A 7's to 705's and Buyer's Remorse

larlane
larlane Posts: 28
edited September 2015 in Speakers
I know that this hobby has many of us constantly upgrading. In fact I am waiting for "Friends and Family" sale to go from A 7's to 705's hoping not to suffer from buyer's remorse. Anyone make the same jump?

I thought it might be interesting to share the piece of equipment you bought but wished you hadn't. I have to say I'm pretty happy with most of the changes I made - either because it made a big difference or the placebo effect.

One purchase that I really regretted was getting an Oppo 103d. I just don't think it was much better than the Sony player it replaced. I also don't think it was very user friendly. Maybe it was pearls before swine, but I took a 100 hit on the Oppo and bought another Sony.

Comments

• I make it a practice never to look back.

It's always tough to drive in reverse, and that's when you have the highest probability of having an accident! :)

Do the homework on the front end, and you're unlikely to have regrets on the back end.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• I make it a practice never to look back.

It's always tough to drive in reverse, and that's when you have the highest probability of having an accident! :)

Do the homework on the front end, and you're unlikely to have regrets on the back end.

Believe me, I did my homework on the Oppo. Rave reviews are abundant. Just didn't work out for me.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited September 2015
    First time I've ever heard someone not pleased with an oppo. Although I have many friends that scoff at the idea of spending the kind of money that will get you an oppo 105D.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Zero remorse the 705 is far superior in every way, as you said wait for the next sale you wont regret it.

And I agree with moose68bash never look back.

Cheers,Roger
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    If you weren't into the oppo, you definitely won't like the 705's :wink:

In all seriousness the 705's are fantastic. Especially at half price.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    I have the Polk Audio LSiM703 bookshelf speakers in cherry and couldn't be happier with them.
    I doubt you will be disappointed with the LSiM705's.

I have them in ebony and love them.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    I went from A9's to the 705's - no buyers remorse whatsoever
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    larlane wrote: »
    I know that this hobby has many of us constantly upgrading. In fact I am waiting for "Friends and Family" sale to go from A 7's to 705's hoping not to suffer from buyer's remorse. Anyone make the same jump?

You'll need $5000 worth of cables and cable elevators to go with the 705's.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have to say I'm pretty happy with most of the changes I made - either because it made a big difference or the placebo effect.

There is no such thing as a "placebo effect" in audio. That describes a medical issue that is not relevant to audio. The term has been usurped by the not so bright to rationalize their inability to hear differences in gear, cables, etc.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    F1nut wrote: »

LOL...you're so wrong :D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

Don't forget a good power reconditioner and equipment isolation.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    Nightfall wrote: »

Don't forget a good power reconditioner and equipment isolation.

Exactly. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    BlueFox wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a "placebo effect" in audio. That describes a medical issue that is not relevant to audio. The term has been usurped by the not so bright to rationalize their inability to hear differences in gear, cables, etc.

Bravo! After you settle in down the shore, dinner is on me.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    Sounds fine. Unfortunately it will be over a year before I can consider the move.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox wrote: »
    I have to say I'm pretty happy with most of the changes I made - either because it made a big difference or the placebo effect.

Not so bright, huh? Excuse my freaking ignorance. What a jerk.
  • F1nut
    So, you make a dig at the folks who use high end cables, implying they are not so bright, yet can't handle a similar implication directed at folks like you. Typical.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox

Not so bright, huh? Excuse my freaking ignorance. What a jerk.

I wasn't referring to you, but can if you want. I was pointing out there is no audio placebo effect. It is a term misused by those who don't understand it, and try to use it to justify their beliefs.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Went from LSi's to LSIM's ... no comparison...much easier to drive ...musically superior and great for HT as well... at 1/2 price on F&F very nice price point too...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • I have no opinion on your dilemma but I haven't heard that saying in years, Pearls Before Swine . They were actually a heavy acid band that used a famous painter Bosch for their album covers. The show I saw was them, Country Joe & The Fish and headlining The Electric Flag. Talk about a flashback I'm already seeing paisleys and gel light shows oh my...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • BlueFox wrote: »

After looking at your equipment on your signature, I can now see why you took exception to my comment about the $5000 spent on cables and interconnects and my use of the term "placebo effect".

