So, Polk-O-Ween 2015 was a bunch of fun but, for 2016...

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,707
The turnout was dismal from the forum this year.

Y'all say Polk Audio doesn't care about you anymore.

Well, that stings, it seems.

So Polkfest 2016 has been claimed...by Polk Audio.

We are working on a date and there will be tons of info because there are very big things afoot at Polk Audio. Definitive Technology as well, actually.

Mark Suskind gave a presentation on the Polkfests to leadership and mentioned the declining involvement from the community. The current leadership at Polk Audio agreed with him in that they need to get it back. They feel they have gotten away from the community aspect of Club Polk. They see it struggling because they have admitted that they've gotten away from it lately because of all the shake ups going on and leadership changes. But they have big changes coming that they feel will bring big value and they want to share it with all of you.

It will be a weekend long thing again. We are looking at an all-day event on a Friday with tours, product demos, food and just general schmoozing. Like in the past. I have it on good authority that one of the Polk executives wants to host you all at his home for a cookout on Saturday too. This isn't hearsay or guessing either. This IS happening. Just gotta nail down when.

So this is your heads up. Pay attention to the forums 'cause Polk Audio wants as many people there as they can get. I heard a hundred...no, a thousand! Whatever, they just want you to come back 'cause they're sorry and they miss you. They want you to bring your families and friends too.

You don't want to miss this. 'Cause Polk is pulling out all the stops and their new corporate siblings at Def Tech will likely be involved too.

I'll post info as I get it both here and in the Gatherings forums.

What I want to see from you people is when would work well for you all? I'm thinking August/September timeframe as it will allow people to not worry about school for kids so much and it'll be nice enough weather for a big 'ole BBQ. It also gives plenty of time to schedule a day off for work or whatever.

So what do you think? Let's hear your thoughts.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited November 2015
    Sounds OK I guess.

(but we're still going to invade your house again next year, just so you know... ;) )

Seriously, this sounds very sweet. If it's anything like 2008 was, you owe it to yourself
    to be there. Yeah, you really do.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Jstas
    DSkip, look, I'm glad you're proud of your post and all but really, it's not adding value here or there to keep telling everyone "I told you so". It's kind of obnoxious.
    I didn't post this for my own benefit. I posted this because Mark is behind all of this and he doesn't have the time to get to the forums to tell you all this stuff. We discussed this a bit at the Polkfest and in email and phone calls. There's more than I am letting on right now 'cause it's not ready yet. He's funneling me info and asking me to help organize you loonies over here since I've done it the past two years in a row.

So please, we all get how awesome you are. Just cool it with the "I told you so" posts.

Also, Polk's schedule is not our concern here. The insight is appreciated but we want to see what timeframe works for the most people. So let's throw a bunch of time frames at the board and see what sticks. It's understood that things like CEDIA will factor in to it but there's also things like new labs, even new buildings that are going to throw a wrench in the works.

Besides, every past HQ tour has happened in the later summer/early fall, right around CEDIA, despite CEDIA. I think moving buildings and building labs is going to be a way bigger factor. Besides, Polk Audio and Sound United have a way bigger pile of resources than we do but we have more man power so lets organize here and quit all the silly forum BS. Polk wants the family back together again so lets do it.

We will make this happen and Polk is working with us.

• Jstas
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Sounds OK I guess.

(but we're still going to invade your house again next year, just so you know... ;) )

Seriously, this sounds very sweet. If it's anything like 2008 was, you owe it to yourself
    to be there. Yeah, you really do.

Yeah, yeah, I know. But depending on when this happens will depend on when that happens. So lets get this sorted out first. Then we can figure out our own shenanigans.

And yes, every Polk HQ Polkfest has gone far and beyond what would be expected. The last one was at Stu's house and they catered lunch AND dinner. There was a BBQ done by a local BBQ joint on Friday and we saw demo after demo after demo. You also get to see new stuff that is in the works and all the cool toys the engineers have to design the new products. You get to meet everyone from executives to administrative assistants and everyone in between. You'll even get to meet your forum moderators.

Everyone is welcome and it'd be good for you all to put your petty differences aside because this is a rare thing in the world to have a corporation just open it's doors to it's customers and buy them a burger and beer just because.

• Jstas
    So let's talk dates.

For reference, the previous HQ events were all held in September/October timeframe.

Polkfest '05 - September 16th
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/32612/thank-you-from-all-at-polk#latest

Polkfest '08 - October 17th
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/73612/maryland-polkfest-08#latest

Polkfest 2012 - September 21st
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/128714/polkfest-2012/p1

What do you think?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Let's do it in the spring for a change.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    It'd be late spring if we did, I think, so they have time to prepare.

We did try doing '08, IIRC, in like March/April but it got shutdown 'cause Polk Audio just had too much going on. But there's a gigantic change involving moving large amounts of stuff that is going on right now and they might not be able to support a spring PF. But hey, throw out some dates and we'll see.

But you live in MD, you know what the weather is like so what are you thinking? An early May weekend?

We should probably avoid holidays.

• Jstas
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'd appreciate a little more courtesy and please don't jump to conclusions. I'm sorry I didn't explain the reason behind the post better. I have that issue occasionally. I'll refrain from any more posts here as I'm sure a conflict will pop up on my end, so my input is voided anyways.

