GIK 244 and Tri Trap acoustic treatments - Tampa, FL

nspindel
nspindel Posts: 5,343
edited November 2015 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
wleumib2s57q.jpg
Hey folks, I've been a bit quiet on here of late. Hope everyone is well! My wife and I recently moved to Florida from Connecticut, and I've been spending a lot of time out in the "real world" and less time in cyber space. I no longer have the comfort and convenience of my own dedicated music room, we're now in a 1200 square foot apartment. So as my as I love these things, I just don't have the space to use them anywhere (unless I want the wife to throw me off the top floor of the building...)

I'm selling six of the GIK 244 traps in black, 2' x 4' size. Then there are four of the Tri Traps in white.

Much too big to ship, so I'm hoping that someone close by wants to do up a room with acoustic treatments, because these will certainly do the job.

This photo shows some of the panels as I had them installed. You can see four of the black 244's against the wall and then you can see the Tri Traps in the corners.

Asking $300 total, I will break them up though if someone doesn't want to buy everything. These traps new are almost $1000. Obviously there's too much here for me to ship.

PM me with questions.
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Wow awesome deal!!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    WOW, I want....
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    This is a great deal, nspindel is a great guy to deal with , someone needs to grab these! ;) Wish I was closer, I would be buying them,lol.
  • nspindel
    Also I should mention that I've got a Land Cruiser so I can help out with transportation within a reasonable distance.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    nspindel wrote: »
    within a reasonable distance.

Is Indiana considered reasonable?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nspindel
    Lol Nope!
  • Toolfan66
    Colorado?? LOL!!!
  • nspindel
    And these are SOLD to Mike (BlueMDPicker), along with the Expedit shelf I had for sale. I got to meet Mike today at his house and see his array of A/V gear and other assorted goodies that had my jaw drop a few times! Great to meet him and see his beautiful home. Mike, I hope you get a lot of mileage out of the GIK stuff!!!
  • The pleasure was all mine, Neil. I think the GIK stuff will be getting a lot of mileage out of me! Going to do a major tube gear room remodel and some minor aesthetic changes to the main listening area all driven by the opportunity to do some acoustic room treatments.

I already have the tri-traps, 2 high, behind the Eros hybrids. They tightened bass clarity quite noticeably and seem to have removed a smidge or two of HF smear I can only associate with the dipole design of the speakers. One of those "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" things.

Thanks again! Maybe you can visit again when all my new found projects reach fruition?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2015

I already have the tri-traps, 2 high, behind the Eros hybrids. They tightened bass clarity quite noticeably and seem to have removed a smidge or two of HF smear I can only associate with the dipole design of the speakers.

I love my GIK!

Hi Mike! You maybe have some comb filtering going on? I had placed a pair of GIK 244 panels behind the Eros when I had them. It do tighten the sweet spot some cutting down on the rear dipole reflections. And no, that ain't me sitting there. Still have all my hair...lol

092511_6-Copy.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Toolfan66
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I already have the tri-traps, 2 high, behind the Eros hybrids. They tightened bass clarity quite noticeably and seem to have removed a smidge or two of HF smear I can only associate with the dipole design of the speakers.

I love my GIK!

Hi Mike! You maybe have some comb filtering going on? I had placed a pair of GIK 244 panels behind the Eros when I had them. It do tighten the sweet spot some cutting down on the rear dipole reflections. And no, that ain't me sitting there. Still have all my hair...lol

092511_6-Copy.jpg

Has always been one of my favorite rooms on the forum..
  • SCompRacer wrote: »
    I love my GIK!

Hi Rich! There certainly are enough reflective surfaces in my room to create some comb filtering. My plan is to arrange 3 of the 244's sitting vertically on the floor between the double high tri-traps, not unlike your layout, and below the large painting. My wife is actually happy I'm rearranging things and centering the painting with the coffered ceilings in the room (everything shifts left about 6"). I never much cared about that aspect of the room. I was just interested in the best placement of the sweet spot chair. :*

Never thought for a second that was you sitting there. Maybe Marco Rubio?

