I Never Should Have Bought a Turntable

Options
13»

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    There I was, happily buying used retail. Then you turned me into a diy'r! lol

I know, its easier to blame the other guy instead of taking responsibility for your own choices.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,137
    Options
    Grab a copy of Let it Be...Naked!, and you will see why vinyl is so dam n good! Spinning this on now and it is so much fun to listen to. If I close my eyes and listen, the only thing that breaks the illusion of The Beatles performing live just tor me is the distinct lack of pot smoke and the associated contact high.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    58 yo here and love going back to vinyl after thinking I was better off with the new formats. Life is good and choices to be made.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    According to Discogs I am now up to $1k in vinyl. That didn't take long. $20-$40 per album adds up quick. The only logical thing to do now is upgrade my table. I'm thinking something along the lines of a linear tracker.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love linear trackers as well, but I have to say that a great pivot arm does as God a job without many of the complexity issues of LT's.

My PX3 was/is a great table, but gets smoked by the Triangle/origin combo. Now I need a good record cleaner.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Junkies that can't get off the junk
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Black tar junkie here... :D

• Nightfall
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love linear trackers as well, but I have to say that a great pivot arm does as God a job without many of the complexity issues of LT's.

My PX3 was/is a great table, but gets smoked by the Triangle/origin combo. Now I need a good record cleaner.

You're supposed to be helping me get hyped, not telling me the table I have now is just as good without the complexity issues. :p

• Nightfall
    Options
    Black tar junkie here... :D

21349492.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

You're supposed to be helping me get hyped, not telling me the table I have now is just as good without the complexity issues. :p
    I would rather be brutally honest. I have had zero issues with my PX3, and I do plan on a linear setup for the Triangle, but that said, there is more to go wrong with these older tables that simply cannot be fixed. If the opportunity to make a very significant jump up the food chain did not present itself, I likely would have never moved on from it.

• Nightfall
    Options
    So if I get the PX-3 it would be wise to hang onto my current table as a backup?

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Experiment for sure. The px will better your current table IMHO, but it will be a matter of how much. That I can't answer. If you are looking to make a quantum leap, not sure this will get you there.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    According to Discogs I am now up to $1k in vinyl.

I have found a thousand LP's. I'm up to $1k. :)
    (plus about 500-1000 not dollar LPs)
    Some times a feel like chucking them all plus all
    the CDs so I have room for some floorstanders :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    LOL....to each his own. Depends on your listening habits. Back in the day, you could buy an album or cd and have 5-8 good songs out of 10. Now it seems if you find 2-3 out of the bunch your lucky. If you break that down, your paying way more than if you just bought the HD files of only the songs you liked. Not to mention the storage issues.

Don't know about any of you guys, but I don't waste my time on songs I don't like. That's why I left vinyl long ago, who wants to keep flippin' records after 2 songs or jumping around the album. Least with a cdp you can skip right to what you want, but digital has made it even more convenient.

I guess for me the 2 most valuable assets you have is your time and wallet, and vinyl doesn't fit into either of those these days.

But....if that's your horse, ride it like you stole it. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,989
    Options
    Heck, I'm even paying for HBO so I can watch the new show by Scorcese and Mick Jagger called "Vinyl."
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Heck, I'm even paying for HBO so I can watch the new show by Scorcese and Mick Jagger called "Vinyl."

I got a free pass to HBO this last weekend and recorded the first 2 episodes of Vinyl. Hope its not good because I don't want to pay for HBO. :#
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    We inherited tons of audio stuff, from my husband's uncle that passed away a few years ago.

Several hundred albums, turntables, Speakers and on and on. He was really an audio junkie!

We had a lotta fun with the old vinyl, and his was in really great condition. Our ventures to get new stuff or used stuff from stores, was either a let down or a wake up call.

Most used really seemed to "Be" used. Not all are loving and caring!
    Most new, seemed to be "Typical by the numbers releases" and very expensive.

It is almost like they know they can get a lot for vinyl from some and they are getting it....lol
    Now we are not sure what we want to do.

WE like it a lot in some fun ways, but not sure it is really feasible in other ways.
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    Nice pickup km, most people who ask me if they should get into vinyl, and they dont already have a lot of vinyl, I tell them Hell no unless they are ready to spend a good deal of money.

A good dac and audio system will do a good job using a subscription service, but they will never have many of the gems in collections of people who have been collecting for decades.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • Nightfall
    Options
    @K_M Get a Spinclean. That was the one of the best analog purchases I have made, honestly. Transforms used vinyl.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Nice pickup km, most people who ask me if they should get into vinyl, and they dont already have a lot of vinyl, I tell them Hell no unless they are ready to spend a good deal of money.

A good dac and audio system will do a good job using a subscription service, but they will never have many of the gems in collections of people who have been collecting for decades.

Ya, the crazy thing is, we kinda were into vinyl years ago, you know growing up and all, it was the only thing going at the time. Got out of it completely by the early 90's, and after getting a ton of stuff from his uncle's estate, felt like getting back into it again.
    We figured it could not hurt to try and see again. :)
    But we have semi-mixed feelings now.

I think I would tell someone younger, to seriously not bother, cause it is something you can not just experiment with or try, without a good bit of work, space, money and time.

I somewhat compared it to my husband's one friend that restored an antique car. We totally adored how it looks, the fun of riding in it and seeing it at his house!

But the reality of owning that old car, and how much time and money he spent getting it to look nice and be usable were more than we would consider worthwhile.