Finally found them. Polk Monitor 7s

Options
deucekazoo
deucekazoo Posts: 146
edited January 2016 in Vintage Speakers
I have been looking for them for a while, finally found a local guy that had a pair. They are in really nice shape. No beat up corners, hardly any scratches, even on the bottoms. I do have to redo the grills. Previous owner pulled the old cloth off but still had the frames and the logos. I will be playing them for a while before I do any mods but I already speced out the new X-over parts. I think its funny the new parts will be double of what I paid for the speakers. Once I redo the X-overs I will also glue the magnets and do the other upgrades.
They sound really good. I believe they are the C versions. They don't have a fuse on the back terminal cup. The soundstage is huge with these guys. I think these are a perfect fit to my size room.
96kgdfbhu67b.jpg
Polk S10, S8, S4
Polk RT8
Polk Monitor 7s
Working on getting SDAs

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the the 7s, now sit back and:

Hal-9000: What is going to happen?
    Dave Bowman: SOMETHING WONDERFUL! [2010]

Enjoy!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Jealous B)
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,505
    Options
    Id be interested in you impressions of those 7's VS the S series you have. Ive got the 7's & ive owned the S6 & 8's which i really enjoyed. Very nice speakers BTW. Ive never heard the 10's but always wondered. Congrats on your find
  • zappafan2
    Options
    Awesome glad you got a pair, I love mine and my 5jrs. Mine sound really good, I did just replace the tweeters and someday the xovers will come. These speakers just have the sound for me , just got a recapped Sansui AU-717 and these babies are singing.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I have original M7s from '78. Mine have the Peerless tweeters which are very smooth soundingvv3mowvuhrdx.jpg
    . I also threw cash into them by doing the x-overs by Dave and sound fantastic. Single outboard fuse holders.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    I don't think I will be replacing the tweeters on these. I listen to them and they don't sound bright to me at all. It could be placement or it could be the amp I am using. I will do the x-overs first and see how everything sounds after that. Then if I feel like experimenting I will try the replacement tweeters and see what I prefer. I think the tweeters in these are the SL2500, well that is what the schematic shows.
    Boston1450,
    When I get some time I will A/B these with the S8s and the S10s. The S10s might have an advantage because they do have new X-overs in them. Should be a fun experiment.
    John
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    The tweeters in your photo are the SL2000. I did not find them to be horrible in my SDA'S but did hear improvement switching to the replacements from Polk. Nice score. My Monitor 7's series II have been in primary use since they got here.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    I have been looking for them for a while, finally found a local guy that had a pair.

That's what she said! :p

Definitely 7Cs with SL2000s. Nice score, they appear to be in great shape.

Get them on some nice stands that have the slight back tilt and you're set.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As your ears get "older" it becomes FAR more difficult to hear that bump in the SL-2000. Then, eventually you can't even hear your wife's voice...lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Congrats, full lil fellas they are...
  • chandler9a
    Options
    Congrats on the 7s, they seem to be an awesome set. keep us posted on the crossover project, I have a pair of Monitor 7 series II and want to upgrade them as well. I'll be pairing them with a Pioneer SX838 that needs a little TLC from a technician,

Happy Listening!
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »

That never gets old. LOL

I will keep you guys posted. It will be a while before I get to the x-over upgrade. Just want to enjoy them for what they are.
    I might try to open them up this weekend and check on the x-overs to make sure they match the schematic and see what the drivers are.
    I might also throw some tube amps on them and see what they sound like. The tube amps are low wattage so we will see if they can drive them.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Congrats on the find.
  • Hofy
    Hofy Posts: 169
    Options
    Nice find deuce! I am still looking for a pair just like that locally.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    I have a Yaqin MS-38SE on my 1C's now, it's plenty loud.

deucekazoo wrote: »
    teekay0007 wrote: »

That never gets old. LOL

I will keep you guys posted. It will be a while before I get to the x-over upgrade. Just want to enjoy them for what they are.
    I might try to open them up this weekend and check on the x-overs to make sure they match the schematic and see what the drivers are.
    I might also throw some tube amps on them and see what they sound like. The tube amps are low wattage so we will see if they can drive them.

POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,576
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Id be interested in you impressions of those 7's VS the S series you have. Ive got the 7's & ive owned the S6 & 8's which i really enjoyed. Very nice speakers BTW. Ive never heard the 10's but always wondered. Congrats on your find

I picked up a pair of mint 7B's (Peerless tweets) late last summer for $50 locally. Comparing them with S10's....no comparison. For small parties use the S10's. Otherwise the 7's stomp them for musicality and accuracy.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • scootr
    scootr Posts: 22
    Options
    Picked up a pair for the same price, took them to sisters place and hooked them up. Her JBL's were given to me, but we just carried them down to the basement for storage. She loves her 7's, I wanted hook her up with SDA's. But you know Women, they have their priorities all screwed up!
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    So finally had a chance to open up the M7s. From the x-over these should be the Polk M7Bs. No fuse and polly switch added. The resistor changed from 2.7 to 2.0.

zg6zbkjv1y7t.jpg

A quick question, is the polly switch the little blue thing above the 2 ohm resistor?
    Do I want to get rid of it, and if yes, do I switch the resistor to 2.7 ohms?

Thanks guys.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Yes to both
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    Thanks westmassguy. One more, to get the 34 mfd cap I would have to combine two in parallel. Can I get away with a 33 mfd cap? I would not think it be that much of a difference in the frequency cut off but wanted to confirm first. Let me know your opinions. I want to replace the caps with Clarity Caps.
    Thanks.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • westmassguy
    Options
    If you're using Clarity PX, parallel a 15uf and 18uf. If you're going ESA, use the 33uf. Both are within 3% of the required 34uf.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • deucekazoo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I will be using the Clarity ESA caps.
    So one 33 mfd or two in parallel of 22 mfd and 12 mfd to get 34 mfd.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • westmassguy
    Options
    You want the caps as close in value as possible, when paralleling them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    I kind of figured that. 22 and 12 are the closest together out of that line to get 34 so I guess I will go with the 33mfd. Thanks for the help.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    Had time to redo the x-overs. I oriented mine a little different to get everything to fit. Everything works and they sound great. One thing that really stood out is the bass. Not sure what helped that but the bass is nice and deep now. More than that little speaker should be putting out.
    So the basics were done, sealed the cabinet, glued the magnets, Dynamatted the driver and PR, added hurricane nuts, used all 8 holes on the PR, new caps and resistor. I have been letting them run all weekend. I know that someone will mention the tweeter, but I will keep it stock for now. I will upgrade to the 194 when I feel like modifying them again. Very happy about the results.

p4uq3cds2ku1.jpg

wamo09ollhf6.jpg

Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • deucekazoo
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yesterday I hooked them up to my Decware CS amps. They are a 2 watt tube amp. I wanted to see if 2 watts would be enough. Well just to say it was plenty. I had the pre-amp volume knob set at 9 o'clock and the volume was pretty loud in my room (11X13). They sounded real good. Well I will keep on putting hours on them to get the new components settled.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Spring for the RDO-194 replacement tweeters. They are an all around better tweeter than the sl2000. Trust me, just do it. You've already spent $$ on the x-over's, don't half - donkey it by keeping the stock sl2000's.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!