1st Quality Preamp

In honor of the new Belles 21a preamp that has joined my main system I am wondering what others experiences have been when they first heard a quality preamp in their system or elsewhere. For me it has open up the listening experience with a depth and clarity I have not heard before. Thanks to all (Marvin especially) for taking my 2 channel experience to the next level...I believe I have satisfied my upgraditis for now and am ready to start listening to the music again.
Polk SDA 1C Upgraded, Eastern Electric Minimax Supreme DAC, Parasound HCA 1200ii, Belles 21a Preamp, Rotel RSX-1056, Matricom G Box Q, Blue Jean & Signal Cable interconnects, Sonographe SG-3 TT, Panamax M4300-PM

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    The first time I plugged in the Dodd, I thought it wasn't working it was so silent. No kidding. I'll never forget that black background impression. Depth, clarity, all the things you speak of, absolutely. Congrats - you've amassed an enviable system in a very short time - enjoy it!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    Same with me with the Dodd, with 1950's Amperex Holland 7308 D getter.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2015
    Yep, a good pre/pro is mandatory.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    my first was with a dodd elp hooked up to a denon integrated amp.
    here's what danny richie had to say:

"Next we tried a big Denon integrated amp that Marvin brought in. Marvin please tell more about it. I believe he said it was 80 watts into 8 ohms and 160 watts into 4 ohms.

This thing had a typical solid state sound but a nice balance. Nothing stood out that was bad at all, but the sound stage was kind of flat and congested.

Since it had an auxiliary pre-amp input we were able to by-pass the internal pre-amp section and drive it with one of Gary's pre-amps. We hooked up his $450. entry level unit that is based on the Melos 333.

Wow! What a change in performance this was! Sound stage opened up big time and this amp sounded really good. It had lots of drive to it and a really nice overall sound. It did not quite have to lushness of the big tube amps but it was really musical. This was an easy combo to live with for a while too. We were all really impressed (all of us). Eyes were opened. I liked this combo much better than the Ampzilla's and the Ampzilla amps were used with a much better Dodd Audio reference level pre-amp."
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    My first "real" pre amp was a Sonic Frontiers, but I already knew what to expect as a friend had one hooked up to a nice R2R that just blew me away from what I was accustomed to.

Glad your digging the Belles, we wouldn't steer ya wrong man, she's a sweet piece for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Congrats on the Belles,,,knew you would like it,,,now go listen to your entire collection and report back here:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Mine was also a Dodd, and the difference was amazing. My Pass Labs however is on another level.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I picked up a Peachtree Decco 65 Integrated amplifier and took my 1st step into 2 channel music, then since I had a adcom amp powering my HT front speakers I decided to buy this Vincent SA-31 preamp to see what a Preamp & amp setup would sound like. And then later added a Vincent Amplifier to go with it and I super happy with my combo!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'll let you know soon. Not that the B&K I have now isn't quality but I'm moving to toooobes.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    Congrats and Njoy! Attaboy Marvin! lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Bought a Phase Linear 4000 Two series preamp in 1979. Sounded much better than the mid fi receivers I had previously.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Mine was the Anthem Pre 2L. Sweet sounds.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    I also had a phase 4000. Replaced it with an integra, the adcom 565, the a carver c19. The c19 was my first round with tubes.

Congrats on the Belles!! Nice stuff!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    edited December 2015
    My first quality preamp was a Rogue Audio Perseus. First tube preamp, first good one that I can recall. After that I stuck with tube pres... a Cary SLP98 then an SLP98 F1, then the Cary SLP05 and that's where I've been.

Not sure what's next for me.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • erniejade
    Joey, you kind of hit on something. Not sure what's next. When we hit a certain level in our system, it's not upgrading anymore. It's just a change in the signature sound of the designer. We all wonder what's the next step or direction or what might sound better to us but is it really an "upgrade"?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited December 2015
    erniejade wrote: »
    When we hit a certain level in our system, it's not upgrading anymore. It's just a change in the signature sound of the designer. We all wonder what's the next step or direction or what might sound better to us but is it really an "upgrade"?

I agree. We chase different and call it better. Our selections are based on our journey and preferences.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I should be getting my Dared tube preamp with Auricaps this coming week. I'm ridiculously excited.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • erniejade
    Good stuff nightfall! Nice pickup on the Dared.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    I wish I could keep the Backert labs Rhumba pre that I have only until this Wednesday :(
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.