Carver Amazing Platinum Speakers- $1750.00

Options
Texas42
Texas42 Posts: 404
edited February 2016 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
One of the most iconic truly full range speakers ever made. These are the original Carver Amazing Platinum Loudspeakers. These are basically New Old Stock in that they have been in storage for most of their life. The ribbons are pristine as well as the cabinets which are a beautiful high gloss black. There are rarely available for sale due to their rarity and size. They have 4 open baffle 12" woofers per speaker and offer true 'full range' capability and extend below 20Hz! The 60" of true ribbons per speaker sparkle like no other speaker out there. They are like a large Magnepan on steroids in that they have the same open, box-less sound but much better bass and dynamic capabilities. Bob Carver's newest flagship is over $15,000 which he tried to incorporate the sound of these into something much smaller for the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). I do recommend a good, high current amp to drive these but that goes without saying. You wouldn't drive a Ferrari with cheap tires. Woofers have been upgraded and re-foamed so these are truly 'plug and play'. Only reason for sale is due to upcoming move out of state and I don't have the boxes. These will compete with speakers costing well over $10k (I've owned a number of them) and were the assault on the high end on a complete full range package. r1w1xrv6mwe1.jpg
nxzsjyk4wu3d.jpg
nqq862q99wfo.jpg
If you don't know what these are, please do your research. If you do know what these are, you will never find a pair of these in this condition and the price is an absolute steal versus anything out there. Cash and local pickup only. You will need a truck or van for pickup. If you are in the San Antonio area I might be able to help you with the transport in my vehicle. These are extremely well built, designed and sounding. No cosmetic or operational issues. One listen and you will be sold. Serious inquiries only please.

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Awesome speakers. Please tell us your asking price for these beauties. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    What price are you asking?
  • Texas42
    Options
    Sorry....added to the title.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    Options
    I take it a subwoofer wouldn't necessarily be needed for these beauties?
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    ROHfan wrote: »

You take that right. If you haven't owned a pair yet or even heard them, you need to. Will definitely re-adjust your measuring stick going forward.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How do I plan a road trip with work?? Humm I want them, just don't know how to get the time off, I'm in Denver...

14 hr drive..
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    That's how far I just drove for these SDAs. Man up ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    Work is the bigger hold up than anything..
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Do you get a weekend every week? Then you'd only have to request one day off.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    How do I plan a road trip with work?? Humm I want them, just don't know how to get the time off, I'm in Denver...

14 hr drive..

you'll feel very fever'ish come Friday I recommend you take time to make sure you are not sick before you spread it to all at work....they would like you to do that now would they ;)

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ROHfan wrote: »

You take that right. If you haven't owned a pair yet or even heard them, you need to. Will definitely re-adjust your measuring stick going forward.

Ah, come on Tony...you know there isn't a pair of speakers that wouldn't benefit from a top notch sub or bettet yet a pair. Amazing or not throw a sub on those bad boys for some real musical enjoyment.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Are they 2 30" ribbons? I thought the platinum had a single 60" silver and the original non platinum had 2 30" ribbons.

I had a set of original Amazing. One of my favorite speakers
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Are they 2 30" ribbons? I thought the platinum had a single 60" silver and the original non platinum had 2 30" ribbons.

I had a set of original Amazing. One of my favorite speakers

The MkIV Plats had the 60 inch ribbons. These look to be MkII's. My understanding is the MkI's had the square drivers. I am not certain what the difference was between II's and III's.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Texas42
    Options
    These are the originals with two 30" ribbons. They have been stored pretty much since new with very little play.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Thats what I had. Again one of my favorite speakers. They are a bit power / current hungry. Any of the sunfire amps powered them nice.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good luck with the sale.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nice looking pair.....just fyi....these are not Platinums. These were the original Carver Amazing Loudspeaker. The Plats had 1 60" Ribbon each. These also had different woofers. Just as an aside....price is pretty steep...not criticism but it's above market by a good bit.

To paraphrase a legend: A man's speaker to be sure. Cowgirls and receivers need not apply. Multiple 12 inch woofers blowing your hair back is MANLY.

I've owned a pair of these. Loved 'em. The require a serious amp. Serious.

