Medical care alert systems

My mother just turned 90 and she still lives by herself. She gets around fairly well but have recently notice some things. I've asked her to move with the wife and I but she refuses.

Did some research on these systems and did mot realize there where so many options.
Any opinions and recommendations will be appreciated.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    We got my mom this one, and it helped to save her life with her second to last heart attack. She had a heart attack while sleeping and fell out of bed, her button was right there hanging on the arm of the chair next to the bed. She just had to reach up and push it, and they sent an ambulance over to get her.

http://www.lifealert.com/

The hardest part was nagging mom to keep it on her at all times.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    cfrizz wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we got our dad the same one. Sadly, he won't have anything to do with it.

Unfortunately, no matter how hard we try, our dad won't listen to anyone. This includes doctors.

• My dad was a retired RN and specialized in ignoring his doctors. I got him the life alert and found it worked great when he had it with him.
  • One thing I have always wondered is how do the emergency personnel get into your house when they arrive if you live alone and are not able to open the door.
    My house is guarded 24/7 by Ninja Watch Cats and they are deadly.
  • I want to say I read a keel lock with passcode is or can be furnished for a fee.
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    edited February 2016
    Combination code lock box with key inside. It gets placed on the door or some other easy to find location.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Beta wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we got our dad the same one. Sadly, he won't have anything to do with it.

Unfortunately, no matter how hard we try, our dad won't listen to anyone. This includes doctors.

I like him already.....the man knows. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    tonyb wrote: »
    Beta wrote: »

I like him already.....the man knows. ;)

Cranky old phart, know it all.
  • lightman1
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    lightman1 wrote: »
    n19mqbl2wzmj.jpg
    Tonyb....today.

Looks a bit like George Daniel, no offense...
  • lightman1
    lightman1 wrote: »
    n19mqbl2wzmj.jpg
    Tonyb....today.

Looks a bit like George Daniel, no offense...

It does a bit. :D
  • tonyb
    Ha....I'm not THAT old yet. Hopefully George isn't either. Is this pick on Tony Wednesday or what ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    nbrowser wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ha....I'm not THAT old yet. Hopefully George isn't either. Is this pick on Tony Wednesday or what ? :)

Depends, lock yourself out of the house in your robe lately? :smiley:

He don't need no stinkin' robe...
  • jvc
    jvc Posts: 41
    90 years young. good jeans ....
  • tonyb
    edited February 2016
    It really is a serious dilemma gents. Older folks who need to be watched and families who can't afford retirement homes or personal care givers. Those first alert things are nice and affordable for the older folks living on their own. I know there's a few other companies who do similar services but their names escape me.....mainly because I'm old and forgetful. :) If that older family member has a friend or neighbor you can trust, throw them a few bucks every month to check on them daily. Sometimes the older folks brain gives out before their body and they simply can't be left alone at all. Even if they live with you, who watches them while everyone is at work or school ?

My kids have a do not alert system for me. Do not resuscitate, do not find, do not give any medicine or change bed pans. Think they have a Stay order against every ambulance service within a 50 mile radius of me too.

Why do you think most kids tell ya to "move to Florida" when you get older ? That way when your only half dead they can float you in the swamp and let the gators take care of the rest. No medical fees, no burial.....and all your stuff is on craigslist the next day.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Always make sure to involve the kids during the time you are making out a will, or much, much better a trust.

Be sure they all know that you are making sure that every penny goes either your cat, or unfortunate exotic dancers that will miss you very long time.