HSU Bookies

Options
deronb1
deronb1 Posts: 5,021
Been thinking of picking up a pair of the horn loaded bookshelf speakers. Very good reviews and not a lot of coin. Anyone heard them?

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Nah I hate horn tweeters, buy my Fluance bookies you won't regret it :# .

All jokes aside, the HSU look to be an excellent speaker, getting great reviews. I almost pulled the trigger on them before I decided on the Fluance.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • deronb1
    Options
    I was tempted with the Fluance. Great price. Looking at a little bigger bookie tho. Thought i was done for awhile, but got new countertops and cooktop so im good with the wifey :) Want to check out horn loaded, either HSU or Klipsch.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Ive looked at both of those. Im not looking to replace my B&Ws, but am curious to the horn loaded drivers. Second system in a pool room.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I have been enjoying the hell out of these. These bookies dig quite deep for there size.
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15476-wharfedale-diamond-101-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Ive looked at both of those. Im not looking to replace my B&Ws, but am curious to the horn loaded drivers. Second system in a pool room.

Are there any vintage Klipsch bookies or just new ones?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • deronb1
    Options
    Not ruling out anything. RB series or older.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Something like this? I wouldn't mind hearing them either.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/5357907668.html

01717_klavvtWVqhv_600x450.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have the HSU HB-1's. I like them. I was concerned about the horns as well, but they're actually pretty smooth. You can even coax some bottom end out of them if you push the bass knob, but I don't do that anymore as I've grown into running with zeroed tone controls. They're best with a sub, just as HSU recommends, and they mesh nicely with a decent quality sub. For the space I'm using them, I use one of HSU's older entry models, the STF-2 and am pleased with them in the system.

I will say that I was disappointed at first that they weren't weightier. I thought they seemed a bit cheap at first, but once I got them settled in, I didn't care how heavy they were.
    I disabled signatures.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Thanks. Good to know. Many swear by horns, many dont. Just wanna hear cor myself.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Those older Klipsch might be the ticket as well.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    I had to check these out again for music because it's been a long time since I've used them for that, so I moved them into my spare room this morning, where I test stuff, and connected them to a little tube integrated, and played through a bunch of different music.

So they're somewhat efficient, at 92dB and 8Ω, and rated down to 60Hz, which isn't very low. JM says his Wharfedales get relatively deep for their size. I can't really say the same for the HB's.

My test set is a bunch of different kinds of music. Some rock, some indie, some electronic, some chick-singery stuff. Any bass heavy recordings, like the electronic stuff does okay, but just okay. One of my test tracks, The Spiritualized's "Sway (edit)", has a really sweet transition at about 2:45 where some nice low bass comes in a little after. This is a good test piece, because I've noticed that not all configurations can play it. Or if they can, that bass section may not have the presence or impact that it can, and when it does play properly, it's a beautiful thing. The HB's can't do it without tone control. With tone zeroed, it's there, but barely audible, and maybe a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10 for impact/presence. That's not to say they can't make bass at all - they do - it's just not as full or complete as I'd be looking for if I weren't using a sub.

Further, while I won't go as far as to call them bright, per se, they are fairly detailed, probably more so than I've grown accustomed to with other speakers since I got them. My reference for bright is the RTi10. That speaker is unlistenable for me. The HB's aren't that bad, and I like them a lot for how I use them. For where I am now, though, I will say if I were to use them for music, I'd probably have to see if I'd get used to them again, because it's been over a year since I've really used them for that. I really only use them for tv these days, preferring 703's or Monitor 10's for music at this point.

Placement does seem more critical with them, which, iirc, is typical for horns?
    Anyway, just some more info for your consideration.

And the product info for anyone else interested.
    ry4rviqvuamj.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Great info, thanks. I am used to a more forward speaker with the CDM 1nt. The low end doesnt concern me as much as clear mids and detailed highs. Whatever i end up getting will be paired with a small sub.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Deron there is a thread Marv started but I will say that underwood hifi has Anthony Gallo cl2 for $369 a pair on close out. I honestly think you cant do better than those for the money. It seems like your lookin for something differrent and they are exactly that. The tweeter has so much detail and range its a true high end speaker being given away. I sold my Klipsch and replaced them with those with no regrets.

I should have added that he does a package with the matching subs that are also on close out but never heard those.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Deron there is a thread Marv started but I will say that underwood hifi has Anthony Gallo cl2 for $369 a pair on close out. I honestly think you cant do better than those for the money. It seems like your lookin for something differrent and they are exactly that. The tweeter has so much detail and range its a true high end speaker being given away. I sold my Klipsch and replaced them with those with no regrets.

I should have added that he does a package with the matching subs that are also on close out but never heard those.

Thanks PFB. Will check em out.