Wiring SL2000 tweeters

gracelj
gracelj Posts: 12
edited September 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Having received the tweeters I discussed on this forum last week, I'm now sitting here trying to figure out which lead goes to which post.

This may seem like a dumb question, but my OLD tweeters had plus and minus signs. I know the white lead goes to the positive post, but ... the NEW tweeters have a red post and a plain silver post, no positive/negative signs. Also, the new ones don't have an obvious right-side-up orientation, since the POLK AUDIO branding goes all the way around the center instead of just being on top.

I know someone out there can help me... I should probably know what red means, but, there it is; I don't.

Thank you!!!
Post edited by gracelj on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    edited September 2004
    I can't remember for sure, but aren't the terminal ends a different size? I know on the SL3000 they are. It doesn't matter what side is up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gracelj
    edited September 2004
    Nope... same size. (Drat. I thought we were on to something!)

I know it doesn't matter which way is up, but I also know that in the old ones, white was on the left - and I would guess it would be the same in the new - if I knew which way was up.

Well, it makes sense to me, anyway.

Is there any harm in wiring them the wrong way? I assume I wouldn't hear the right sound quality, and then I could fix it, but I'm afraid of damaging something.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited September 2004
    The post marked in red is the positive post. If you look closely near the metal posts, there will be "+" and "-" signs etched into the plastic.

Some of my SL2000s do not have the red mark on the positive terminal, only the etched "+" sign.

The SL2000T replacement tweeters do not have the etched "+" and "-" signs, only a red mark on the positive terminal.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • gracelj
    edited September 2004
    Perfect. Thank you! I've got the new SL2000s, without the positive mark - I thought red was probably positive, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2004
    Are you SURE the white lead was (+) ? In my experience polk has always been backassward in the way they color code. At least on my SDA speakers they all use white as (-) and the darker colored wire as the (+). No, wouldn't damage anything.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gracelj
    edited September 2004
    I think you are correct - I believe when I went back to put things together, I discovered my error when I took the old tweeter out of the second speaker (of course - so I had to undo what I did on the first!). It's all set now, and sounds great!

Thanks to all for your help!