Oppo 103

Has anyone used this to play FLAC files from an external hard drive? If so, does it have an interface that i can control with a smart phone. Browsing files, cue, etc.

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Yes and Yes, but the interface is kind of clunky. I guess it also depends on how you arrange the files on the drive.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Hmmm. Well i have no interface with my Marantz NA7004. Over 4000 CDs on the drive thanks to THJ. Takes along time to navigate even using the search options.
  • I use my BDP-103 to stream from my network back up hard drive.It's a 3 terabyte Western Digital. You can stream with DLNA and SMB (*that is the second set of options on the screen below the DLNA options for the computer and the hard drive*) You can access the SMB (*Serial Messenger Block*) options by simply logging in the same way you do with your computer and back up hard drive.Use the name and password that you use to log into them and you're in!
    Windows supports SMB,but Apple hasn't for years.
    You can stream DSD over the SMB and when using the SMB to stream FLAC or WAV files, the Oppo will display album art using Gracenote.
  • deronb1
    Cool. I dont use my computer. All the music is on an external hard drive. I also dont want to have my TV on when listening to music. Just looking for something with a good DAC and i can control and access playlist with my phone.
  • You can do that with the Oppo app. @afterburnt is right it IS kinda clunky though.
    Is the hard drive a network drive hooked up to your network with ehernet.Or is it a USB hard drive?
  • afterburnt
    deronb1 sorry I thought you meant on the TV screen. Oppo does not display the files on your phone it is just a remote. The Yamaha app that I use does that, no TV needed.
  • Actualy the Oppo app does on Android phones.I don't know about iOS though.
  • afterburnt
    edited January 2016
    Actualy the Oppo app does on Android phones.I don't know about iOS though.

It does on the device screen? Tell me how
  • The remote app doesn't do it. You have to have the media Control app.
  • deronb1
    Just a stand alone hard drive hooked up via usb.
  • deronb1 wrote: »

Okay
    The app may not work with that. I've never used it with a USB hard drive,so I don't really know.
  • deronb1
    Aight, thanks.
  • deronb1
    I may just suck it up and get a SM 6. I know that will work.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    The Pioneer N50 would do everything you're asking about and it has a 2.5" screen built into the unit itself, aside from the iOS and Android app. Just something to look into.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    deronb1 wrote: »

Okay
    The app may not work with that. I've never used it with a USB hard drive,so I don't really know.

Just to be clear that app works on my oppo103d with a portable hdd hooked up to the usb port.
  • deronb1
    Nightfall wrote: »
    The Pioneer N50 would do everything you're asking about and it has a 2.5" screen built into the unit itself, aside from the iOS and Android app. Just something to look into.

I bought an N50 around a year ago. Couldnt get it to read my hard drive. Returned it and got the Marantz NA 7004. Works great, but want something that i can control and find songs easily on my phone. I have a wireless adapter on the way and from what ive been reading, there have been some new apps come out, so ill try that for now. Love the Marantz. It sounds great. Using it as a DAC as well with my CD player. Very noticable improvement.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The Oppo Media control app does display the music on your mobile device from a USB drive connected directly to the Oppo.

The interface is like the very early Sonos app in that it isn't very refined but as more and more users continue to use it, it should get developed into a better product.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • deronb1
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    The Oppo Media control app does display the music on your mobile device from a USB drive connected directly to the Oppo.

The interface is like the very early Sonos app in that it isn't very refined but as more and more users continue to use it, it should get developed into a better product.

Good to know thanks. Gonna see if Marantz has developed anything for the NA 7004 as well. All i want to really do is scroll through songs on my phone. Love the Marantz in every way, cept not being able to do that.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I've discovered some really nice things about the Oppo BDP 103. It plays every music file I can throw at it, reads my external HD (via ethernet) which is through my networked desktop PC with Logitech Squeezebox server software, and can easily play anything through its USB ports, including movie files. The app for the iPhone does what it's supposed to do, and was a free download. So far I haven't found one thing I don't like about this thing, or the company that makes it.

Oh yeah, it does an OK job with Blurays too ;)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • polrbehr wrote: »
    I've discovered some really nice things about the Oppo BDP 103. It plays every music file I can throw at it, reads my external HD (via ethernet) which is through my networked desktop PC with Logitech Squeezebox server software, and can easily play anything through its USB ports, including movie files. The app for the iPhone does what it's supposed to do, and was a free download. So far I haven't found one thing I don't like about this thing, or the company that makes it.

Oh yeah, it does an OK job with Blurays too ;)

@polrbehr
    I agree with you100% about the Oppo. My Playstaion 3 slim is a streaming beast,but every single format that it WON'T play,the Oppo WILL. Did I mention that it can stream DSD (*Direct Stream Digital*) over your network via SMB??
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2016
    I run my Oppo 103 with an ext usb hard drive full of flacs.; the app works just fine, though does NOT work with iphone 4--you need iphone 5 or above; also works on all ipads. The nice thing about the WD hard drives is that they turn off automatically when you power down the Oppo.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • deronb1
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I run my Oppo 103 with an ext usb hard drive full of flacs.; the app works just fine, though does NOT work with iphone 4--you need iphone 5 or above; also works on all ipads. The nice thing about the WD hard drives is that they turn off automatically when you power down the Oppo.

That IS a nice feature. Does it have an Android app?
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2016
    Check the Oppo site, but I'm 99% certain there is an android app. I have an iphone4, so I use the app on my wifes Ipad mini.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • deronb1
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Check the Oppo site, but I'm 99% certain there is an android app. I have an iphone4, so I use the app on my wifes Ipad mini.

Will do
  • @deronb1
    Look at one of my earlier posts above. I posted the link to the Oppo support page for the 103 tjat has both the Android and iOS apps.
  • deronb1
  • steveinaz
    You want the "Media Control" app.
  • steveinaz