Which receiver to get?

Hello,
I am currently looking to buy a new AV receiver. I have been bouncing around between, Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz. I currently have Polk New Monitor 25C for center, 75T for fronts, and T15 for the rears. I am looking at Yamaha Aventage RX-A750, Denon X3100, or the Marantz NR 1605/SB5008.
I have been looking around for the past few weeks, and even have been to Best Buy to try out the different receivers, I can't make up my mind. Which one do you think will be good to power these speakers? I like the sound of Marantz NR 1605, but with 50 watts per channel, I don't know if it will be enough to power my front speakers. I appreciate any input at this point.

Comments

• The room size is 12×10, and I'd like to use for ht use as well as stereo for music. I want to spend around 400 and the models are around that price refurbished on accessories4less.com
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    The little NR series do sound good for the price/size. but the power output, will be the issue.

If you can step it up to an SR series Marantz receiver, I don't think you'll be sorry.
  • Thanks all! I have been looking at the SR series and going that step up, is it worth getting the Marantz, or should I lean towards Denon or Yamaha?
  • Upstatemax
    Personally, I really like the sound signature from Marantz. Detailed, warm and a great mid-range.

My old Denon 2808 kicked the bucket and I have been borrowing a buddies Marantz while I wait to order a new receiver.

I find the Marantz, despite the fact it's only an NR series to sound awesome. But it is lacking in power, I have to really watch the volume knob.
  • I use the NR-1603, an earlier version of the one you are considering. My room is approx. 16x24. The Polk 75Ts are listed as 8 ohm & 90db so I would think you would be ok given your room size and the 75Ts specs.

But.... more is always better.
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • Marantz will give you nice music and ht... wattage is meaningless to sound quality which is subjective to the taste of the listener
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Marantz will give you nice music and ht... wattage is meaningless to sound quality which is subjective to the taste of the listener

I might disagree there pal. If your speakers aren't performing to their fullest, then Sound Quality will be less optimal. If they have the proper power, then SQ increases. Wouldn't you agree ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    I think for the size of your room, you'll have plenty of power with the NR, unless you like it REALLY loud.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    tonyb wrote: »
    Marantz will give you nice music and ht... wattage is meaningless to sound quality which is subjective to the taste of the listener

I might disagree there pal. If your speakers aren't performing to their fullest, then Sound Quality will be less optimal. If they have the proper power, then SQ increases. Wouldn't you agree ?

Perhaps if the specs are/were correct and all things were measured equally. But manufacturers tend to talk smack about their wattage ratings... I'll take an honest well made receiver with 50 watts over a 1000 watt Pyle any day.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    tonyb wrote: »

Perhaps if the specs are/were correct and all things were measured equally. But manufacturers tend to talk smack about their wattage ratings... I'll take an honest well made receiver with 50 watts over a 1000 watt Pyle any day.

But if watts didn't matter, or good power in general, why the preference ? All I'm sayin' is good quality power has plenty to do with SQ. If it didn't, we'd all be using receivers alone to power everything.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Upstatemax
    While I can agree, it's not ALL about wattage, it can certainly make a difference.

As I said, I'm using an NR series Marantz right now. I will only connect my 806V's to it, no surrounds. Even with it running only 2ch and crossing over at 80hz (I usually crossover closer to 60hz), the NR runs out of steam quickly. I have to be VERY careful with the volume knob.

My old Denon had zero issue driving the 806V's crossed over at 60hz and surrounds.

A lot of it will also be the receivers ability to deliver current to the speakers. Better power supplies and caps in the bigger, more expensive receivers, help control the speakers.

One of the big reasons I suggested the SR series is that he runs multiple speakers. Once you start running a full 5ch system, the power ratings drop, quickly. Little receivers with little power supplies can only only run so much...

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Get a new Onkyo TX-NR838 they have plenty of power and are priced reasonably and well worth the money spent.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Best to select an avr with the features that you want with pre-outs and add a minimum 3 channel amp for the fronts and center to give you the SQ you want for music.

• MrRoboT
    MrRoboT Posts: 39
    My Marantz 8801 cost $850 with a $450 5ch amp it sounds divine. That price is on par with a receiver these days.