Lsi 9's sounded fantastic, but

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    Options
    The only problem with the speakers set a s large, when I go any higher then -10 on the Pioneer SC 25 pre outs into a Carver amp

Your Carver amp could also be the problem in that it cannot control the speakers properly. Which model do you have?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikejl46
    Options
    Carver A-400X stereo amplifier

8-ohm FTC rated power/ch 200 W
    4-ohm FTC rated power/ch 300 W
    Bridged mono power 500 W
    4/8-ohm FTC rated THD <0.01%
    Input Impedance (Line) 47 kohms
    Input Sensitivity 1.4V
    Gain 29dB
    Rated full power bandwidth 20-20kHz
    S/N-IHF A-Weighted,dB >115dB
    Dimensions (HxWxD inches) 4.5x19x15.7 (with handles)

http://www.carversound.com/carver-amplifiers/a-400x/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    I see no reason why the Carver shouldn't handle the 9's easily. These are bookies, not full range speakers, thus can't handle the full range sound especially at higher volumes. Lower volumes maybe, but your going to do damage to them cranking volume at full range settings.

That's why you need to cross them over at around 60- 80, take some of the load off of them and you might get more volume.

How big is this room btw ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    If you like it really loud and want near full range, for around 800.00 new, i would look at Cerwin Vega.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    If you like it really loud and want near full range, for around 800.00 new, i would look at Cerwin Vega.

....do plugs for your ears come with them ? LOL
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    deronb1 wrote: »

....do plugs for your ears come with them ? LOL

Well, duh!.....
  • mikejl46
    mikejl46 Posts: 63
    edited January 2016
    Options
    LOL, Well of course ear plugs came with my old Pioneer speakers, They had no problem going into the 0 + range.

My room is about 15 x 20 with open doorways that go into a 25 x 30 area kitchen dinning area.

I'm gonna try and keep the volume down below -10, The LSI 9's really do sound great though.

Crossed over, set to small, I get volume, but they sound thin.

Even at low volume they sound way way better set to large. Even without the sub, the bass sounds great at all low volumes levels set to large.

I only crank it up on songs that sound good cranked, that would be a small % of the songs I listen to.

I listen to a lot of classic rock, for example The Little River band, Down on the Border, sounds great loud, when the song kicks in about 50 seconds in. If I'm above the -10 at that point 50 seconds into the song, the LSI 9's want to puke out.
    Post edited by mikejl46 on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    Options
    I still wouldn't discount the amp. I once had a similar issue with some bookies bottoming out, changed the amp and the issue went away. I've since changed the amp 3 more times with the same bookies without the issue occuring again. Obvious conclusion, it was the original amp. Besides, it would do you good to hear something other than Carver solid state. You'll thank me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikejl46
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just did a test, I get about 95 db at my seating position at -10 volume, when the, Down on the border song kicks in.

I guess that would be in the danger zone for my ears, but I'm 55 and still can hear fine.

http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml
    regular sustained exposure may cause permanent damage 90-95 dB

power mower 107 dB
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,086
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not full range speakers, but most (me included) find the LSiM703 bookies to be easier to drive and to sound better than the 9's.

Do you happen to be located anywhere near Dallas?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you have a FRY's Electronics near you, look into the Energy RC70 when they go on sale. Sale price is between $199 - $249 per speaker. They're brand new, fairly efficient, and, despite the rated specs, they dig deep while giving a very nice presentation overall. I've been pleasantly surprised by these 3-way floorstanding speakers.

Energy RC70

FWIW, We drove the LSi9 speakers to some seriously LOUD levels at the Chicagoland Polkfast back in '07 and they performed beautifully. They were powered by a Sanders Sound Systems ESL amp in conjunction with a VTL 2.5 preamp, and a stand alone CDP (Raysonic IIRC). No clipping or popping whatsoever and they weren't lacking anything IMHO. @heiney9 was there and should be able to confirm that they played very nicely.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I have to ask if you're artificially boosting the bass or not.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I have to ask if you're artificially boosting the bass or not.

Now that's a question I didn't think of. I pushed mine with a Mcintosh mc402. It is a high wattage and current amp to some good levels without issues. If you want to take the pressure off them, keep them at large but cross the over at 80/100 so it takes the pressure off them.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mikejl46
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think I will redo MCACC, set everything back to default settings.

I'm thinking about picking up one of these new Pioneer receivers. The specs indicate you can use 4 ohm speakers. I haven't seen this with the earlier receivers like the one I have, SC 25. How well do you think the LSI 9's work with this receiver, or will I still need to use the carver amp?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-97
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was going to suggest that you drive the 9s with just the front channels of the current receiver that you have to see if 100dBs is attainable for short bursts without the driver popping issue. This would tell you if the Carver is the problem. You really should be able to attain 95+ dBs without an issue unless the bass is pushed so much that it is throwing the amps into distress. For extended periods like a whole high energy song is a different animal entirely and can tax any system at its edge of power reserves. Running MCACC again is never a bad idea.

9s should handle 60-80hz at those volumes without blinking. My guess is that you have something out of adjustment or spec.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mikejl46
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I picked me up some RTIa7's, form Polk on ebay refurbished, hooked these up to my Pioneer Sc25, with Carver amp. Listened to music for about 10 minutes to some of my favorite music, that I know well, so I will know if they sound equal to or better then the LSI9's. The bass needs for sure to sound great at low volumes like the LSI'9s. NOT.

Thought dang, I have these big heavy suckers I either have to ship back or try to sell locally, I thought the sounded terrible. So I fiddled around with crossover settings and things for a while, still no luck.

Well then, duh remembered I needed to run the MCACC on the Pioneer. Then WOW, They came to life, These RTIa7's are awesome, and not even broke in yet, For me they sound just as good as the LSI's 9 and better. They seem to have more detail, more like there is a live band in your living room. They definitely will have the volume, I inched the volume up there a bit to see, and yep these are gonna crank, I will take it easy for awhile till they break in. I guess this is more what I was looking for in a speaker. RTIa7's rock. Just my opinion.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,625
    Options
    Nice!!

Always good to get your ears on different stuff and figuring out what works for you, in your system.

The RTi A7's are certainly a more forward speaker than the LSi 9's. Glad you're digging them.
  • OldSchoolPolk
    Options
    Well....

If you want loud then look at the new Klipsch RP260 or RP280. LOUD.

Even though they're newly revised tweeters are supposed to be less fatiguing I don't think they can keep up sonically w/ high end Polks they guys are suggesting.

But LOUD, yes.
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • mikejl46
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Nice!!

Always good to get your ears on different stuff and figuring out what works for you, in your system.

The RTi A7's are certainly a more forward speaker than the LSi 9's. Glad you're digging them.

Yes, they did seem a little bright at first, so I went into the pioneer EQ settings turn down the 2 high eq setting down a couple of notches, but then after a few days, the high end seem to disappear some, and felt I need that high end back, so I set it back to flat, and the rtia'7 sound great now. Not sure if the speakers toned down some, or I just got use to it, but they sound great now, The Lsi9's were great and all, sounded like I was listening to my CD's. The Rtia7's sound like I'm listening to a live band in my living room.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    I think that MCACC thing could have been the problem all along.

I think most are assuming you are running the speakers (lsi9) with all tone controls and all automatic sound modifying programs bypassed.

Without bypassing tone controls (manual or automatic) it is very hard to diagnose why something does not seem "right"

I agree the Rti line is voiced to sound a decent bit more forward and sizzly.
    Did you get rid of the Lsi9's?

For high volume loud head banging music, I agree they would not be my first choice, but for well recorded classical, and acoustic music, especially voices, they are more accurate, albeit less impressive at first.
  • mikejl46
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, running MCACC did solve the problem, but still they sounded weak set to small, I just had a heck of a time getting them to mesh with the sub, tried everything, at least I think I did, I'm obviously missing something, because others say they are great with a sub set to small. I even have the velodyne sms-1, so I can see what's going on with phase, crossover and things. but I'm no expert at any of this, so most likely user error.

So now I have the Rti a7's run the MCACC, I have set the Rti a7' set to small, I tried it large with plus sub, and the bass cancels out, less bass, adjusting phase had little effect.

But they sound great set to small, cross over 80. Like going from lsi9's little concert to Big concert levels with the Rti a7 no end to the volume, sound great at all volume levels, bass even sounds great at very low volume levels. Very happy with the Rti a7's

I have the LSI 9's in another room where I listen at low volume levels, and they work great there.
    Post edited by mikejl46 on
  • mikejl46
    Options
    My Rti a7's. I know they all look the same.

nzdxc0qnr1kw.jpg

o4uhl8ge6vuk.jpg

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Very nice Mike. I like the screen!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    Options
    Doesn't matter if we have seen them a million times. Audio p o r n is always good.
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Looks like the left speaker is toed in more than the right? Pull them 2" ahead of the entertainment center and make sure they're toed the same degrees.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    Options
    ^^^^^ You will get a lot of this tho ^^^^^^^ :D
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • mikejl46
    Options
    I built the screen into the top of the entertainment center, so when it's up you would have no clue there was a screen there.

I don't have the speakers toed in at all, but I may try that and see how that sounds.

I picked these speakers up on Ebay Polk site for about $360 per, They are what they call refurbished, they look like brand new, not a scratch on them, wouldn't know the difference.

Yep, Audio p o r n is always good.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Is that screen 96"?
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Is that an SR I'm eying in the corner?
  • mikejl46
    Options
    It's a 92" screen.

I have bass guitar amp sitting on top of my Adire Rava Sub.