Oppo 105 help needed

Trying to play USB dac on an oppo 105D through hdmi (I get no sound). I haven't been able to find an answer, and have fiddled with all the settings. My guess is it will only play through the anolog section. Have this thing set up in the home theater, not interested in buying another couple grand in MIT cables to go from oppo to marantz. Thanks guys
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Not sure what your trying to do there Mikey. Your trying to use the USB input on the OPPO ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2015
    Hey mikey, I think your talking about having your oppo hooked to your AVR via HDMI?

I found if I did this and played a SACD in my oppo set for DSD I got no sound thru my NAD T-758 AVR because it can not decode DSD.

when I switched to Analog cables It work just fine as the OPPO did the decoding. thinking your problem is along this line, if I change the setting to PCM instead of DSD I could hear the SACD through my NAD AVR.

but you mention USB DAC? is the files your playing thru the DAC recognizable by the oppo and maybe it is still could be a problem that your AVR cannot decode?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Sorry guys. Will try to explain more clear. Mac book pro hooked up to the USB input on the oppo (dac input). And using hdmi to marantz 7702. I don't get any sound. I did test it in the 2 channel system, and would work via the anolog outs. But doesn't seem to work via hdmi to my marantz. Which sucks!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    voltz wrote: »
    Hey mikey, I think your talking about having your oppo hooked to your AVR via HDMI?

I found if I did this and played a SACD in my oppo set for DSD I got no sound thru my NAD T-758 AVR because it can not decode DSD.

when I switched to Analog cables It work just fine as the OPPO did the decoding. thinking your problem is along this line, if I change the setting to PCM instead of DSD I could hear the SACD through my NAD AVR.

but you mention USB DAC? is the files your playing thru the DAC recognizable by the oppo and maybe it is still could be a problem that your AVR cannot decode?

The files worked just fine in my 2 channel system using my oppo as a preamp. So the problem is not the oppo not recognizing the format.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    ok, if you go into the OPPO setting and Audio processing I changed SACD from DSD to PCM and it worked, how about changing the hdmi setting from auto to LPCM or Bitstream and see if it works?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mikeyb128
    voltz wrote: »
    ok, if you go into the OPPO setting and Audio processing I changed SACD from DSD to PCM and it worked, how about changing the hdmi setting from auto to LPCM or Bitstream and see if it works?

I will try that. Hdmi is set to bitstream. Tried changing sacd from dsd to pcm.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    My Laptop to Oppo's USB analog to AVR ran in 2 Channel is how I run mine? I believe that is the only way. Call Oppo they can set you straight.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Changing it to PCM may be the ticket. If your going digital out on the OPPO to the Marantz, I don't think the Marantz is capable of decoding a DSD file unless it's converted.

Why not use the analog outs of the OPPO though ? Is there a reason you want to use the HDMI, aside from having to buy another set of cables ? Your passing up the dacs in the 105, which in that case....you could have saved some coin with the 103.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Um, it's the dac input your using right? I don't think the oppo is going to convert it back to digital after feeding the dac. Makes sense it doesn't work that way.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mikeyb128
    Um, it's the dac input your using right? I don't think the oppo is going to convert it back to digital after feeding the dac. Makes sense it doesn't work that way.

Yup using the dac input. I don't know why the heck I didn't think of using the anolog outs to the marantz. Makes no sense to convert it from digital to anolog to pass it digital over hdmi. I only have a set of xlr king cobras. I'm too lazy to pull the rack out.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    So I ended up using the second hdmi output on the oppo and using analog out. took me about an hour to figure out why the heck I still didn't get any sound. Turns out there is a input select in the marantz menu to switch from analog to hdmi. Set it to analog and I'm in business. What a pain in the a$$. Found a pair of RCA lying around a friend of mine built. They sound pretty dam good. Now to pull out the rack, wire everything in and set it up on the Logitech remote.
    2 channel:
    Theater: