SDA2 to Digital

Thinking about getting rid of SDA2 pair in wooden cabinets and switching to digital to free up floor space, not really my idea, and a sad thought. I want to keep my old analog receiver, vinyl collection, and CDs. What wireless system should I get and how do I tie my old components into the wireless speaker network

Comments

• I was told by Polk that the current Omni P1 will not do what I'm looking to do, but there are plans to upgrade the P1 to achieve what I'm after. I guess this is my answer.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You're getting wireless speakers? You question is kind of confusing but I think you're looking for something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Audiophile-Network-Player-AirPlay/dp/B00AW0SV8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442693778&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+network+audio

Marantz also makes a network audio player.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    he wants to tie his old stuff into wireless speaker so he needs a set of wireless speakers and hook up/transmitter box
    http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Speaker-Kit-Amplifiers/dp/B008BNO40U/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1442781389&sr=1-5&keywords=wireless+speaker+kit
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Yes, I want to get wireless speakers on WI-FI. Most of what I'm seeing only allows playing of digital media, MP3, Spotify, etc. I want to connect 30 year old analog receiver into device that transmits wireless so I can play turntable, CDs, etc. I'll be selling analog speakers, SDA2, once this is setup.
  • Final goal is playing digital media and maintain ability to play old analog media all to wireless speakers without buying new digital receiver.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Wireless speakers is not too hard, the audio out from your older receiver goes to a device's audio input and it then transmits it to the speakers which still need AC power for their built-in amplifiers.
    Your transmitting from your home wi-fi to the older receiver you will need a unit to receive it then convert it to an audio output that goes to the aux in on the older receiver.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    paccbrat wrote: »
    Final goal is playing digital media and maintain ability to play old analog media all to wireless speakers without buying new digital receiver.

Your expecting a significant drop in sound quality then I hope. No cheap wireless speaker is going to come close to the 2b's you have.

I'm not fully understanding the goal. You can burn all your cd's in lossless files and get rid of the cdp. Is it that the wife doesn't want the big speakers anymore ?

I think you have the process in reverse. Wireless works best imho when played through analog gear, not analog gear played through digital. There are many ways to take digital music and stream them around the house. Costs vary, and depending on if you want to play hi-rez files is another consideration.

Sonos makes wireless speakers but you still have to plug them into an outlet for power. They have line level inputs to plug an analog device into them too. Many other brands to consider too, Bluesound node, Def Tech, Denon.....but like I said, sound quality isn't going to be the top priority running analog into small digital speakers.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable