Monitor 5A

Options
2»

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Maybe i misread. I thought the seller dropped it &/or it doesnt take alot to shift a magnet on a speaker of that age. They really should be Loctite'd & shipped on their backs. It only takes a frost heave to shift one..... They can be repaired-i guess its quite the process IF it works. Easier to replace
    Randy/Maine
  • solarrdadd
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Maybe i misread. I thought the seller dropped it &/or it doesnt take alot to shift a magnet on a speaker of that age. They really should be Loctite'd & shipped on their backs. It only takes a frost heave to shift one..... They can be repaired-i guess its quite the process IF it works. Easier to replace

no, I was saying there was a mw6503 on ebay listed and that seller said he dropped it and there was a tear in the paper of the driver. that had nothing to do with my speaker. sorry if I didn't make it clear.

I'm calling polk on Tuesday. thanks for your help buddy!
    55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P Rear Projection
    PS3 & XBOX 360, iPhone 6+ @ 128gb & iPad 4 @ 64gb, appletv hdmi,
    Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A35, Oppo 105D & 93 Blu-ray, Philips BDP7501 UHD Player
    APC UPS w/AVR & APC Surge Suppressor
    Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp, NR1607 receiver
    Vintage Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters, Axiom speakers, Pro-Ject Debut TT, Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-700,
    UPA-2, UPA-200 amps, XREF 12 DSP Sub, Ultra Sub 12
    NY GIANTS!
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    A lot of companies are open Monday, we are. If you get in Monday you could get it by Friday for sure.

I have not had a bad seller on Ebay.
    I am just saying they just don't test and they miss the fine details.
    Like the headphones, she didn't know one side didn't work she refunded.
    $9 +$9 for return.
    I sent them to Koss and they completely redid the entire unit new drivers wiring ear cushions everything what a fine company they are!

solarrdadd wrote: »
    Yes. Ive ordered from Polk with great results. Usually 5-7 days where im at. Ive also been pretty lucky buying Polk woofers of the bay. Knock on the wood...... Ive never emailed Polk & Ive heard some say they may have had to wait for response. Ive called-ordered-received with great experience. Great bunch of people there

i'll be giving them a call Tuesday, Monday is a holiday.

POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • solarrdadd
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    A lot of companies are open Monday, we are. If you get in Monday you could get it by Friday for sure.

I have not had a bad seller on Ebay.
    I am just saying they just don't test and they miss the fine details.
    Like the headphones, she didn't know one side didn't work she refunded.
    $9 +$9 for return.
    I sent them to Koss and they completely redid the entire unit new drivers wiring ear cushions everything what a fine company they are!

solarrdadd wrote: »
    Yes. Ive ordered from Polk with great results. Usually 5-7 days where im at. Ive also been pretty lucky buying Polk woofers of the bay. Knock on the wood...... Ive never emailed Polk & Ive heard some say they may have had to wait for response. Ive called-ordered-received with great experience. Great bunch of people there

i'll be giving them a call Tuesday, Monday is a holiday.

I agree, I have not had a bad seller on ebay either. however, I also don't think most sellers know about using locktite or epoxy on the MW series woofers before shipping them. most don't know about the shifting of the magnets that sometimes occurs. I don't fault them for that. hell, I didn't know about it until I did some reading and opened mine up. also, it doesn't always happen (the shifting) I had a pair of monitor 10A's shipped to me from Seattle to Virginia, all 4 drivers in tact working beautifully. the monitor 5A's, shipped to me from IA, one woofer frozen. the seller assured me he tested the speakers to a receiver and listened to them himself and they sounded fine and again, I believe him. he was willing to give me a small refund and I was cool with that.

I have found a seller that has a brand new, direct from polk, never used, in the original box MW6503 woofer and I've been told here at this site that the 6503 is a suitable replacement for the 6500 for my 5A. this seller knows about the magnet shifting and shows that it has beads of epoxy around several places to prevent shifting of the magnets. so, this guy is aware of the issue. also, his price is lower than polks price even with my discount according to a user on this site. i'll wait until I hear from polk as to the replacement model and the price with member discount and i'll go with which ever is the lowest including s&h.

