Audio Technica ATH-M50 tip replacement

gmcman
gmcman Posts: 1,739
edited August 2015 in Headphones
Long story short, I had them in my son's iPad and upon removal the tip was gone. The tip came out of the socket of the iPad but now I need either a new end or an entire cord.

Has anyone had to replace a cord on these particular headphones? Any recommendations?

They are out of warranty also.

I would like to keep the stress reliever on the end but it's not a deal breaker. I could easily solder a new end but I don't want to compromise anything it terms of SQ.

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2015
    D A M N! How did you do that? Those M50 ends are solid metal and virtually indestructible, some of the best I've ever seen, on the old models that is-not on the X series which cheapened out!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • gmcman
    I know....I miss them already..my heart sank when I saw this but at least they aren't incredibly expensive but still..unnecessary expenditures.

Looks like some black plastic in there if I'm not mistaken.506p7zy7r72h.jpeg
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2015
    gmcman wrote: »
    I know....I miss them already..my heart sank when I saw this but at least they aren't incredibly expensive but still..unnecessary expenditures.

Looks like some black plastic in there if I'm not mistaken.506p7zy7r72h.jpeg

That's impressive! Can't believe what I'm seeing as I sit here looking at mine? But there it is. Hopefully some DIY guys will step in here, I could never repair that. And, unfortunately, if you had the new M50Xs you'd have two other cables to work with and/or could just buy a cable replacement of the same kind and snap it in. The only real downfall of the original M50s. A shame. They're really nice HPs in their price range. I've never bothered to upgrade them, I merely went a little higher with open cans like the HD600s and the AKG Q701s below. Between all three I'm covered for whatever. Portable? I go with the KOSS PortaPros.

There must be some repair info on Head-fi.org, no?
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    Can't offer much help, but there are numerous DIY videos on how to switch the ATH M50s over to detachable cables.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • gmcman
    badchad wrote: »
    Can't offer much help, but there are numerous DIY videos on how to switch the ATH M50s over to detachable cables.

I will look into that, thanks.