Pioneer Elite SC-99

2»

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Interesting comment given @mantis is using some...

RCA caps such as these INCREASE airborne RFI collection due to the sharp metal 360 degree edge which attracts RF like a magnet out of the airwaves. Total RF into the RCA jack is INCREASED. No wonder audiophiles never liked these.

IMG_3817.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    If you REALLY want to find out about what EMI/RFI does to your system talk to the guys at the upgrade company.
    I wasn't so sure about it until they upgraded my preamp.HUGE difference in the sound!!!
    Before and after pics included.What I cannot include is the unbelievable difference in the sound of my system.
    https://upgradecompany.com/pia7lq8k8omo.jpg
    oq9c99l3xwv6.jpg

Why are those wires glued to the transformer?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    That appears to be nothing more than woven EMI tape.

http://emitape.co.kr/04_cf/sub2.html
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• And if you expand the pics you will see the blue paint all over everything as well.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Likely EMI paint. The tape and paint can be purchased easily for minimal cost. That and perhaps an hour or two of time. Another method would be to apply RF/EMI shield sheets to the lid and other bare metal parts inside the enclosure. Dynamat Xtreme with it's foil layer offers some RF/EMI shielding in addition to it's superior damping capability.

I'm not saying what he does isn't a good idea, it is. My issue is the price charged for the work is ridiculous.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Interesting comment given @mantis is using some...

RCA caps such as these INCREASE airborne RFI collection due to the sharp metal 360 degree edge which attracts RF like a magnet out of the airwaves. Total RF into the RCA jack is INCREASED. No wonder audiophiles never liked these.

IMG_3817.jpg
    Where did you get this info? RF caps have been used in the commercial world forever and cable and DSS companies use them just as long in the Coax side to stop leakage.
    I don't see how putting caps on RCA jacks can do any harm to the system. If they don't do anything , they do at least keep the unused RCA jacks clean.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    F1nut wrote: »
    That appears to be nothing more than woven EMI tape.

http://emitape.co.kr/04_cf/sub2.html

I'm wondering if that would be worth the time to install? Pioneer Isolates things inside their higher end model to stop any unwanted interference that is typical of A/V receivers .
    Dan
  • @mantis
    @kennethswauger the forum administrator separated all of my comments out into a new thread that he created about the Upgrade Company
  • mantis
    Thats probably why this discussion didn't make much sense to me. You started to talk about it then then nothing. I'll have to follow the links to go read it.
    Dan
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Are you still loving the SC-99?? I have been on the fence over here..
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    v9kcqolr6ctg.gif
    Larry takes one to the boys. Fences take no prisoners.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2016
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    I am glad this thread was resurrected. It helped me find the TUC thread from January. Best read of the day for sure.
  • mantis
    It's awesome my friend. The Pioneer Elite SC models are superior in every way to everything in it's price class.
    I have the ability to buy anything I want as I'm in the industry. I choose the SC flagship models due to the Performance, sound quality, ease of use, total control integration with control systems, flawless with no failures unlike many other brands which fail constantly, the ability to drive hard loads with ease. Feature set is great.
    Huge advantage if you do computer High Rez music as it has a built in USB DAC with when the SC-68 came out it was the first of it's kind. The SC-99 has Sabre DAC's that just sound incredible.
    MCACC is also Superior to all other AUTO calibration units in it's price class. Nothing does a better job not even ARC from Anthem.
    Yeah I'd say I'm totally loving it.

Feel Free to ask me anything about it.
    Dan