Polk RTA 12a's or SDA CRS ?

Options
Newbie here on this forum . I wont to buy a pair of really nice Polks with really punch deep bass and sweet mids and highs . I have an opportunity to buy either a pair of RTA 12's or SDA CRS speakers with the umbilical cord in tack. I auditioned both but without doing some really long critical listening am having a tough time. I notice that of course the RTAS had really low bottom end bass and the SDA CRS seemed to have a little punchier with the ten inch passive radiator . I have a Marantz 2325 and a room size of 10 by12 . Please help as I have to make a pretty quick decision before 1 or both pair are bought off craigslist . Both pairs are selling local for 450. I thank you to all you Polkies out there for helping me.

Best Answers

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have SDA 2Bs and CRS+. Both are great speakers. For a 10x12 room I would choose the CRS if they are the single tweeter design. They are about 1/3 the size of the 2Bs making them more practical for a small room.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Those can also be upgraded to TL's. You'll find fans of both so it's hard to say. $300 2B's or $475 CRS though, I know I'd take the 2B's and use the extra $200 towards upgrading them to TL's.

^ THIS ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Answer ✓
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Those can also be upgraded to TL's. You'll find fans of both so it's hard to say. $300 2B's or $475 CRS though, I know I'd take the 2B's and use the extra $200 towards upgrading them to TL's.

^ THIS ^
    At that difference in price I agree 100%.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I know , im a real pain in the ass with this thread ,lol. Im sorry but just wanted to ask if anyone knows if the RTA12a b or c's can be differentiated by the white serial number sticker on the backs of the speakers on the speaker input area. Thanks very much !
    Like most Polk speakers there was changes made on the fly and notorious for not labeling correctly sometimes there was a sticker to denote differences other times not. The only sure way is to pull drivers and hope previous owners never blew a driver and just grabbed another from another Polk speaker that may not belong in that speaker. Pull drivers make note of the mw number and where it is in the speaker then either compare to old Polk archives or come back and let us know. Some older Polk speakers where left and right and you may or may not see that on the back of the speaker.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,385
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Agree with nightfall 275 on any RTA series, however nothing less than b's. C's however are the prize. But at those prices I'd pass just on principles. I've had all above mentioned except the CRS'S ( have always wanted to try them) but 300 is end of the world for minty pair inho. He'll for 480. I'd sell my RTA 12c's ( full monty on mods) or maybe not. The only issue is it would be hard to beat the RTA12c's for 480.00 as I've not" heard" a pair of speakers under 1000 That can beat them. I'm sure they are out there, I just haven't had "my" ears on them!
  • Frzninvt
    Frzninvt Posts: 15
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Are there any major differences between the RTA-12B & RTA-12C? It looks like they removed the fuse from the crossover network and replaced it with a tweeter protecting diode. Did the driver complement change? What makes the C more desireable than the B? Sorry to hijack the thread but there was alot of conversation on the RTA12's and the merits of the latter models.

Answers