i'll keep you posted buddy.
    Vintage Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters, Axiom speakers, Pro-Ject Debut TT, Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-700,
    NY GIANTS!
  • solarrdadd
    Options
    for anyone interested, here is the insides of the mw6500 driver:

below shows the actual magnet which is that black circular part on the very top the stuff on it was where the glue was that failed and allowed the magnet and the core to move around freezing the driver
    gtazl9bdq3pz.jpg

below is the core (the silver thing) it goes through the magnet and fits into the movable copper wound body that will move back and forth as the field is increased or decreased thus moving the cone.
    2me7ihzh3nzq.jpg

below is the movable cone coil section that is pulled back and forth moving the cone and moving air. the cone is currently in the pulled in/back position
    cc46nvm2hxxu.jpg

below, the movable cone coil is in the pushed out/forward position
    okpud2skkox5.jpg

keep in mind that some of the "names" I have called things may not be the proper technical nomenclature, but, with the help of the pictures, I think you will all get what I'm talking about, I hope!

until receiving a pair of speakers with one drive that was "frozen" I had never heard of this issue with the MWxxx driver line because all of mine worked. I'm going to buy a new driver as nothing I did could get the driver to work properly again as I could never get the line up right and I tried for quite a long time too!

I will get a pant load of locktite and secure all the drivers in my SDA-2's, 10A's, 5A's and 5Jr+'s too! so far, 1 out of 15 drivers ain't bad!
    NY GIANTS!
  • solarrdadd
    Options
    polk was open today and they told me that the proper replacement for my 5A's 6500 is not the 6503, they said it's the 6502 and they had plenty of stock. they said since I'm a member, my price would be $48.00 plus tax with free shipping for being a member. I'm thinking about going with them as I'm sure they have epoxied the magnets in place and/or it's a new driver and that won't be an issue as well as I'm sure they pack them super well for shipping. of course, I did find a guy selling on ebay that has a 6502 $10 bucks cheaper (shipping included in that price) than polk and it's tempting I'm worried about the shifting protection (regluing) and packing it. what do you guys recommend? if it makes any difference, the ebay guy is about 12hrs from me while polk is on the west coast shipping wise, would that make a difference with you guys on the purchase.

thanks to everyone who responds.
    NY GIANTS!
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    Go with the new one. The price difference is not worth it. I went through that once already with my Polks.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • boston1450
    Options
    If you can get a 3.00 tube of LocTite PowerGrab @ WallyWorld it would be the best 3 bucks spent. The new ones are probably NOT done. 1 tube will go a long way. Ive done over 30+ of them & i have stock in LocTite. Stuff is good for projects
    Randy/Maine
  • solarrdadd
    Options
    well, thanks to everyone about the replacement driver suggestions. however, I went with a used one on ebay and i'll tell you why. I never planned to use these speakers as a "pair", I am using only one of them as a center channel between a pair of Monitor 10A to complete my front 3 of a 5.1 system in my bedroom. the other 5A, is just a spare and will be in storage. so, I found one for $27 + shipping and i'll have it tomorrow. it may sit in storage for a long time, so, it's a good deal as far as I'm concerned. I'd only use it if something happens to the one in use and I need a spare while trying to figure it out.

it will be here tomorrow (just in time to, we are expecting a blizzard on Friday with 2' of snow or more into late Saturday night. so, i'll test it over the weekend and get back to you guys. I've got a good feeling about the driver! :) I've also got a bad feeling about the blizzard starting Friday! :s
    NY GIANTS!
  • boston1450
    Options
    cool. Ive bought of the bay with great results also. The only time ive ever had 1 issue was when they were shipped in the cabinets. I always ask questions about the woofer condition & how they pack it. It shows the seller-the buyer is concerned. Great results... Think Spring :)
    Randy/Maine
  • solarrdadd
    Options
    cool. Ive bought of the bay with great results also. The only time ive ever had 1 issue was when they were shipped in the cabinets. I always ask questions about the woofer condition & how they pack it. It shows the seller-the buyer is concerned. Great results... Think Spring :)

hey, are you up north east? are you going to be catching some of this huge storm this weekend?
    NY GIANTS!
  • boston1450
    Options
    On the coast of Maine. Heard something was coming. I invite/love the cold weather. All set with snow. Havent been on a set of ski's in over 30+ years
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Nope. 30's coming up. Bike weather :)
    Randy/Maine
  • solarrdadd
    Options
    Nope. 30's coming up. Bike weather :)

:o:D
    NY GIANTS!
  • solarrdadd
    Options
    I did finally get to install the replacement driver I purchased from ebay for the frozen one in one of the 5A's. I received it Tuesday last week, just after the blizzard we had over the weekend; 2'+ of snow, in some areas 3' :s installed the driver, works perfectly. the shipper packed it very well. I'm very happy, now I have a spare as the other 5A is used as a center channel between a pair of Monitor 10A in my bedroom 5.1 system.
    NY GIANTS!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Glad you're enjoying everything. Happy listening.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk