Would a CSiA6 center speaker sound right with vintage Polks for HT?

Options
I recently upgraded my living room TV to a 75" and no longer have a place to put the single SDA CRS I have been using as a HT center speaker.

Would a CSiA6 center speaker be a reasonable match sonically for HT use with SDA SRS fronts, RTA-15TL rears and Monitor 5b surrounds?

If not, any suggestions on a good but similarly sized center speaker that would be compatible would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have no idea about that one-honestly. Have you thought about a cs400i. I used one on 1c's & it was very good. They can be had minty for around 75-100.00 +shipping usually ive seen & bought even on the bay
    Randy/Maine
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Would a Monitor 4, 4.6, or 5jr be too big?

CS400/CS400i is usually quoted as being a pretty close match. @nbrowser uses a CSiA as a center and I think I remember him saying it wasn't a good match with his SDA's.

Monitor 5jr

Image_020.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Tacitus86
    Options
    That's 2 votes for a CS400(i), will look into that. The new speaker will have to go under the TV on the front of the stand, I can raise the TV on blocks or something 7" or so to fit something like the CSiA6 under it but would prefer not to go much higher.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Tacitus86 wrote: »
    That's 2 votes for a CS400(i), will look into that. The new speaker will have to go under the TV on the front of the stand, I can raise the TV on blocks or something 7" or so to fit something like the CSiA6 under it but would prefer not to go much higher.

You could set the TV ontop of a full size Monitor 5. That's what I did, but I used them both instead of one.

v1X5Kah.jpg

NahfVv4.jpg

• boston1450
    Options
    ^^^^ i always enjoy see'n that picture. Sweet
    Randy/Maine
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    I would also vote for the CS400i. I have used mine with SDA-2A's and now with Monitor 7 series II with nice results.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    The CS350LS would be my choice. It was Polk's TOTL back in the day.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I use a CSiA6 as my center. Sounds great to me? I have five Jr.s and monitor 7a pair to use .sounds like a Kool idea? How do you hook up two centers to same amp connector? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Depends on the impedance of the speakers you're talking about and the quality of your amplification.

• boston1450
    Options
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I use a CSiA6 as my center. Sounds great to me? I have five Jr.s and monitor 7a pair to use .sounds like a Kool idea? How do you hook up two centers to same amp connector? Good luck. D
    ya run them parallel

Randy/Maine
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    ya run them parallel

Out from amp in to speaker then out from that speaker in to other speaker?
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    An AVR might have problems in Parallel. Try Series 1st
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Had a emotiva xpa-3 driving center and rears 200x 3. Now have my new to me B&K AVR5000 running rears and sides and center If I remember right 125x5. I would love to try my pair of Monitor 7a's I am not using . Thanks. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • boston1450
    Options
    An AVR might have problems in Parallel. Try Series 1st
    thats what i ment. You advised me of that a couple years ago when i used the 5's on my Yamaha rxv1 worked great too

Randy/Maine
  • helipilotdoug
    Options
    I have used the CSIA6 center with SDA2A's, SDA2B's, and SRS2's. The CSiA6 works great with all the vintage speakers I've tried it with. It is really an excellent center speaker.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There used to be an article on the preceding Polk website (FAQ's) that listed which center and surrounds were best matched with vintage Polk loudspeakers. IIRC it was in fact the CSiA6 that was recommended to be used with SDA's and Vintage Monitors.

Found it...
    x8h3dzf1wvu6.jpg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Tacitus86
    Options
    There used to be an article on the preceding Polk website (FAQ's) that listed which center and surrounds were best matched with vintage Polk loudspeakers. IIRC it was in fact the CSiA6 that was recommended to be used with SDA's and Vintage Monitors.

Found it...
    x8h3dzf1wvu6.jpg

Thanks for this info Jeremy!

Everyone's comments have been helpful, will start with a demo of the CSiA6 since it's the only one suggested that's still in stores to see how it sounds.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    I use the CSi A6 with my 3.1TL's with good results. Has anyone ever A-B'd the CSI A6 and the CS400(i)?
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    That's what I have.vanoek6rjg1s.jpg
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    That is a fine looking rig, looks like it could bring down the house If you weren't careful.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• PolkieMan
    Options
    Thanks, I had a Cs2 Series2 it didn't sound right. Subs are only used for movies (receiver's crossover 120hz) that way I take all the low end noise and explosions off my babies.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    Thanks, I had a Cs2 Series2 it didn't sound right. Subs are only used for movies (receiver's crossover 120hz) that way I take all the low end noise and explosions off my babies.

I like your idea of having the subs doing all the heavy lifting for special effects. Not sure though If I understand how you accomplished that, I might give that a shot with my rig. Thanks for the idea
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• boston1450
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    A few years back i used the Cs2 with some R30's on F & 15's on R & the Cs2 sounded pretty darn good

Randy/Maine
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I took another look at my settings based on what Polkieman did and found that all my speakers were set to the large setting. I reset them to the small setting and re adjusted my sub I understand this is the right thing to do per other posts I read here on the forum. My understanding is by running my mains and center on the small setting the receiver will divert more of the Bass to the sub and make life a little easier for the amp, any thought on this?
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• PolkieMan
    Options
    Yea cause your right the deep bass is what eats up your power besides let the sub handle all the the rattling.
    I took another look at my settings based on what Polkieman did and found that all my speakers were set to the large setting. I reset them to the small setting and re adjusted my sub I understand this is the right thing to do per other posts I read here on the forum. My understanding is by running my mains and center on the small setting the receiver will divert more of the Bass to the sub and make life a little easier for the amp, any thought on this?

• Tacitus86
    Options
    To wrap up this thread I was able to demo the CSiA6 and liked the way it sounded, so I bought one in the cherry finish and it seems to fit in well with my overall system for home theater use.

The tonal match is good with the older speakers, and driven with 200 watts it produces clear and accurate (at least to me) center channel sound at any reasonable volume. Now if the movie sound editors could do something about the mismatched volume levels during the action sequences...

Thanks again for everyone's input on this topic.
  • boston1450
    Options
    Congrats. Im sure shes purdy & it sounds like your feeding it well too. Enjoy your new center speaker
    Randy/Maine
  • Nightfall
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Now if the movie sound editors could do something about the mismatched volume levels during the action sequences...

That's called dynamics. Something music has been lacking lately. I don't know about yours but my Yamaha AVR has a setting that limits that sort of thing if you'd rather an explosion be the same volume as a conversation. I only use it at night, along with the bass turned all the way down to -6 and the dialog lift on maximum - to be kind to my fellow apartment dwellers.

• Tacitus86
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Now if the movie sound editors could do something about the mismatched volume levels during the action sequences...

That's called dynamics. Something music has been lacking lately. I don't know about yours but my Yamaha AVR has a setting that limits that sort of thing if you'd rather an explosion be the same volume as a conversation. I only use it at night, along with the bass turned all the way down to -6 and the dialog lift on maximum - to be kind to my fellow apartment dwellers.

I'm using an older Yamaha RX-V3000 that I bought new which allows you to set the front L&R main speakers to a maximum of -10db for surround programs, these are where most of the increased volume comes from. There's no capability to raise the center levels.

I set the center and main speakers as 'small' to offload the very low frequencies from these 3 to the subwoofer.

The sub itself is set to 0 gain, and the output level is set to about 2 (out of 10).

This is everything possible with the current setup, but when an action sequence kicks in the volume on the front L&R speakers is still much higher than the center channel that I would prefer.

The newer AVR/preamp/processors seem to have more capability in terms of customizing individual channels and Christmas is coming, maybe Santa will bring something.