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Quite the investment on cables named for snakes. Surely these came with a free bottle of oil. I am really surprised a true audiophile as yourself is slumming it on the Polk audio forums. It seems that the products here are quite bourgeois for such a refined audio palate. Perhaps your motives are altruistic and you are only here to edify the great unwashed masses.

In any case Emperor, enjoy the clothes.
  • "edify the great unwashed masses."
    can't be referring to me as I just took a shower (no joke)
  • I have no opinion on your dilemma but I haven't heard that saying in years, Pearls Before Swine . They were actually a heavy acid band that used a famous painter Bosch for their album covers. The show I saw was them, Country Joe & The Fish and headlining The Electric Flag. Talk about a flashback I'm already seeing paisleys and gel light shows oh my...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

I used to use the quote when my students would groan at my atrocious puns. I have taken many groups of students to Spain and to the Prado. The Bosch painting is always a favorite. It is fascinating.
  • F1nut
    Actually, I'm the one who took exception to your $5000.00 cable comment.

Anyway, you are quite mistaken about the membership here. We have folks FAR more knowledgeable than most audio forums. Instead of throwing out insults and demonstrating your ignorance, you would do well to shut your mouth, open your mind and learn a thing or two.

President of Club Polk

• you know, you might end up regretting it. Upgrade begets upgrade and the great and small improvements in your listening pleasure are addictive. I wouldn't buy Polk speakers just because there is a huge sale (705's or others) BTW.
  • BlueFox

After looking at your equipment on your signature, I can now see why you took exception to my comment about the $5000 spent on cables and interconnects and my use of the term "placebo effect".

Glad you like the gear. I sure do, and it works and sounds fantastic.

As a side note, I reread all the posts and I do not see where you made any comment about $5000 spent on cables. So I am not sure why you think I took 'exception' to an imaginary statement. That sounds delusional.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Cables are a sensitive area on this forum. I personally haven't experimented with them, but on various items I have tried, from reading these posts, I have noticed an improvement.

I really don't understand why anybody would consider it slumming on this particular forum. Everybody seems to be welcomed here, weather they use Polk products, or another manufacturer. You really don't see that very much on other manufacturers sites. Sure there is bias from individuals for or against certain brands, but that's simply human nature.

Questions are always welcome. Opinions are the basis of many discussions. Rebuttals are encouraged. Insults will result in nothing more than provoking long standing members making you look foolish.
  • la2vegas wrote: »
    I haven't been here long, but I learned something early on. Don't rock the boat or you might find yourself booted off the island. Just ask PFB.

You'd have to be wearing skinny jeans in a wrecked automatic Porsche for that...
  • rpf65 wrote: »
    Cables are a sensitive area on this forum. I personally haven't experimented with them, but on various items I have tried, from reading these posts, I have noticed an improvement.

I really don't understand why anybody would consider it slumming on this particular forum. Everybody seems to be welcomed here, weather they use Polk products, or another manufacturer. You really don't see that very much on other manufacturers sites. Sure there is bias from individuals for or against certain brands, but that's simply human nature.

Questions are always welcome. Opinions are the basis of many discussions. Rebuttals are encouraged. Insults will result in nothing more than provoking long standing members making you look foolish.

Well said rpf, some very knowledgeable members who share their know how & their wit freely. 'Appreciate it, not always easy to find.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    You know BluFox has some really nice gear, and he a valued member of this forum who never rubs it in the really nice stuff he has, if you think its all of it is snake oil then I feel sorry for you because=

You going to mess out on a grand journey Audiophiles of all budgets learn about and strive for, and that is only found buy & using better cables wither Power, analog, or speaker cables. And your only holding your self back thinking that way and I hope you become smart enough to explore those options and learn what you missing and find that WOW! factor we all are searching for because=

How can you judge his stuff if you never heard his equipment? or cables? most people who call something snake oil have never heard them or listen to anything like them. So I ask you to be more open about it and enjoy your journey!

The people on this forum have open my eyes & ears like never before, I would be still listen to music thru my Bose speakers on a AVR if not for finding this place and I having a blast and sure hope you are too!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    The most simple mistake is assuming that everyone on this forum runs polk gear. I believe it's where most of us have started, (myself included) and have moved to other gear, but not to a better forum. A better forum with genuine people and helpful answers to every question under the sun just doesn't exist.