Grills on or off? poll sort of

Options
2»

Comments

• seabeerob213
    Options
    08oim79uabgh.jpg
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    I would like to keep them off buy the bloody cat might scratch them and then me and the cat will have a problem and she will lose. But then me and the wife will have a problem and I will lose so I keep the grills on no problems....

Cheers, Roger

As a side note I like the dogs so much better the cat!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I just noticed that one of the grills fell off while I was at work today. No music no earthquakes, just fell off. What a bad design.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I noticed something about these grills, they are so heavy that they bend when the hit the floor and so the bottom edge has less of a purchase on the emblem, which is about the only thing that really holds them up. I would quit griping but I am not listening to them until my new cables arrive. Until then I am just looking at them :neutral:
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    @afterburnt I have the 705. There is a difference on sound with the grill on and off. I imagine with the 707 it would be the same thing. When I have kids around, I put them on and they have not fallen off.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I noticed something about these grills, they are so heavy that they bend when the hit the floor and so the bottom edge has less of a purchase on the emblem, which is about the only thing that really holds them up. I would quit griping but I am not listening to them until my new cables arrive. Until then I am just looking at them :neutral:

When I got mine, the grills fell of by themselves. The grills had a slight bow to them. I bent them a bit so they stay on the emblem better. I haven't had a problem with them falling off since. I agree though, A terrible design. One of my svs ultras has a magnetic grill that could take a bomb blast. It doesn't fall off. You have to really rip on it to get it off. My focals also have magnetic grills, they are super light and stay on nice and tight.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Options
    I have the 705's, 704 and 703's - never had a problem - maybe it's only the big boys...
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with the grills falling off, but they seem like they not on very secure. If I didnt have little ones in the house, I would go with grills off.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5