LS90 rehab

Turn out I had a bad driver in each LS90. Replacements have shipped, so starting my rehab project. Plugging in the holes and running "grilless." Going for a matte or textured black finish.
5.2 Main: X3500h, BDP-103, UBP-X800, M70-C3, XPA-3, XPA-2, NHT VT-2, VS-2, Super Zero Xu, PB-1000 x 2

Comments

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Any pics, welcome to the LS family! :)
  • Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Any pics, welcome to the LS family! :)

Here they are in defferent stages. New drivers dont arrive until next Wednesday so no rush...

Probably wrap them up on Tuesday or Wednesday. If it goes well. I may tackle the center channel as well as the vinyl has started to go on that one too...

dua7h8r6bsy1.jpg
    jfe5mukxf9oi.jpg
    sq4ugb0ttpn9.jpg
    5.2 Main: X3500h, BDP-103, UBP-X800, M70-C3, XPA-3, XPA-2, NHT VT-2, VS-2, Super Zero Xu, PB-1000 x 2
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Looking good, keep us posted! ;)
  • I did overlook one teeny, tiny detail....although I know what set of leads goes to what driver, I did not bother to note which is positive and which is negative. If someone can point me in the direction of a diagram I would be in your debt...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited February 2016
    Did you redo the internal wiring? Not needed but with em tore that part why not lol. Also look at doing better bananas...

I'd suggest Audioquest FLX or one of lower tier lines or Furez wire. Just make sure you get the same gauge which I think is 16 gauge which means the pricier line stuff is even cheaper lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    lackboost wrote: »
    I did overlook one teeny, tiny detail....although I know what set of leads goes to what driver, I did not bother to note which is positive and which is negative. If someone can point me in the direction of a diagram I would be in your debt...

I can pull a driver and shoot you a picture if that would help.
  • lackboost wrote: »
    I did overlook one teeny, tiny detail....although I know what set of leads goes to what driver, I did not bother to note which is positive and which is negative. If someone can point me in the direction of a diagram I would be in your debt...

I can pull a driver and shoot you a picture if that would help.

That is most gracious....and I accept! Thank you!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I've never heard a pair of speakers that sound more different with the grills off. I like them much better off.

Can't wait to see the final product!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Running wires back to cross over it appears as follows:

Tweeter - different sized connectors so its cake
    Top two woofers: black lead positive, white lead neg
    2nd from bottom woofer: black positive lead positive, striped lead negative
    Bottom woofer: Striped lead positive (from 2nd from bottom woofer), white lead negative

Bottom two woofer are in series? Does this sound right to any LS 90 peeps?
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Highly recommend updating caps, resistors, dyna-mat baskets and spike them LS90s.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • lackboost wrote: »
    Running wires back to cross over it appears as follows:

Bottom woofer: Striped lead positive (from 2nd from bottom woofer), white lead negative

lackboost wrote: »
    Running wires back to cross over it appears as follows:

Can anyone confirm is this is correct? Just hooked everything back up and I am getting one speaker way louder than the other....
  • Rechecked connections...OK. Put DMM on them and one is showing 3.0 ohm (louder one) and one is 2.4 ohms (one that plays less loud). Seems like somethings up....
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Any final pics of these?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.