BDT of the Carver Amazing owning BDT's
  • Texas42
    Options
    Actually, these are technically the Platinum Mk I, if you consider the Platinum Mk IVs were the last iteration. I agree they were not called platinums until the Mk II version when they needed to differentiate from the new Silver series model they came out with.

Yes, they are priced as a NOS pair should be considering they have been in storage for 20+ years and are in new condition. The ones you see at what you feel is market value are ones that have been in use for quite some time and no doubt have the wear and tear to prove it.
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    Which makes them all the better price, especially compared to another pair I may or may not have seen on local classifieds, fleBay, Craigslist, Audiogon or some other site for an undisclosed amount which I am apparently forbidden from mentioning because of some possible perceived offense from people other than the seller of the item...must be a Halloween at Yale kinda thing...

Anywho, if I were to come across a pair of these locally I'd snatch them up, seeing as I've got an amp worthy to properly drive them.

Here's hoping they find a good home!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• honestaquarian
    Options
    As I mentioned in another thread,way back in the eighties I came across a pair of these original amazings in an audio salon in Avon,CT. They had them hooked up to a pair of bridged Carver M-1.0T's at 1,000 watts per channel. I popped in Barbra Streisand's Broadway Album CD and played Somehwere and cranked it up.

Drove the amps into clipping!!

These things are SO power hungry that it drove Bob Carver to revamp his entire amplifier lineup and come out with the TFM series of amps. He once said in an interview that while his M series amps DID have the power to drive these things,they didn't have the thermal capacity,hence the change in the amp lineup.
  • BDT
    Options
    If I recall....the manual that came with didn't say Platinum. It said Carver Amazing Loudspeaker...semantics, yeah but still....

Nos? Have you got the boxes? Manual? If the answer is no....NOS is a stretch. Hey, GLWTS but 1750 high. VERY high....I'd just about bet my bottom dollar that for 1750, you will have them for another 20 years.

BDT
  • Dabutcher
    Options
    Why you got to rain on his posting? Peace out.
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Texas42
    Options
    Well, one thing is for sure. I would NOT sell them to you at any price. Perhaps you should troll elsewhere. I think folks here are adult enough to make up their own minds on what they want to buy. Hopefully, we will remain a free market economy long enough for that those conditions to continue to exist.
    BDT wrote: »
    If I recall....the manual that came with didn't say Platinum. It said Carver Amazing Loudspeaker...semantics, yeah but still....

Nos? Have you got the boxes? Manual? If the answer is no....NOS is a stretch. Hey, GLWTS but 1750 high. VERY high....I'd just about bet my bottom dollar that for 1750, you will have them for another 20 years.

BDT

• BDT
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Phew...made that purchase decision a bit easier for me. At least I'll get some sleep this weekend.

Look, they are great speakers. I've owned them...in fact, I have the boxes, manual and packing materials for the ones I had. All I'm saying is that they were not ever referred to as Platinums by Carver. They were sold as The Amazing Loudspeaker...and this I know because I do have the manual, boxes and so forth so I'm just trying to point out something in the interest of being accurate.

I'm also pointing out that sitting in the closet for 20 years without visible blemish doesn't constitute NOS, especially without the boxes, manuals etc...

Price is high. I haven't seen a pair of Plat Mk IV's go that high in years. Originals, like those, if you get a grand for a good pair, you would be lucky.

If that irritates you, no sweat of my nose. Again, GLWTS...but, as someone who is familiar with them, you will need a lot of luck and a dumb buyer. In fact, charging 1750? With friends like that, who needs enemies?
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wow, clipping at 1,000w...Is a Parasound HCA-3500 capable of delivering all these speakers need To perform??

And Kudos to Ken Swagger!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• Texas42
    Options
    $1750 is an asking price. Perhaps someone can explain that to you.

Actually, forgive me. This is pointless and I will certainly expect you to take the last word as I'm sure you won't be able to resist. George Bernard Shaw was quite correct. Never wrestle....

In fact, charging 1750? With friends like that, who needs enemies?
    [/quote]

• BDT
    Options
    With those, there is never really "enough" amp......notorious amp killers.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but BDT (Troy?), I don't care how much rep you used to have on this site, you're out of line. Read the rules.
  • Dabutcher
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My favorite saying is " Count your blessings & mind your business". Peace. GLWYS
This discussion has been closed.