68qjc5vvfmcp.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2015

... My plan is to arrange 3 of the 244's sitting vertically on the floor between the double high tri-traps, not unlike your layout, and below the large painting.

Never thought for a second that was you sitting there. Maybe Marco Rubio?

It's good to make the wife happy! lol Nice room!

I also did a vertical placement with two of the panels. It gives you some dipole. I'll let the owner of that head speak up on his own.... ;)

012912_1.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Wife and kids are gone for various activities this evening, so able to make a quite a bit of progress. Still have to move that damn, heavy oil painting over. May wait for an extra pair of hands. It's hell to get old.

Did you build the panel stands to overcome AC outlet conflicts or to get the panels at listening level (knowing you a bit, I guess both)? I was able to fit two panels behind the gear cabinet, but couldn't do the third due to two dedicated circuit recepts on that wall.

I was able to get the Eros dialed-in to the new sweet spot. Liking it so far, plan on liking it a bunch when the lug-n-tug is over.

15142dr3d12p.jpg
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    I think that's my bald spot. Pretty good looking scalp, eh?

Congrats on the pickup. Great value there.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2015
    Wife and kids are gone for various activities this evening, so able to make a quite a bit of progress. Still have to move that damn, heavy oil painting over. May wait for an extra pair of hands. It's hell to get old.

Did you build the panel stands to overcome AC outlet conflicts or to get the panels at listening level (knowing you a bit, I guess both)? I was able to fit two panels behind the gear cabinet, but couldn't do the third due to two dedicated circuit recepts on that wall.

I was able to get the Eros dialed-in to the new sweet spot. Liking it so far, plan on liking it a bunch when the lug-n-tug is over.

Defintely get some help! I'm feeling my years too.

I built those stands so I could be more mobile with room setups versus hanging them on the wall. I also incorporated slots in the legs to separate power, IC's, speaker cables and air line for the linear air bearing arm. Keeps them off the floor too, easier to clean. Also have subs now cause my speakers suck...or it's that 10,000 cubic feet takes a lot to pressurize the low Hz. ;)

The stands also allowed me to take the panels down easily so Jasper didn't bound off it and end up on top of the stacked 8' high Tri-Traps. That usually happened when I wasn't home and the wife couldn't get him down, and it was MY fault.

With the Salk's, it was best to remove treatment behind speakers. So I have two pairs of IC's, power cables for subs, two pairs speaker cables, etc., so I left the stands in place. I was gonna make some smaller cable stands but still looking for that roundtuit.

042015_system.jpg
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • SCompRacer
    agfrost wrote: »
    I think that's my bald spot. Pretty good looking scalp, eh?

Congrats on the pickup. Great value there.

It's a handsome bald spot! :)
  • nspindel
    Thanks again! Maybe you can visit again when all my new found projects reach fruition?

Sounds like a plan!!!

• Success with first project. Had to "re-cover" the tri-traps to pass muster on WAF. Took all the caps and fabric off, reversed the fabric and hot glued the caps back on. They look good as new again. Took about 45 minutes per unit. Love that air staple gun!

I'm pleased with the tightened bass and clarity improvements I noticed almost immediately. Off-axis is much more listenable as well. Improvement dollars well spent.

yrhz2vweatdg.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    Success with first project. Had to "re-cover" the tri-traps to pass muster on WAF.

Happy to know I ain't the only one...lol Dear wife picked the fabric for my GIK Traps/Panels, Guilford of Maine Silver Papier.

You got some serious stuff there! High marks!!!
  • nspindel
    Glad to see you're already reporting success! Did you place any of the 244's yet?
  • nspindel wrote: »
    Glad to see you're already reporting success! Did you place any of the 244's yet?

Hi Neil,

I placed two panels behind my gear cabinet. That's about all I'll be able to get away with in that room. The remaining four will, eventually, be used in the upstairs room. Lots to do there first.