The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones

Options
2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I do love their older stuff reminds me of when I thought I had a future
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    afterburnt, the Beatles were a tremendous phenomenon, the likes of were never seen before that time. Whether by virtue of marketing or just the fact that the country was ready for something, it was a phenomenon for sure. I mean, when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, EVERYBODY was in front of the TV, and people WAITED for a new Beatles record to come out. I'm not taking sides on who was better, that's a personal thing, and I also love the Stones (Sticky Fingers is my favorite and I've seen them live many times and I've never seen a bad show) but there is no denying the Beatles blew the roof off the mother when they hit it big. And the good thing about them is that they moved past the top 40 stuff (although early Beatle albums are great) and progressed to the point where they were leading the scene in innovative music. The Stones, the Beach Boys and a whole bunch of other bands were scurrying after Sgt. Peppers came out. Because of their status, they were one of a few that had unlimited studio time at their disposal, and they turned into real artists.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Initially I was more thunderstruck by the Stones back then but the Beatles are my favorite of the two. I think Dylan going electric was more significant because it pissed off so many Folkies lol
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Damned conformist
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    I'd encourage anyone with even a passing interest in or (better yet) knowledge of the whole Beatles phenomenon to seek out a copy of Eric Idle's brilliant and (at least to my taste) hysterical satire on the rise and fall of the Fab Four, "All You Need Is Cash".
  • dromunds
    Options
    Or Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money. Lol
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    @dromunds

Don knows of what I speak

Forget the Beatles. Forget the Stones

Go out and buy yourself a Rutles album. LOL.

2m40w3wo617z.jpeg
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • dromunds
    Options
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    Pretty much with Bluefox and Drumonds on this one. I don't think anyone even a few years younger than yours truly experienced the impact the Beatles had on the counterculture of that time. It's easy to dismiss all that, especially if you "grew up, got a job, raised a family and reverted to a new version of your parents"? Take a look, instead, at what Albert Schweitzer had to say about adults and what they're all too quick to tell the young. I often wince and bite my tongue when that disilusioned adult tongue slips out when talking to my daughter, and for GOOD reason.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Albert Schweitzer said
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.

Other than that, I got nothin'...

;- )
  • afterburnt
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Initially I was more thunderstruck by the Stones back then but the Beatles are my favorite of the two. I think Dylan going electric was more significant because it pissed off so many Folkies lol

I only seen it on TV or something. I think it was the Dylan documentary "Long road home"? The absolute revulsion, disbelief and feeling of betrayal that some of his fans had after witnessing him playing a Strat was priceless. They were traumatized and they wanted him dead! The Beatles never did that, did they?
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Albert Schweitzer said
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.

Other than that, I got nothin'...

;- )

Lol! Reverence for Life, discussion about "youthful idealism", by a, then, elderly missionary Doctor?
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    Options
    BEATLES-[62]-Love me do/ saw her standing there ROLLING STONES [JUST FORMING // ROLLING STONES [63] wanna be your man/come on/stoned //BEATLES[63] money/twist and shout// ROLLING STONES [64] around and around/not fade away/time is on my side/make love to you// BEATLES [64]cant buy me love/8 days a week/hard days night/i feel fine/help/ticket to ride/hide your love away/back in the ussr// ROLLING STONES [65]no satisfaction/get off my cloud/the last time/im free/play with fire// BEATLES[65]drive my car/Norwegian wood/ROLLING STONES[66]19th nervous breakdown/paint it black/under my thumb/mothers little helper//BEATLES [66]good day sunshine/taxman/get you into my life/yellow sub/tomorrow never knows/elenor rigby//ROLLING STONES [67]spend the night together/ruby tuesday/2000 light years/BEATLES[67]Mystery tour/lucy in the sky/strawberry fields/hello goodbye/srg.pepper/good morning/day in the life/the walrus/penny lane//ROLLING STONES[68]sympathy for the devil/street fighting man//BEATLES [68]Dear Prudence/day tripper/yer blues/revolution/something to hide/paper back writer/we can work it out/helter skelter/do it in the road/sexy sadie/savory truffle/while my guitar/warm gun/so tired/obla di/hey jude/birthday/cry baby cry/glass onion/ROLLING STONES[69]gimmie shelter/cant always get/monkey man/midnight rambler/let it bleed//BEATLES[69]come together/something/dont let me down/All together now/here comes the sun/old brown shoe/ballad of john and yoko/poly pam/never give me your money/the end/bulldog/i want you/carry the weight//ROLLING STONES[70]honky tonk women/jumping jack flash// BEATLES[70]Get back/got a feeling/dig a pony/2 of us/for you blue/i me mine/across the universe/// As you can tell I got bored.but I think it proves that for he 63-70 time frame the Beatles were the Superior band in terms of hit songs!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    The Beatles did do a Motown cover or two, but I think what he meant was the radio was generally playing alot of Motown and Motown covers, and the Beatles took rock to a whole new level to the point where people were wondering what the Beatles were going to say about revolution and other cultural issues of the day, that being the Vietnam era and such. When Let It Be came out as a single, it had a dramatic effect on people's attitudes. Had they said, Burn It All Down I believe it may have been different. That's how important the Beatles were at the time IMHO. Not to say the Stones weren't important, but it appeared to me the Beatles were looked at as more of an intellectual and philosophical vanguard so to speak during that period.

Yes. Exactly. I remember people being beat by the police for having long hair. And NWA thinks they had it rough. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    Options
    Zeppelin, o sorry, wrong thread
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,907
    Options
    I would have to pick the Rolling Stones, I love the Beatles though..

At least The Who wasn't listed, never got into them, never understood the craze.. I like a few songs but not enough for me to spend my money on..
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Options
    This kind of reminds me when I was a kid and was asked Ginger or Mary Ann. I must admit the first thing I thought of was Emma Peel. When I read the question, I thought of the early Kinks. FWIW, the Stones. For no other reason that I put on "Through the Past Darkly" the other day. Two or three days before that I played "Revolver". If it was the other way around I might of went with the Beatles. Both those bands had slick production. They're pretty much equal to me.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Emma Peel (Dame Diana Rigg). now you're talkin'...

AR-AI160_RIGG_FR_20141218105207.jpg
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I was into Ann Francis "Honet West" back then
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yep, Emma Peel was spank bank material for this young lad back in the day....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.