Media server for a car?

Does anyone here have a media server in their car that they would recommend? I'm tired of fumbling with CD covers while I'm driving, and I don't want one of those 10-disc players. Any suggestions/advice? Thanks!
TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier

Comments

• nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    iPhone and bluetooth
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • My current ride has a factory installed thumb drive. It works great for me. In my previous vehicle I installed a 3.5mm stereo jack in my dash and connected an MP3 player. The second link below has lots of interesting items.

http://www.polyplanar.com/product/ic35pm-panel-mount-adapter

http://www.oemautosound.com/m-5-pie-interface.aspx

HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • New head unit that works with an iPhone or flash drive...

There are folks that do full on cap computers, but they are pricey and require a lot of expertise to install and get the right parts for.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • machone
    The Fiio-x3 handles the HD formats up to DSD. You would need an aux input on the head unit. $200 plus an SD card is not a bad price.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    I like the idea of the Fiio, but I have a different problem now. I decided to use a flash drive for a while but my Pio deck reports "No Device" while on USB selection when I connect the flash drive to the USB extension cord coming from the deck. I'm hoping it's just not plugged in to the back otherwise it's troubleshooting time. Other flash drives inserted don't work, either.
  • ROHfan wrote: »
    I like the idea of the Fiio, but I have a different problem now. I decided to use a flash drive for a while but my Pio deck reports "No Device" while on USB selection when I connect the flash drive to the USB extension cord coming from the deck. I'm hoping it's just not plugged in to the back otherwise it's troubleshooting time. Other flash drives inserted don't work, either.

Read the manual to see if you need the drive formated as NTF or FAT32.... that may be your problem.......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • machone
    I hope you try the Fiio and report your findings. I have been wanting to try one.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    ROHfan wrote: »

Read the manual to see if you need the drive formated as NTF or FAT32.... that may be your problem.......

Don't think that's it...the power light on the drive doesn't light up. I think it's an issue with the connection on the back of the radio which is unaccessible. This sucks.
  • I would suggest a digital player like the fiio x5 or the sony nwz-a17 and hook it to a player with analog inputs.

My car system bypasses a receiver and the signal goes straight from iPod to crossover and then to amplifiers. Sounds great.
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer