The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones

Options
No weapons

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Really different types of music. If I had to choose one though, would be The Beatles.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I tend to agree although I reall like both bands i can listen to the Beatles just about anytime I have to be in a kind of cruddy mood to really get into the Stones. But in a brawl I take the Stones, they probaby fight dirty
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Pink Floyd DSotM through The Wall. Oh wait. Tough call but probably Stones.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Apples vs Oranges
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
  • dromunds
    Options
    I remember this debate when I was a kid
  • dromunds
    Options
    There was a real funny review in an underground newspaper one time in the 70's that asked who was the best rock singer of all time, Mick Jagger or Eric Carmen from the Rasperries. The guy concluded it was Eric Carmen because he was wanted for statutory rape in more states and therefore by definition was more popular.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It is said that the 'OO outperformed the Stone Rollers so profoundly during the filming of "The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus" that Messrs. Jagger & Richards shelved whole project. The "A Quick One" clip only saw the light of day in 1979 when Jeff Stein's movie "The Kids are Alright" was released.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    It is said that the 'OO outperformed the Stone Rollers so profoundly during the filming of "The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus" that Messrs. Jagger & Richards shelved whole project. The "A Quick One" clip only saw the light of day in 1979 when Jeff Stein's movie "The Kids are Alright" was released.

Was that the one where Yoko accompanied John with her artistic screaming?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Likely so. They were definitely part of it.
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You haven't seen the footage till you heard Bill Burr narrate the clip...

http://youtu.be/oMWQNwfsAJ0

Warning! - lots of f bombs

(For some reason I can only find a Spanish subtitled one but you get the point)
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have been listening to "Let It Bleed" at least once a week for the last 45 years. Have not tired of it yet.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    Can you eat one potato chip or walk around with one shoe? This is madness :D
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I have been listening to "Let It Bleed" at least once a week for the last 45 years. Have not tired of it yet.

My favorite Stones album! B)

Mine too.
    Not a huge R S fan, but that is a m o - f o of an album.

24190144976_7f1da04299_h.jpgDSC_2461 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

24216429785_461038c105_h.jpgDSC_2464 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

23589593233_b036893db7_h.jpgDSC_2465 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,524
    Options
    I like the Stones "but" I will always go with the Beatles

I love all their albums but Rubber Soul thru Let It Be are the best.

I remember playing Blue Jay Way over and over and over till my mom wanted to scream.
    I would play the Who, Zombies and Yardbirds before I'd play a Stones album.
    Go ahead and give me all the grief you like. :-)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    Options
    Beatles all the way. Not even close if you ask me.....
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,119
    Options
    Without The Beatles, there would have never been the 'Stones...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I likewise suspect that's true, but it's not a testable hypothesis.

:- )

I've always preferred the Mop Tops to the Rolling Stones... but the best of the latter's stuff was and is stuff for the ages.

And, heck, Keith Richards is still alive... that's worth some points right there.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    When I heard the Stones version of Little Red Rooster, I Want To Hold Your Hand started sounding pretty lame.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • deronb1
    Options
    rmpolk wrote: »
    Being a Beatles fan myself, I'd have the say the Stones are the better band from both a more musically and lyrically diverse standpoint

Wat???
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I like all the Beatles stuff up until they went to India. But the Stones (overall anyways) I still like more than "the fab four."
  • deronb1
    Options
    rmpolk wrote: »
    That's Charlie Watts!!! [no Niel Peart, Kieth Moon,or John Bonham but still a better drummer than Ringo I must Say]

Maybe, but both bands,music didnt really require a dynamic drummer.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    The Beatles get credit for a cultural revolution that came from bringing Rock back from the Motown c r a p that was on the radio at that time. The Stones rock. End of discussion. I have lots of Stones songs on my rock playlist, and zero by the Beatles. However, I do have a "I Saw Her Standing There' version by the Tubes on the playlist.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm not a great fan of rock music, but I would give the nod hands down to "The Beatles," whom I believe will prove to have had a far more profound and lasting effect of the evolutionary trajectory of music in general, not just rock music.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• afterburnt
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The Beatles get credit for a cultural revolution that came from bringing Rock back from the Motown c r a p that was on the radio at that time. The Stones rock. End of discussion. I have lots of Stones songs on my rock playlist, and zero by the Beatles. However, I do have a "I Saw Her Standing There' version by the Tubes on the playlist.

Wth? The Beatles were doing Mowtown covers!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Beatles for me. They are, however, much more pop than rock, unlike the Stones.
  • dromunds
    Options
    The Beatles did do a Motown cover or two, but I think what he meant was the radio was generally playing alot of Motown and Motown covers, and the Beatles took rock to a whole new level to the point where people were wondering what the Beatles were going to say about revolution and other cultural issues of the day, that being the Vietnam era and such. When Let It Be came out as a single, it had a dramatic effect on people's attitudes. Had they said, Burn It All Down I believe it may have been different. That's how important the Beatles were at the time IMHO. Not to say the Stones weren't important, but it appeared to me the Beatles were looked at as more of an intellectual and philosophical vanguard so to speak during that period.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,524
    Options
    Nicely put Don
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If memory serves me and I assure that it doesnt the Beatles didn't come into their own until after Mowtown had. Pretty much peaked. I supposewhen the Beatles show up on the scene they were a nice change of pace 64 65 6but not all that phenomenal