Hospital grade receptacles? Or audiophile?

Options
mikeyb128
mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
My House isn't too old. Built in 2008. But in my home theater and 2 channel system, it seems the plugs walk out of the wall after a period of time. I will be running a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the theater. And would like to upgrade the wall outlets in the theater and 2 channel system. Would total 3 outlets. What I want is a tighter grip, should I just do a hospital grade outlet and call it a day? Or pick up something different? I have my b&k mono blocks plugged into one wall outlet with 2 signal cable magic cables, there is a little stress on the plug. The theater isn't as bad, but the house is fully developed, and the theater is easier to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to. The 2 channel system will be explored another time. But thought I would upgrade plugs since it's easy. I have a friend that is a licensed electrician working for beer on this one.
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Speedskater
    Options
    Nothing wrong with hospital grade, but you pay a lot for documentation and other features that you don't need.
    Just use the top shelf commercial/industrial receptacles from major manufactures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Upgrading outlets does not require a licensed electrician, but if you don't know what you're doing then it's probably a good idea.

That said, the base metal, the plating and the material used for the body all make a difference. Some are even cryo'd. If I didn't already have PS Audio Premier outlets I would use the Shunyata SR-Z1.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Thanks guys. Hospital grade through my friend is about 15 bucks per receptical, versus 50 for an audiophile. We are running a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my home theater room. Since he will be here he's going to install the other recepticals.
    What about

http://www.acoustic-tech.com/receptacles-inlets/fp-15a-cu-n1-15a125v-duplex-receptacle/
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    Options
    I have no personal experience with that outlet.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Thanks f1. Will do some research on the outlets you suggested.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• fmw
    fmw Posts: 90
    Options
    I doubt the "grade" of receptacle will have any effect on "grip". When the receptacles wear out, just replace them with a new receptacle. I recently replaced the 30 year old receptacle for my home theater with a new one that cost $1.75. Problem solved.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    fmw wrote: »
    I doubt the "grade" of receptacle will have any effect on "grip". When the receptacles wear out, just replace them with a new receptacle. I recently replaced the 30 year old receptacle for my home theater with a new one that cost $1.75. Problem solved.

They will, and it's not just the grip most worry about but the sound and lack of noise characteristics of better electrical outlets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Options
    In my home theater system, I replaced the old outlets (house built in 1979) with hospital grade plugs. Much tighter and secure connections with a noticeable increase in clarity and resolution.
  • F1nut
    Options

Those that don't know, don't know they don't know.

President of Club Polk

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Hospital grade through my friend is about 15 bucks per receptical, versus 50 for an audiophile. We are running a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my home theater room. Since he will be here he's going to install the other recepticals.
    What about

http://www.acoustic-tech.com/receptacles-inlets/fp-15a-cu-n1-15a125v-duplex-receptacle/

@mikeyb128,

That's a 15-amps receptacle, which I would not advise using with a 20-amps dedicated circuit. You might want to use a 20-amps plug in that circuit someday.

My experience with receptacles has been that standard receptacles are OK, and if you've never used a better quality one, then you don't know what you're missing.

Commercial/industrial grade receptacles may be a bit sturdier and durable than standard, Home Depot receptacles, but I've never perceived much difference.

Hospital-grade receptacles last longer an give a more stable connection, Hubbell-made receptacles are my preference, and I believe Hubbell makes the receptacles for PS Audio, although these are "isolated-ground" receptacles. At least, they used to make them.

I think many audio-grade receptacles are essentially hospital-grade receptacles with different plating on the conductors -- e.g., gold, rhodium. These plating materials resist corrosion, may improve conductivity, and affect the sound. You may or may not appreciate the effect on the sound quality, which is a attire of judgement and taste. [Any receptacle that is "isolated ground" -- e.g., PS Audio receptacles -- may not be a hospital-grade receptacle simply with different plating because isolated-ground receptacles may not be used in hospitals -- albeit that many aspects of the construction of these receptacles may be the same or similar.]

A lot will be determined by how "clean" your power is. When I added a Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One 5.0 in my circuit to my main system, the improvement in sound was dramatic, and I mean dramatic.

When I added a Furman power conditioner in the circuit for my second system (all but the amp), I noticed a significant improvement in the sound floor and clarity of the music.

Others on the Forum -- e.g., DarqueKnight-- have documented improvements with other system for "cleaning up" your electricity.

And others on the Forum, like F1nut, know much more about this than I.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    I have done a lot of research over the past week, on hospital grade recepticles, the consensus has been they do have a tighter grip. Seems only the people that haven't tried them, much like cables are the non believers. I would like a better grip outlet, and if I get better sound in the process then that's great too! I do t see 15$ for a hubbell outlet a lot of money. And I am ok with spending 50-60 on an "audiophile" grade outlet as well.

In my theater I use a Panamax m5400pm and in my 2 channel system I use a Nordost quantum power strip or otherwise know as a Q base.

Thanks @moose68bash the hubbells were the ones I was looking at. Always appreciate most people's opinions on here
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    There is a good reason why Hospital Grade outlets offer a better grip.....think about it....That being said you get better grip with a lot of the upper grade outlets i.e. not the cheap dumped in the bin by the hundreds those are junk from the get go.

Moose68bash makes very valid points
  • fmw
    Options
    Much ado about nothing.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Much ado about nothing.

padding your post count or do you feel like contributing ?
  • fmw
    Options
    Sorry you misunderstood what I wrote. Let me translate it for you. Receptacles don't matter. Is that better?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Nobody misunderstood you, your ignorance on the matter was obvious from the start.

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Off to a real good start there bud.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Registered in 2013...hasn't posted anything until now...sure stinks of a shill to me. Maybe Jinjuku or Habanero Monk reborn? Wouldn't be at all surprising.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • fmw
    Options
    Thanks for the insults. They are fairly entertaining. You people are like Democrats - fearful of opinions that dissent from what you view as the mainstream. Great fun.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2015
    Options
    fmw. Pretty good stand up comedy there if you think this SITE is populated by Democrats, you have NO idea! And are REALLY a NEWBIE! lol

Stick around, you might find that although your opinions on audio aren't shared by many, your "politics" might be at home here! You think? But then again YOU should KNOW that because you've been here for TWO years? How is that possible, since you only started posting yesterday?
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Stick around fmw, open your mind and expand your horizons.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    @fmw , you are mistaken in thinking the people here are "fearful of opinions". But
    you should have a few real life experiences to back your opinions up, maybe? Where most here get irked with people is when people simply dismiss things with a wave of the hand, without any first-hand knowledge to support what they state.

I mean, I KNOW a stock Camaro or Charger can't beat a Mustang in a 1/4 mile race. I've never driven any of those cars, and don't even have a license, but it just seems like that's how it would be if they raced. See what I'm getting at here?

Stick around, you will not be the first who doubted that something trivial could make a difference, but were pleasantly surprised that they were wrong.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited November 2015
    Options

I guess the NEC doesn't know this...;)

The primary reason to use a hospital-grade receptacle at a patient bed location is to ensure that a receptacle with a greater contact tension is provided to minimize possibilities that an attachment plug supplying medical or life support equipment may be disconnected because the attachment plug slipped out of the receptacle.

I unplug my gear when done listening cause I don't bank on lightning not striking in the same place twice. Hospital grade do last longer.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

The primary reason to use a hospital-grade receptacle at a patient bed location is to ensure that a receptacle with a greater contact tension is provided to minimize possibilities that an attachment plug supplying medical or life support equipment may be disconnected because the attachment plug slipped out of the receptacle.

BINGO there must be a concerted effort to unplug LIFE saving equipment.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    When I built my house , I installed PS AUDIO 20 amp outlets at my Head end location.
    They are Hospital grade and beyond from what I understand.
    Audioquest finally decided to jump into the Outlet game and has developed 15 and 20 amp models. Looks like they only come in black with Non Decor style. Thats fine they come with their own plate.
    I plan on switching out the PS AUDIO for the Audioquest model. I'm not sure if it will do anything in quality that PS AUDIO didn't already do. PS AUDIO does many things power and do a very good job at it. But Audioquest is completely into the details so I'm sure it will be at least of equal quality.
    I don't mind spending the money on anything that relates to power transfer. If Audioquest came out with Romex, I would completely wire the circuit with it. It's something I'd like to see.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    If Audioquest came out with Romex, I would completely wire the circuit with it. It's something I'd like to see.

@mantis,

I believe Kardas markets a Romex cable for use with audio gear, but I've never read any reviews of it.

Do you have an opinion of Cardas, Oyaide or Acrolink v. Audioquest?

I've been happy with the quality of Cardas and AQ, as well as with PS Audio products. I've never used Oyaide or Acrolink, whose in wall wire is pricey for anything approaching a long run for a dedicated circuit.

This link describes some options:

http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/products/in-wall-wiring/#tabs-374-0-1
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Speedskater
    Options
    Only Southwire manufactures Romex®, everything else is just a copy.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    If Audioquest came out with Romex, I would completely wire the circuit with it. It's something I'd like to see.

@mantis,

I believe Kardas markets a Romex cable for use with audio gear, but I've never read any reviews of it.

Do you have an opinion of Cardas, Oyaide or Acrolink v. Audioquest?

I've been happy with the quality of Cardas and AQ, as well as with PS Audio products. I've never used Oyaide or Acrolink, whose in wall wire is pricey for anything approaching a long run for a dedicated circuit.

This link describes some options:

http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/products/in-wall-wiring/#tabs-374-0-1
    I own some Cardas stuff and think it's great quality. I also think they are on par with Audioquest on some things as the owner has the same level of engineering and sheer perfection Audioquest shoots for. They are very similar style companies and is a strong reason why I like Cardas stuff.
    I will have to look into that, Thanks.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ibewbrother
    Options
    I always hate to wade in to these posts....but I can't help it.

The audiophile "romex" may be better wire....but your breaker is still the same copper as any other. I will also bet that your panel has plain old copper buss bars that feed the breaker. And more than likely aluminum from the pole.

I work in an old factory...the way we get "clean" power is through transformers. Either isolation or step-down....put a line filter on it and even "finicky" things like computers and servo drives play nice with voltage variations and such.

Personally...I have a standard 20 amp double duplex feeding a Belkin conditioner. Would my stuff sound better if i rewired everything....? Sure....would I notice? Probably not. I say a good quality recepticle....with a nice conditioner plugged into it..is acceptable. I would add a whole house surge suppressor/lightning arrestor if the budget allows.

Just this electrician's opinion....no offence intended....

Kim

"Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics." BillD

Pioneer Elite SC-57
    M70 series 2 mains
    CS2 center
    M40 surround
    M30 front height
    SVS PB 12 NSD

Carver TFM-45 (mains)
    Carver A753x (center, surround)

320GB PS3, 42" Panasonic G10,

M60's as a Zone 2 off of the Pioneer in the living room

R.I.P. Onkyo TX-NR807
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Maybe ya chased FM back to his FM stereo set up?? :) I finally am making this part of the set up a reality this week and am not skimping on outlets, that's for sure!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!