Please do everyone a favor and consolidate these threads though. It's confusing to say the least. You can delete all my posts if you so wish as well.

Dude, you posted "Ahem" and then a link to your post. Doesn't come off well. I'm not going to apologize for calling you on it.

Quit playing the martyr act and put your input in. You'll have 6 months to a year to sort out the conflicts like everyone else.

I'm not consolidating threads until we get some dates that I can give to Polk.

I want the visibility so people see this and give some input. In either thread. I don't care. I'll do the hard work of consolidating the info.

• Jstas
    I didn't delete anything. I don't have the ability and even if I did, I'm not that petty. I'll stand by my words and offer apologies when necessary. It's all good.

But I'll say this, you want to be at this fest. I have some info I'm keeping under my hat for now but it's a big deal.

Make the time.

So right now, we have:
    - Some time in Spring (hope we can narrow that down a bit)
    - Not September 15th
    - Not the first week in October (although I think this trumps RMAF if you're a Polk fan)

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Jesus H;;;;;; take this to PM Skip and John. No one wants to read all the bs going on.

Grow the eff up.

Late Spring or October seems to be a good call. The Summer seems to get busy fast for everyone.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited November 2015
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Jesus H;;;;;; take this to PM Skip and John. No one wants to read all the bs going on.

Grow the eff up.

Late Spring or October seems to be a good call. The Summer seems to get busy fast for everyone.

H9

+ 1 on the time, I like before or after summer as well. May seems like a good month,
    not too hot yet and almost no risk of snow LOL. Same goes for October.

As for the summer getting busy? Yeah, that is true, but it seems like people will either make the effort to be there, or they won't; most of these things are set months in advance. I'm sure every host (including @jstas and @Dskip) of every event this Forum has held would like a dollar for every person who absolutely will show up and turns into vapor the day of.*

I'm not picking on any one person or people, I totally get that things happen and life gets in the way, etc. So since this is being held at HQ again, and Polk seems to be really stepping up their game, I say that the date(s) should really be their call. If they defer to what the majority says they want, great, but remember what I just said above*.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Good work John.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    This sounds like a fun event...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I for one would love to go, but a little to far for a weekend getaway...
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Some things to consider...

Late Spring or Early Fall means people who have kids...have kids in school. That could make or break some attendance.

August in Baltimore is nasty hot weather! NOW, if BDT brings TLW and she sports a bikini to keep herself cool...then I vote August!

For me personally, since I live in Baltimore, am not married and have no kids...i'm open. I go with the crowd. For a late Spring time frame, early May would be sweet. October for a fall date would be grand. Columbus Day weekend is a good option.

Real excited to see what Polk has in store!
    No excuses!
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    I've never been to a polkfest but would like to make one. My kids are grown or in college so I am pretty flexible with schedule. Maryland is not too far a drive from NC.
  • Jstas
    OK, so the options are

- Some time in Spring, early May is cool
    - Not September 15th
    - Not the first week in October (although I think this trumps RMAF if you're a Polk fan)
    - Columbus Day Weekend (October 7th-9th which I think is RMAF and you people whine about that conflicting)

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    May in Baltimore... don't forget to steer clear of Preakness weekend :-P
    (also, perhaps, college graduations, such as JHU's)
  • Jstas
    Good points on the graduations and such. They bring HUGE crowds and it can be hard to find hotel rooms. Same thing happens up here near Philly every year.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    This event may trump RMAF but that show is still a big deal and I think would be ideal if we could avoid a conflict. My vote is the last weekend in September
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2015
    We got married on Preakness weekend in B-more (well, technically, in Towson) in 1983 -- it was hard to find a limo :-P
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2015
    Hope that comes with a killer Polk Audio system!

Actually, I think if that drove through my neighborhood no one would flinch! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    Dude, I want one of those! That'd be the perfect conveyance up here in the nort country!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Jstas wrote: »
    OK, so the options are

- Not September 15th
    - Columbus Day Weekend (October 7th-9th which I think is RMAF and you people whine about that conflicting)

Preakness is Saturday May 21, 2016, so either of the two weeks before would be great.

Columbus Day weekend is great for travelers who may have off that Monday for the holiday.

No excuses!
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    DSkip wrote: »
    When times get tough, you just have to get creative Mr. H:

rednecklimo.jpg
    LOL, it looks like the front end came off of a U-Haul truck. Anybody remember those old station wagon limos you used to see back in the 50's. Seems like they were about 25 feet long with doors all along the sides. Seems they were popular on air bases and airports.
  • mhardy6647
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Jstas wrote: »
    OK, so the options are

- Not September 15th

Preakness is Saturday May 21, 2016, so either of the two weeks before would be great.

Heh -- that's our anniversary date :-P 2016'll be... ummm... let me do the math...
    33 yrs. There's some modular arithmetic that'll explain why that's a Saturday again in 2016... but it'd make my brain shoot out of my nostrils to figure it out.
  • I think somebody had access to a junk yard and an arc welder on that one. Looks a little drafty in winter.
  • Jstas
    So any more ideas?

• F1nut
    Yeah, spring time.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yeah, spring time.

Agreed, mostly because it's sooner. :wink: 2012 was really nice, and Polk folks are great hosts.
  • F1nut
    Well, looky who popped in.

President of Club Polk