other left 705 does not do this with its 2 subwoofers?
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Hello,

It may be as simple as something loses inside the cabinet, why don't you pull the woofer and have a look?

Cheers
  • eclypse
    Options
    polk500 wrote: »
    Hello,

It may be as simple as something loses inside the cabinet, why don't you pull the woofer and have a look?

Cheers

I hear ya but feel I might wana call CS first before diving into tearing it apart to void any warranty they may provide.

Thinking possable loose spider as I've read from others.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• eclypse
    Options
    Just tested it some more durring fantastic 4 since I know there's a ton of low bass in thst movie (hated that flick). Seems to be coming from the top of the bottom subwoofer so I bet it's the subwoofer spider.

So if one wanted to pull the subwoofer off the 705 I assume the outer rubber gasket pulls away from the inner edge to reveal 4 mounting screws?
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• jghglofer
    jghglofer Posts: 100
    Options
    yes the rubber is just a finish trim for looks. it will come out with ease.
    home all is good.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    It sounds like you are over extending the drivers as they try to keep up with the low bass. It would probably be best if you got a sub and set the speakers to small. Everything has its limits.

+++1!
  • eclypse
    Options
    The only place I have room for the sub would be in the rear of the room.. I'd ha e to pull the couch off the back wall about 3 feet. Now I don't mind moving the couch out as I've been wanting to as it would be better for sound and we sit 18-20 feet back from the 75" sony 940c flad 4k uhd tv.. and it's mention it's best to sit like 8-12 feet away.

Though with that said, I've had these for nearly 4 years and never had this issue prior and rhe other 705 don't do it and is smooth sounding.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    eclypse wrote: »
    The only place I have room for the sub would be in the rear of the room.. I'd ha e to pull the couch off the back wall about 3 feet. Now I don't mind moving the couch out as I've been wanting to as it would be better for sound and we sit 18-20 feet back from the 75" sony 940c flad 4k uhd tv.. and it's mention it's best to sit like 8-12 feet away.

Though with that said, I've had these for nearly 4 years and never had this issue prior and rhe other 705 don't do it and is smooth sounding.

Hello,

Pulling the woofer shouldn't be hard to do, I think jghgolfer is correct it's only 4 screws but I'm not home till tomorrow or I would have a look.

As for viewing the TV I used to sit back 15' from my 65" and when I read ideally you should be 10 to 12' for that size screen I reconfigure our media room so now the sweet spot is 9' back so much better and as a bonus it is also the perfect distance for two channel listening as well.

And if you pick up a sub depending on what one you get it may sound great in the back of the room...

Cheers

• jghglofer
    jghglofer Posts: 100
    Options
    yes 4 screws holds the woofer in place
    and in my 1st post
    "hope all is good"
  • eclypse
    Options
    I borrowed the polk audio PSW404b subwoofer from the basement setup for the time being and damn did it save family movie night!!

Watched San Andreas ultra hd blu ray and damn the low bass obviously was increased! Hehe

Managed to fit it to the right of the front right speaker.

I'll try getting ahold of CS this week and see what can be done for the speaker.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    It sounds like you are over extending the drivers as they try to keep up with the low bass.

This!

Your (most) speakers cannot reproduce the LFE bass found in a lot of movies these days. You're lucky to have made it this far without damage. Get a good sub and set all the speakers to small crossed at 80Hz. That's not a sharp cut off, your speakers will still produce sound below that frequency, just not as much as if run full.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• eclypse
    Options
    Just got off the phone with polk customer service and wow! There sending me 2 new subwoofers for my lsim705!!

My warranty period was up and he said your close enough.. hehe (actually like a year out)

Thank you polk audio!

Now thats why I stick with polks! It's all I own for the past 20 something years now!
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Polk Customer Service it top notch!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    Hello,

Cheers

I remember buying a pair and had a similar problem, so I called Polk Customer service, and like with you, they sent me a replacement woofer.
    However, when I went to replace the woofer, I found that some packaging materials had worked it's way inside the cabinet causing a rattling noise from the woofer
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• eclypse
    Options
    dhart86 wrote: »
    Hello,

Cheers

I remember buying a pair and had a similar problem, so I called Polk Customer service, and like with you, they sent me a replacement woofer.
    However, when I went to replace the woofer, I found that some packaging materials had worked it's way inside the cabinet causing a rattling noise from the woofer

Thanks for the insight. Can't wait to pop it out and see what's wrong with it when I get the replacement in a couple of days.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• eclypse
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Coming already tomorrow!
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• eclypse
    Options
    There here! Now to pull the old one out and see what's up.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• eclypse
    Options
    All good! Was a pain getting the thick rubber gasket off with a plastic spoon. Here I was trying to dig the edge out on the outer edge.. once I tried the innew edge it came right off in a sec as I was able to grab it and pull it off with ease.

Not much to see in there as ea subwoofer the cabnet is sealed around it. Nothing looked loose and could see 0 damage to the woofer itself. Slapped the new one in and tested it out on a movie with low bass and the sub off and smooth!

Gona keep the sub on it for now on as wow.. what a difference with the sub for movies. Hehe
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• cfrizz
    Options
    Gona keep the sub on it for now on as wow.. what a difference with the sub for movies. Hehe

For now? Do you really need to learn this lesson a second time to get a clue?

Either keep the sub on it all the time, or get another sub to put on it. But the bottom line is you need the sub.

Your own ears are telling you that it sounds better because it is better, on both movies and music, for your ears and the speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • eclypse
    Options

Either keep the sub on it all the time, or get another sub to put on it. But the bottom line is you need the sub.

Your own ears are telling you that it sounds better because it is better, on both movies and music, for your ears and the speakers.

Learn to read and comprehend.. I said leavening on from now on.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• cfrizz
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just as soon as you learn to write intelligible sentences. For is not from. If you had written from, there would have been no confusion. And FYI leavening is what causes dough to rise. I believe you meant leaving. But at any rate, I'm glad you got it fixed enjoy your system.

"Gona keep the sub on it for now on as wow.. what a difference with the sub for movies. Hehe"
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options

Learn to read and comprehend.. I said leavening on from now on.

That was rude and funny since it was you that screwed up.