Dog Food Recall Thread

I'm signed up on a website that automatically e-mails me when any dog food/treats are recalled. I know there are many dog owners here and thought maybe it would be a good idea to pass these along in this thread when I get them? If not a good idea just let me know. Here's one I got today.
On September 23, 2015, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced the recall of certain lots of Dingo brand dog chews because the product has the potential to contain amantadine.

Amantadine is a human antiviral drug not approved for use in animal food.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    I'd be happy for any info you'd want to share ! (3 rescue dog household :) )
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    We got 5 dogs 3 of them rescues, thanks for sharing we have bought the Dingo brand in the past, right now they have been begging for the Puparoni Styx the wife bought them.

A big bag don't last long with the many mouths to feed treats to, plus they sure do want to go outside to trick us into giving them one. Yeah please keep us informed.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Cool man, though I would encourage most to really look at whats in the treats or dog foods prior to buying. By the time a recall happens, your pet has already downed tons of the junk.

I don't buy any dog treats from stores anymore. They are too expensive, too full of crap. Make your own, which is cheap to do or only buy all natural stuff and look at whats in it. Just because stuff says "natural" on it doesn't mean it is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    We got 5 dogs 3 of them rescues, thanks for sharing we have bought the Dingo brand in the past, right now they have been begging for the Puparoni Styx the wife bought them.

A big bag don't last long with the many mouths to feed treats to, plus they sure do want to go outside to trick us into giving them one. Yeah please keep us informed.

Pup-peroni is garbage dude. You'll find it on the list. You can make your own pepperoni sticks for the pups.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022145850
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    F1nut wrote: »
    Maybe the dingo ate your baby!

LMAO.....um, you didn't by chance visit Ted recently did ya ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited October 2015
    Here's a good guide to decipher the mess.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_pet_food_for_your_pets_sake#

I learned long ago what rendering was. Ever wonder what happens to Fido when you put him down and don't take the body with you ? You guessed it, back into commercial dog food, with all that medication in him too. Sometimes even the collar is found in dog foods. Circus animals, livestock, sickly beasts of all nature, you think they bury them on a hill under a tree overlooking the valley ? Nope, back into dog food. All legal too. Think about that next time you buy dog food at places like Wal-Mart or you see a bag of Kimble and bits.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Is it from China? A few years ago Chinese pet supplies was killing dogs. Probably made by the same company selling bad baby formula.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited October 2015
    That's sick, Tony. Anything called "meal" is applicable? I just checked my dog food:
    Lamb meal, brown rice, rice flour, peas, rice bran, menhaden fish meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, flaxseed, dried egg product, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dl-methionine, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, manganese sulfate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, folic acid, sodium selenite, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement

There's two "meals" in mine. Bad? I get my food from a locally owned pet store, it's about a buck a pound.

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    We've been weaning ours off treats and just giving them boiled chicken.We keep it in ziplock bags and feed it to them like treats.They love it.They do still get a dental stick in the mornings for their teeth.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Laura Nyro dollar vinyl. This one is a gift for someone but I'm spinning this
    1969 re-release. One pop so far. I think I'm good to give.
    lxfe2g4f5iz9.jpg
  • ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    I keep it simple any food stuff, human and/or pet that's made in China I do not buy.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited October 2015
    great and useful thread!
    sorry about the mis-post.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Been having great results with Taste of the Wild brand. Five yeas ago bought Iams @ Sams club and my dog almost died. Refunded my money but it was a close call. Great thread. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • tonyb
    edited October 2015
    ukcolin99 wrote: »
    I keep it simple any food stuff, human and/or pet that's made in China I do not buy.

That goes with out saying, but many companies here too have some unscrupulous ways of putting waste back into food, then using chemicals to make it taste like food....human or pet food. Most prefer not to know these things.

If it's not safe for human consumption, why would I give it to my dog ? Then again, they do occasionally eat their own turds out in the yard so they have that going for them.

