LSiM705 an upgrade from 703's?

Options
Earlier this yr I picked a pr of LSiM 703's along with a 706c. I really wanted the 705's, but they were out of stock.
I have been very impressed with the sound of the 703's, but can't help but wonder if the 705's might be even better?
Listening is about 70/30, music/movies. Would the 705's bring anything to the table to enhance/improve my music listening experience over the 703's?
Thanks!

Comments

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the club,

IMHO I think if you have / or get a good sub you won't miss too much. I would think of it like this, you have the top portion of the 705 already and just missing the woofers, so a good sub will fill in the bottom end if you feel that your missing something and for HT that 706c is a beast and the combination of those three for the front soundstage should pound out some good bass.

Now of course if money is not a issue pick up a pair of 705 and use the 703 as surrounds and you got a great HT.

Cheers, Roger

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I have the 703 and considered picking up a pair of 705, but decided that my room was too small to justify the upgrade.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Azguy
    Azguy Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, and the welcome.
    My room is approx. 20' deep, 16' wide. Ceiling is 12' above the 703's and 706, slopes down to 8' where we sit. The room opens into the kitchen on one end, floors are wood.
    I am running an older, craptastic Sony SAWX700 sub . Not running a power amp at this time.
    I guess the biggest difference between the 705 and the 703 is the woofers in the 705's? I do prefer the look of the floor standing speaker as opposed to having to have the 703's on stands. Could one probably get by w/o a sub if running the 705's?
    DSkip, I'm not sure if there would be an improvement, that's why I was asking. As mentioned, I've been very pleased with the 703's, was just wondering if the 705's would bring even more to the table? Never having heard 705's, I don't know.
    Thanks again for the responses!
  • Azguy
    Options
    Would the sound quality be improved? Would the 705's fill a room of my size better?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Sounds like to me you are not satisfied with the bottom end of the speakers. If so that's due to the room size (approx 3200cuft). If that's the case then good sub will be the answer. If not the 707's would be the speakers in the Polk line for that size of room.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    Azguy wrote: »
    Would the sound quality be improved? Would the 705's fill a room of my size better?

I've had a pair of 703's and sold them quickly after I had the 705's. IMHO the 705's are a better musical speaker, in that the presentation is more balanced between high, mid, and low frequencies. To me, the 703's were very dynamic.... but if I could use this analogy to explain what was the difference for me......

With the 703's "I really appreciated the sound of the speakers"
    With the 705's " I really appreciated the sound of the music"

The 705's are dynamic but has a smoother, blended, more musical presentation
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    edited November 2015
    Options
    BTW my room is 25x22x8 and I don't feel the need for a sub, but my listening habits are 85% music and 15% movies. Again to me, the biggest difference in the two is the more blended/musical presentation
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you got the 703's for half off the 705's will cost double if the sale comes around again ($1500). That's $750 that can go towards subs. For $999 shipped you can get two Outlaw Ultra X12 subs. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html
    or can build a couple of 12" Dayton RS subs, Dayton amp, flat packs for about $700.

Keep the bang for the buck going....stuff the ports and add in some subs and stop thinking about the 705's and enjoy!

Well, only YOU know what works for YOU!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The same thing I posted in another current 703/705 thread.
    WLDock wrote: »
    If you got the 703's for half off the 705's will cost double if the sale comes around again ($1500). That's $750 that can go towards subs. For $999 shipped you can get two Outlaw Ultra X12 subs. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html
    or can build a couple of 12" Dayton RS subs, Dayton amp, flat packs for about $700.

Keep the bang for the buck going....stuff the ports and add in some subs and stop thinking about the 705's and enjoy!

Well, only YOU know what works for YOU!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    dhart86 wrote: »
    Azguy wrote: »

I've had a pair of 703's and sold them quickly after I had the 705's. IMHO the 705's are a better musical speaker, in that the presentation is more balanced between high, mid, and low frequencies. To me, the 703's were very dynamic.... but if I could use this analogy to explain what was the difference for me......

With the 703's "I really appreciated the sound of the speakers"
    With the 705's " I really appreciated the sound of the music"

The 705's are dynamic but has a smoother, blended, more musical presentation

I agree.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Options
    I started with the 703's - really liked them, saw the 705's on sale and couldn't resist. I like dhart86's explanation of the differences between the two sets and agree.

For me it was worth it (I kept the 703's as surrounds) and I have no regrets, but that's just me, not saying your experience will be the same.
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Short Answer: Don't waste your money.
    Long Answer: During last 50% sale, I bought 2 707s, 1 706c, 4 703s, 1 SVS SB13U sub hoping to build a kick@ss system (80% music, 20% movie). All power by a Rotel RB1095 with 200WPC x5 and Denon AVR 3806 to power the rears.

703 with a good sub sounds much better than 707. I've tried everything, even biamp, but couldn't get low enough bass out of the 707.

To my ears, Lsim system sounds very good, but always feel like something is missing. Just for fun, last month I bought JBL 530 for just $400 to compare with the 703 with the intention to return it. To my surprise, this JBL sounds better than 703. Both cross at 80hz with the SVS sub. Soundstage is wider and things sound more real (maybe because of the horn). I just don't like the look of small speakers on stands, so now I am hunting for bigger JBL 5 series to replace my Lsim setup.

Don't think the JBL 5 series is bright because of the horn. It's very smooth, but not warm like the previous LSI. I had Polk Rti setup before the Lsim and that was bright.
  • Azguy
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses/advice!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    nhhiep wrote: »
    Short Answer: Don't waste your money.
    Long Answer: During last 50% sale, I bought 2 707s, 1 706c, 4 703s, 1 SVS SB13U sub hoping to build a kick@ss system (80% music, 20% movie). All power by a Rotel RB1095 with 200WPC x5 and Denon AVR 3806 to power the rears.

703 with a good sub sounds much better than 707. I've tried everything, even biamp, but couldn't get low enough bass out of the 707.

To my ears, Lsim system sounds very good, but always feel like something is missing. Just for fun, last month I bought JBL 530 for just $400 to compare with the 703 with the intention to return it. To my surprise, this JBL sounds better than 703. Both cross at 80hz with the SVS sub. Soundstage is wider and things sound more real (maybe because of the horn). I just don't like the look of small speakers on stands, so now I am hunting for bigger JBL 5 series to replace my Lsim setup.

Don't think the JBL 5 series is bright because of the horn. It's very smooth, but not warm like the previous LSI. I had Polk Rti setup before the Lsim and that was bright.

interesting! but man those JBL's are friggin' UGLY to me! do they grow on you?
    I disabled signatures.
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    Options
    Yep. Those jbl looks weird without the grills. But very unique with them on.

Lsim looks cheap with all the plastic around each speakers. Look great with the grills on. But they keep falling down on my 707s. Polk should have tested them at high volume and use stronger.bigger magnets.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. I have to agree with msg, those JBL's are extremely ugly even with the grills on.

What plastic, the bezel? That's not plastic.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk