Carver Amazing Platinum Speakers- $1750.00

Options
2»

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Guys, not to offend anyone but I did have a chance to listen to a set of these several years ago. I understand placement is a bit difficult, but get it and the power right and it is awesome. The set I listened to were powered by Carver silver 9's (I think is correct). I felt like I could touch each person in the band. Millage Gilbert "lets straighten it out" was mind blowing.

Personally if I had the money I would buy these, I would consider them as NOS.

Again, just my opinion.

Good luck with the sale.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Technically Troy is correct, those are not Platinums, they are the original Carver Amazing Loudspeaker. Very different models and I have the service manual to prove it.

I also have a photo copy of the owner's manual for this listed model. If someone buys these and wants the copy I'd be happy to send it. I'm keeping the service manual.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Technically Troy is correct, those are not Platinums, they are the original Carver Amazing Loudspeaker. Very different models and I have the service manual to prove it.

I also have a photo copy of the owner's manual for this listed model. If someone buys these and wants the copy I'd be happy to send it. I'm keeping the service manual.

Well I'm not certain of which model I listened to, but they were AMAZING.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    Well crap...next set I see locally for anything resembling a deal I may just grab them...unless an elusive set of 1.2tl's shows up first...
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Options
    Read the rules....ok, let me throw out a few little factoids for you guys. If you find this personally insulting, well, I don't mean it that way but how you interpret it is TOTALLY up to you.

Now, notice, I haven't invoked my previous standing around here because it doesn't matter in the least. However, there are a few things that I hold to be true about the forum in general and the FM in particular.

Now, to start, I didn't say anything personal about the OP. If he takes it that way...so be it...but, let's recap. The ad is misleading at best. I didn't think it was intentional but it's not relevant. They aren't Plats. It's misleading. If you misrepresent something like that...and then sell them to some unsuspecting dude and then that dude eventually tries to resell them as Plats and then is informed that they really aren't...well, I'd be kinda pissed. So, that was informational. NOS. New Old Stock. When I buy something as NOS. I take it to mean as unopened and unused. Original packaging and so forth. Sitting in the closet for a couple decades with no boxes or manuals....is a VERY long stretch for NOS. Years ago there was a REAL NOS AR turntable that went for stupid cash because it was, in fact, NOS. It went for a couple grand or something like that. Now, you could buy a minty AR turntable for a couple C notes without too much trouble at the time....you see the difference there, right? So, if you are asking a premium price for NOS....well, I'm of the opinion that it should be NOS....and the asking price is way too high. I thought so and I said it. I didn't mean it, per se, as an insult....but the OP isn't a newbie in terms of buying and selling Amazings and therefore, I'm pretty sure knows what the market is...which brings me to my last and most important point:

The Flea Market. There was a time were the FM was a place where we moved gear amongst each other. Lot of it was to keep stuff "in the family" so to speak. There were unwritten rules. We dealt as gentlemen. While making a few bucks wasn't a bad thing, we didn't gouge. If you wanted profit, you went to eBay or Audiogon. I, and many others, did both. We did a LOT of self policing here because we took the FM seriously. So, yes, I think 1750 is a gouge and not in keeping with what a lot of us had in mind for the FM. So, who am I to run my mouth? Someone that spent a lot of time and effort on this forum. I've GIVEN more gear away on this forum just to help someone along in this great hobby...just as guys like El Roma, F1 and others have done for me. I've hosted 4 (maybe 5...) Polkfests at my expense...attended even more. In short, I've done my share promoting the public good on this forum and DO feel entitled to my say so around here. Polk isn't what it was (no knock on anyone and I'd lay down in traffic for Ken) they don't care about any of that (otherwise, I'd be listening to LSiMs right now).....but I still do...so, the rules you can roll up and smoke. I'll stick with integrity.

BDT of the OG FM enforcing BDT's
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    Options
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Wish I had more thumbs....2 up for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    Agreed!! On all levels..
  • Texas42
    Texas42 Posts: 404
    Options
    Moderator. You can close this thread. It has already been thread-jacked and the resident expert has already declared I am forcing someone to pay an exorbitant price for my speakers. I'm glad at least he didn't invoke 'his previous standing' (oh wait). There is always at least one on every board that feels it is their position to be the sheriff. I had hoped haven given his two cents (several times) that he would let my ad stand on its own merits. Obviously, I was wrong.
  • hewlew1
    hewlew1 Posts: 154
    Options
    They are in really nice shape and they can sound Amazing with the right amplification but this model is down right power hungry . I have a pair and also 2 pair of plats a pair of silvers and a pair of AL3's. When I got mine I played them on a bridged pair of M500T's which they had no problem consuming every watt they could produce and still needed more. I finally bought a pair of QSC RMX 2450 pro amps that put out 2400 watts into a 4 ohm load bridged. That made them stand at attention!
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Options
    Texas42 wrote: »
    Moderator. You can close this thread. It has already been thread-jacked and the resident expert has already declared I am forcing someone to pay an exorbitant price for my speakers. I'm glad at least he didn't invoke 'his previous standing' (oh wait). There is always at least one on every board that feels it is their position to be the sheriff. I had hoped haven given his two cents (several times) that he would let my ad stand on its own merits. Obviously, I was wrong.

What merits?

NOS Platinums for 1750

If someone can tell me what "merit" there is to any of that..I'm all ears. Seriously, if you would have been OK taking someone's 1750 under those terms? Jeeeze...what has this place come to?

Oh, and of course I run my mouth...it's what I do...been doing it a long time.

• F1nut
    Options
    Texas42 wrote: »

Forgetting the asking price for a minute, you misrepresented what you listed, which was pointed out long before BDT joined in, so don't jump on him. You should have asked for this thread to be deleted back then and relisted with the proper description.

F1nut of the F1 Sheriff's Department

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Seems like some here would like to proceed with tar and feathers.

Not at all.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »

I might....kinda boring around here lately, we could use some entertainment. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »

I might....kinda boring around here lately, we could use some entertainment. :p

Troublemaker.
This discussion has been closed.