I use a high grade dog food but only give half the recommended amount. The other half is food I cook for them placed on top. You'd be surprised how cheaply you can make your pets food.

I use a Dutch oven, throw some olive oil in there and stir in veggies. I use any combination of or all, of potatoes/carrot/celery/green beans/broccoli/cucumbers/tomatoes/zucchini .....add a bit of garlic, no salt, and let it all soften a bit. I like using a lot of tomatoes as they make a great sauce for the food. Then I start the oven at 325-350, place either a whole organic chicken on top or whatever else I can find on sale. Did a chuck roast the other day that was on sale for 5 bucks. I usually pour some liquid in it, a bit of water, occasionally I use boxed organic liquids like veggie or chicken/beef, but use sparingly as that stuff usually has boat loads of salt in it. Throw it in the oven and within 2 hours your done, you now have some good stuff for your dog for a whole week, and you'd be hard pressed not to eat it yourself when it comes out of the oven....I do. Did pork chops too a week or so ago. One thing with using Chicken though. When you refrigerate it, the fat will solidify on the top of the liquid base. I take a spoon and simply skim it off. I also usually de-bone the chicken after it comes out of the oven after it cools a bit to get all the skin off, bones, so just meat and veggies is in there. Sometimes I buy livers/hearts and gizzards too and add it in the dutch oven. Dogs love it. Don't over use garlic either, too much is bad for them, but some is good and keeps the little parasites off them. I use maybe half a teaspoon to a teaspoon for the whole pot. You also want to refrain from using spices, many can have an adverse affect on animals so make it bland and let the foods create the flavor. I usually take it out of the fridge, cut everything up into bite size pieces, drizzle some juice on top rather heavily, nuke it for 30 seconds and place on top of the dry dog food. Add a bit of water if you need to reconstitute the juices too. The bowl is always empty 2 minutes later, veggies and all. Btw, when using meats like pork or beef, I always sear it first in the dutch oven on the stove top, remove it, then add the veggies, a bit of liquid to scrap the goodies off the bottom, then put the meat back in before going into the oven.

I also give my pup a bit of cottage cheese with some olive oil or flaxseed oil mixed in. Good for their digestion and heart, any Vet will tell you that. That's in between meals when they sit there and stare at you....feed me, feed me.

Dutch ovens are great, you can throw anything in there with some veggies and bam, your done. I've done Turkey breast/Chicken, Roasts, Pork, ground beef, you name it, I probably have used it. My butcher always runs specials, last week it was organic boneless chicken **** for 2 bucks a pound. Can you buy quality dog food or treats for that price ? 6lb chuck roast for 5 bucks....should have bought more and froze it.

Takes me 5 min. to prep everything and get it in the oven. Nice thing about the dutch oven is you don't have to babysit it, throw it in the oven, set the timer and forget it. It's worth the little bit of effort guys, and your pup certainly won't argue.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I boil mine chicken, rice and vegetables
    Boil the chicken, let it cool, skim the fat and debone , add rice and fresh vegetables. Freeze in containers

For treats, pig ears and smoked bones from the butcher from the butcher, keep those in the freezer too.

My boxers love'm and I know where it comes from
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    Nightfall wrote: »
    That's sick, Tony. Anything called "meal" is applicable? I just checked my dog food:
    Lamb meal, brown rice, rice flour, peas, rice bran, menhaden fish meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, flaxseed, dried egg product, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dl-methionine, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, manganese sulfate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, folic acid, sodium selenite, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement

There's two "meals" in mine. Bad? I get my food from a locally owned pet store, it's about a buck a pound.

The thing with the word "meal" is it has a big variance as what is acceptable. Think of it like when you see "natural flavors" on human food ingredients. The variance is so wide, you don't know wtf is in it.

You can google any of those ingredients and see whats legit or not. What you won't find though is how those ingredients are sourced, and that's key.

Food companies don't want you to know, and the FDA allows them to hide behind terminology. Human food too. If you knew what was really in it, would you buy it ? That's the whole game isn't it ?

