Dodd owners sound off

Just for fun,,list your Dodd audio gear and you age,, I have a theory on Gear Brands and age,,so please humor me. I'll start

ELP. 66 yo
JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Hey George! Have fond memories of an MLP. Look forward to hear your theory.

I hope life continues to be a beach for you...lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Buhl--er, Buhl--er Buhl--er
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • MLP (in junk box). 66 yo
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Battery selectable gain preamp with one-of-a-kind extra active crossover for LF
    Battery powered phono preamp
    ELP
    Dodd rebuilt 1950's Heathkit M5-W tube monoblocks
    Today's my birthday but I'm not saying how old I am. Let's just say I remember when JFK was shot but not where I was.
  • Are the Heathkits the ones that Troy had?
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I'll bite - I'm the lucky owner of:

Dodd MLP
    Dodd Dual Mono 50W

And I'm constantly perusing for additional items - I'm a big respector of Gary's work!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Attaboy Buhl!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    ELP

Almost sold it once, but got busy suddenly and it fell by the way side. I still have the PM's from the members who expressed interest, so they'd get first crack if/when i'm ready.

Uhhh...I can vote and drink legally. Thats all ya get for age.
    No excuses!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    MLP (in junk box). 66 yo

If you want to give it a new home and get it out of that junk pile, let me know
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Jonesin' for that MLP eh?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    MLP (in junk box). 66 yo

Lol... Would be great for a second rig. My Pass is not going anywhere.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Lol... Would be great for a second rig. My Pass is not going anywhere.

Ok,, but you miss that Dodd,,admit it,, heck,,I still miss my MLP B)
  • dromunds
    George: Yes, the Heathkit W5-M monoblocks were Troy's. Fantastic amps, Gary rebuilt everything except the iron with new parts to Heath's schematics. Has that Peerless iron.
  • dromunds wrote: »
    George: Yes, the Heathkit W5-M monoblocks were Troy's. Fantastic amps, Gary rebuilt everything except the iron with new parts to Heath's schematics. Has that Peerless iron.

I thought they sounded familiar,,,we heard them at PF and they were pushing some Quads,,exquisite sound!
  • dromunds
    thanks, I've been playing phone tag with Russman to find out some history on them, apparently he was the man behind the scenes in getting them rebuilt. I heard Charlie Cocci had some hand in them also but not sure the whole background.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    MLP and you know exactly where I first heard it, what system it was on and where it came from. Same one that was pushing the Quads as well. 45 years old.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2015
    treitz3 wrote: »
    MLP and you know exactly where I first heard it, what system it was on and where it came from. Same one that was pushing the Quads as well. 45 years old.

Tom

He,he,,tired of it yet? B)
    BTW,,, I will never forget that day,, a lot of good memories and great times!
  • treitz3
    I'll take the Fifth on that one sir.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    battery preamp, not the full size but the half size version, anyone know the name of it?? anyway 49
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    MLP (in junk box). 66 yo

LOL if it weren't for John, I wouldn't be in the Dodd family, nor would I ever have bought that 50W. I owe a debt to your Jonesin!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2015
    George, I have no experience with Dodd, I have an Odyssey Candala pre. Is the Dodd better??

By the way, I am 175 years old.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • I,have not heard the Candela,,so I can only speak about the Dodd,,, someone here has an RLP ,,IIRC,,,with that said,,Imhave owned the ELP and the MLP,,,the former is a great entry level pre while the latter is certainly a step above,,in many cases,,the final piece.
  • dromunds
    I think Audiocr38ive (sp?) picked up an RLP
  • treitz3
    Nice! Very nice.

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    dromunds wrote: »
    I think Audiocr38ive (sp?) picked up an RLP

Yup
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/168382/get-your-dodd-audio-fix-on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    George, is this the one you were talking about? If not, I'd like to ask ...38 that if he ever sells.....

Truth be told, this may be the only way you get the MLP back.

Tom
  • Yep,, that's it,,
  • treitz3
    Idgit. (me).

Good call G.

Tom
  • dromunds
    Anybody else out there own a Dodd battery powered tube phono stage? Got a question about ohm loading....
  • dromunds
    Hoosier21, I sent you a PM re: identifying your preamp.