DSW MicroPRO 4000

Options
Well, I think I found the problem (see attached picture).

I pulled it apart and rigged it to be able to turn on with the sub connected while on the bench.

When I did, that little green guy shot sparks at me.

I'm 100% sure what it is but if someone knows for sure, I can replace that I think.

So any ideas?u9lvxd53sj72.jpg
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    OK, nearest I can tell from positioning and what that looks like, it's a Metal Oxide Varistor for circuit protection.

Anybody have an idea on what the specs are on it?

Since this amp isn't working anyway, I figured I'd replace the two of them and see what happens. Nothing else on the boards looks damaged. I'll have to pull it off its mounts and see if any runs delaminated or burned but this might be an easy fix. Everything else looks good and this appears to just be the power supply board. Nothing else looks damaged and none of the power wires to the other boards are burned. I'm guessing it was an external surge that vaporized the varistor. Especially given its location on the board.

I'll replace both since one blew, I wouldn't trust the other one.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I have nothing to offer, except that dude, I wish I had ur skills brother! Hope u get it figured out and working. Darkknight gave that sub a KILLER review years back. I've always wanted one...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    ^^^ same here, but I'm enjoying mine. Not too bad of a sub!
    SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • slk55amg
    Options
    I have had mine since late 2011. Like it, solid, glad I got it.
    Emotiva XPA5, Sony ES 5300,: Lsi 15,s LSIC, Monitor 70,s, ( side surrounds) FXI 3,s, (rear surrounds)Micropro4000, Velodyne DEQ 10, Sony 55inchXBR 930D Sony BDP 790 Bedroom rig SonyES 3200 RTIA1,s CSIA4 FXI3,s polk PSW 10 SONY 34inch XBR960:cool:SONY BDP550