Talking dog food, or human food, the closer you can get to eating whole foods the better.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I boil mine chicken, rice and vegetables
    Boil the chicken, let it cool, skim the fat and debone , add rice and fresh vegetables. Freeze in containers

For treats, pig ears and smoked bones from the butcher from the butcher, keep those in the freezer too.

My boxers love'm and I know where it comes from

Cool bro, rice is found in many dog foods. It's a great filler, but if your pup has allergies or is allergic to grains, leave it out or substitute something else. Nice to see someone else cooks for their pups. Knew I liked you for some reason, still don't know what that reason is though, but I do anyway. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    I had a customer 20yrs ago who had 2-200lb+ english mastiffs and those beasts ate a lot. She said it was it was cheaper to cook than buy so called premium dog foods so when I got my first boxer I cooked for him.

It's cheaper, healthier, and really doesn't take much time. We do the hearts/liver/gizzard w/garlic stuff too a couple times a month. We do our best. We fortunately have a flea and tick free neighborhood so no pesticides for the dogs. We do our best.

You're an OK dude too...always get a kick out of your stories

Cheers
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• tonyb
    A flea and tick free neighborhood ? Didn't realize such places existed....especially in Texas. LOL

You guys have critters and bugs down there nobody has ever seen or heard of before...but we do here too, most run for governor though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    tonyb wrote: »
    A flea and tick free neighborhood ? Didn't realize such places existed....especially in Texas. LOL

You guys have critters and bugs down there nobody has ever seen or heard of before...but we do here too, most run for governor though.

When we lived in Galveston fleas were really bad. Moved off the island after Hurricane Ike, still in Galveston County we got 2 new pups, and never had to treat them. I even live on a green belt with frogs, snakes, and turtles been here nearly 7 years pest free....but yes we have some cockroaches in our capitol too.

• Nightfall
    Got another this morning
    On September 30, 2015, Salix Animal Health of Deerfield, Florida announced the recall of one lot of its Good 'n' Fun Beefhide Chicken Sticks because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.

Salmonella is a bacteria that can affect the health of both pets and humans.

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    tonyb wrote: »
    Dutch ovens are great...

That's NOT what she said... :p

Good thread though. Valuable info.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Hope they don't recall Milk-Bones they are good with chesse dip
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Nightfall
    On October 2, 2015, K-9 Kraving Dog Food of Baltimore, Maryland, announced the recall of its Chicken Patties dog food because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella and Listeria mitocytogenes.

Salmonella and Listeria are bacteria that can affect the health of both pets and humans.

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    My Schnauzer died as a result of treats from China.
    It caused his liver to shut down. He recovered partially,
    and lived almost another year. US brand, but made in CHINA.
    It was on a list to avoid, but didn't see it until we did a search.
    READ LABELS. If it says anything but MADE IN USA avoid.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    My man-eating pug rescues thank you.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    My Schnauzer died as a result of treats from China.
    It caused his liver to shut down. He recovered partially,
    and lived almost another year. US brand, but made in CHINA.
    It was on a list to avoid, but didn't see it until we did a search.
    READ LABELS. If it says anything but MADE IN USA avoid.

You have to go further than just reading where it's made. Even U.S. made stuff will still source some ingredients from China.

In the day of Google, it doesn't take much effort to google a food or ingredient to see what kind of problems if any presents itself.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    Excellent detailed paragraphs from tony, thank you for the info, maybe Food Network can give you a cooking show for pets......I've always had at least one dog, been back in my US home town nearly a year w/o one, gonna get back on the rescue sites try & talk myself into one, with added pleasure/fun/challenge of cooking his/her food.
  • Nightfall
    On October 25, 2015, Salix Animal Health of Deerfield, Florida announced it is expanding the recall of its Good 'n' Fun Beefhide Chicken Sticks because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.

Salmonella is a bacteria that can affect the health of both pets and humans.